TKR A New Chapter Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
The surgeon prescribed the hydro codeine same dose I had been on before surgery . I about flipped . I am not one to use or abuse pain meds. . But when I have pain I want it gone . So the PA gave me 19 oxycodine to get me through until OS would fil a script . So I was to suffer through . The two week the tok out staples so ill and in pain staples bled. The four week check up the OS give me scripts for two pain meds . OxyContin and hydrocodne 10 325 . Not sure why he would give them for weeks post op . I needed them sooner. The OxyContin I have never taken one . Yes there is a drug problem but doctors need to allow people with pain to manage the pain .
 
Pjmc I couldn't agaree more -- but it not somuch the doctors' fault as it is the DEA and the FDA, who are cracking down more on the doctors not to "overprescribe." And so the doctors have to walk eggshells not to run afoul of the DEA and lose their prescribing license. AND, to make it worse, I saw on CBS news today that the wonderful FDA proposes to move Vicodin to the Class II drug list (like Oxy), which would make it one of those you have to actually have to go to the doctor to pick up the scrp, can't be called in, etc. Thanks, FDA -- I'm sure you have made the world safe from drug abuse by harming those who need the drugs for real PAIN!

If they'd crack down more on the abusers and less on the suffering patients, seems like that would do more good. I personally do not see how it is the FDA's business what doctors prescribe for their patients who are in pain, as most post-surgical people ARE!

Fooey!
 
@ Butterfly I agree with you 100% .
FYI this summer I became obsessed with Butterflies ordered caterpillars and raised them into painted Lady Butterfly . I placed my order for next spring before my surgery to show I had hope and something to look forward to.
 
My recovery is moving along as it should.

I saw my primary care physician and began outpatient physical therapy Tuesday. My primary care physician said I am not getting good pain control but is unwilling to give me a script. He said in his opinion it would be unethical as I am under the os care for the surgery. He did convince me not to hoard or ration the pain meds I do have. If I need more he gave me ideas to get more from my os.

The physical therapy went well. Nothing pushed me to pain. I am doing the exercises and my knee is loosening up. I can also go all the way around on my stationary bike now and maybe next week I will lower the seat. I haven't had a meltdown in weeks.

My knee is still very swollen, more so than one week ago. I do ice and elevate a lot. My nights are getting me down. I can go all day with just aleve and maybe one vicodin but nights I am in a lot of pain. I have been taking my stronger pain meds at night which helps and I see that the night problem is very common.

All in all I am quite happy with my progress. Of course, I want it much faster but I realize I can't rush it and I feel very blessed that all has gone so well. Monday will be 4 weeks.

This site has helped me along so much. Reading what everyone goes thru makes it so much easier to understand all the challenges. Thanks for reading my update.
 
Sounds like you are doing great with your recovery. How wonderful. It is so exciting the first go around on the bike - makes you feel like a little kid again on your first bike.:bicycle1:
 

My biggest challenges are sleep and doc being stingy with pain meds.


Thanks for this awesome site and the support.
My doctor said my medicine is for pain not comfort. He had me on 1 percocet every 4 hours. I am taking 2 about 1 hr before PT which last 4 to 5 hr.
 
Well, your doc misses the point that no pain provides comfort. I hope he keeps giving you pain control. Take care, Lee. :flwrysmile:
 
I HATE all this stinginess with pain meds for people they KNOW need them -- we are post-surgical patients, after all, not people just in off the street. FDA and DEA seem to feel that stinginess with pain meds equals less drug abuse, which is absolute, gold-plated bull, so they crack down on docs prescribing pain meds. I certainly see the sense in not prescribing a sackful of oxy to someone with hangnails, but after major orthopedic surgery?? Gimme a break!!

Why do they always have to take a sledgehammer approach to stuff like this, anyway? Regulate it where it needs regulating, like in questionable circumstances, but NOT in the case of those of us with real documentable cause of pain, like major orthopedic surgery, or cancer, or any other reason that causes real pain. Just makes me furious at the flat stupidity in Washington. Let's not pick on drug dealers, let's pick on patients in real pain!!

Excuse the soapbox, but REALLY!!
 
Thank you all for the support and the great advice. I am in much less pain now. The night and the morning are the worst and I have been taking the pain meds at that time but I hardly need anything once I get going although the pain is seeming to creep up a bit during the day lately. I am swelling again quite a bit but icing and elevating which is not seeming to help. I am doing more now but I dont really think that I am overdoing it. All seems to be progressing normally so I'm happy with that. :thankyou:
 
Hi crystals5
Take the pain meds as needed, particularly for sleeping because without sleep, everything else seems so much more difficult. I know for myself, the better I felt, the more I did because it felt good in the moment. There is a very fine line between just right and too much and unfortunately you never know until it's too late. If I was more swollen, I made myself do much less the next day to try and reduce it. I am the reverse, I don't need my pain meds at night and sleep better without them. I use them in the middle of the day when I reach the point of having done too much or just to keep going at a comfortable level. Hope you find the best balance for you.
Stacie
 
Thanks Nomorepain67. You are right there is a very fine line and I am learning every single day. But every day seems to get better and less pain meds needed. I am still taking one to sleep but I am sleeping much longer and waking in less pain so it is better and better.
 
