TKR A New Chapter Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Maggie May. I'm not sure what leg quad tightening sets are?? I may be doing them now and just don't know the name. Anyway, I have been elevating more.... the knee seems to be getting more black and blue. I get measured tomorrow and hopefully I'll feel better if I have not lost any motion. Thanks.

I hope all is well with you also. Are you still doing okay?
 
Funny you should ask. My PT told me she has trouble describing how to do this exercise. Anyway lay your leg out flat in front of you on the bed or recliner. Now put your hand on your area right above your knee (not too far up just above the knee) and tighten it. Feel it? That's the top of your quad and you should have felt your leg automatically straighten. Make sense?
 
welcome to the other side! wishing you a speedy recovery! wow they got you up on day one after a general!!! ask your doc for tramadol, ice and elevate!
 
@ Crystal5

The members of the group that know will most likely tell you not to worry about the number . Mine changes each time they measure . Please do not let the number discourage you .
 
maggie may DAJ Pjmc Thank you for responding and for the advice. I have read your threads and know you have been through a lot with this surgery also.
maggie may, I have done those exercises and will concentrate more on them now. My knee is absolutely stubborn about straightening.:gaah:
DAJ I cannot take tramadol as I take wellbutrin and they do not mix. Even though my os kept threatening "no more meds" he did prescribe them to the point I feel I have enough to get through this and even some socked away for when I start work. I love my os.....:happydance:
Pjmc I know about the numbers. I really do but when I seem to be getting more swollen and going backwards it is a bit discouraging.:bicycle2:
As I've learned here I need to practice patience. So much easier said than done. And even with all my whining I know I am doing extremely well with my recovery and am very happy most of the time.
:thankyou: :thumb:
 
I'm 8 weeks out today and feeling really good. :spin:

I need to step up my activity as I am due back at work in 4 weeks and my job is 8 hours on my feet. Based on all I have heard here and from my os I may or may not make it. I want to do all I can to keep the job. But Im resigned if I lose it I lose it. There are worse things that could happen.

I took Friday and Saturday off from exercise as it was raining and I live in the desert so when it rains its a great event:happydance: and I was out in it. I only missed my dog who I lost 8 months ago and once she reluctantly got out in it she played in the rain with me.:puppysmooze: I tried to get my cat to go out with me but she wasn't having it. :skep:

Yesterday I did my exercises and did those that were generously recommended to me by some great veterans on this site. :thankyou: I then took a 45 minute walk in some great weather. I was swollen last night so I iced and put on my ted hose.

To my surprise I was way less swollen today then I have been in awhile.

I just walked for awhile with my son and my granddog. I start out not limping and by the end of the walk I was limping. Oh well I'm doing so well I can't complain. I'll work on it.

For all the newbies it does get better.

Thank you to all on this site for your support and wisdom. I only hope I can give some back. :thankyou:
 
Crystal i am so happy to hear you are feeling better!!! :kittykiss:
 
Crystal I am glad you had some nice outside times. THere is nothing like some fresh air and nature to help with lifting the mood, at least for me. I hope you have a wonderful day tomorrow. Lee :kittykiss:
 
Thank you maggie may and leejaa I will do my best :)
 
Crystal....how is that bruising