An update for me is Monday was 5 weeks for me since surgery. I have had ups and downs but until the 5 weeks I did everything recommended on this site and it worked so well. I did almost nothing but ice, elevate and gentle exercise. Well, Sunday I began to drive since I no longer take narcotic pain meds during the day. Needless to say I have hardly been home during the day since then. I am paying dearly now.

I am swollen and hurting. On Tuesday my physical therapist said I was doing so well I only need to come every two weeks and do the exercises at home. Today my os told me I have a B+ in recovery. I'm sure I would have received an A had I not overdone it all week long. I am very swollen and not able to bend as much as I was. To my utter amazement he gave me 60 more oxy and assured me that this is all I'm getting so I'm saving it for the evenings when I get home from work once I go back. I am so amazed that he did that and I still have about 40 left that I was saving so I'm sure I'm more than fine to get through this.

I am so grateful for this site but so disappointed in myself for overdoing it when I have been so warned about it but it is almost as if a switch went off in my system telling me the body was done healing.........maybe the knee is not but I believe the body is done with the healing from the surgery. I hope I have not done any permanent damage. Xrays were taken today and all looks great.

Anyway, I am getting my car outta here so I am not tempted. If the car isn't here I won't be tempted. I intend to stay home for a week or two and only walk where I need to go. There are places I can walk to within a few blocks if I need to which should condition me for my return to work at Christmas time and I will stay home and go through boxes and old tapes which need to be cleared out.

All who have had this surgery should listen to all the advice given. I am blessed that thus far my recovery has basically gone so well and I really have until this week done almost nothing. I am now icing and will continue to treat my knee well.
I hope everyone else is doing well and thank you so much for all the helpful advice.
 
So you think it was the driving and the getting in and out of the car and going into shops,etc that hurt you? I understand if that's it. I find that to be very exhausting and I only do it in limited fashion. I plan my trips very strategically with minimal stops.
Or was it something else?
You HAVE done so well!!!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
We all get over excited when some freedom comes, totally normal and a good reminder that we are still healing. You might want to continue driving once in a while also - but keep it under control. If you walk too much you will also be overdoing. It is getting our balance back between activity and rest that is important and remembering to continue listening to our knees. You are doing great.
 
Thanks maggie may and leejaa. I know I'm doing well and am very grateful for that and yes, its going to shops, banks, post office, doctors, physical therapy, visiting my dad in nursing home. When the car is here I just can't stop myself. I was out all morning again BUT the car goes for a week in a couple of hours. I iced all night last night and the knee is way better but not quite where it was so I look forward to getting it totally okay.

I wish everyone be blessed with proper and speedy healing.
 
I have a question if anyone can answer it. Tomorrow is 6 weeks since my LTKR and I had some ups and downs in the very beginning but basically a great recovery.

I overdid it last week and knee became very swollen and sore. I have been icing and elevating and not doing a whole lot. Today I did some very easy exercises which I haven't done in about 4 days. It felt good.

My question is this: My surgical knee is turning black and blue. I haven't hit it on anything or twisted it to my knowledge. Is this normal? Should I be concerned? It has looked really good up to this point. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
 
My question is this: My surgical knee is turning black and blue. I haven't hit it on anything or twisted it to my knowledge. Is this normal? Should I be concerned? It has looked really good up to this point. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Mine also turned black and blue at about the same time.
[Bonesmart.org] A New Chapter Begins
 
Merela, I only had one done but it sure looks about the same. Hopefully, it won't get worse. Thanks for the input. I'm glad to hear its normal. I won't worry about it. :thankyou:
 
7 weeks out today and I think I'm doing really well but knee is still very stiff and swollen and recently black and blue. I ice constantly. I don't elevate with the icing constantly but I do elevate a few times a day. I don't do a whole lot. There is really no pain. Just sore. Other than that I feel really good and since I kept leaving my cane everywhere I have been going without it for most of the past week. I put on the TED hose today and if feels really good.

I also cannot straighten my leg at all. I lay on my stomach on the bed with my knees hanging off but can only do that for a few minutes and I leave it straight on an ottoman, again only for a few minutes. Rom was 120 two weeks ago. I go to physical therapy again Wednesday. I hope I haven't lost anything on movement.

I guess I just need reassurance that this is all normal.
 
Crystal it sounds like you are doing well!! Maybe not elevating enough if the knee is stiff and swollen. But otherwise great!
I don't know about straightening the knee better I think straight leg quad tightening sets would help though. Maybe 3 sets of 10?
Let me know how you are!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom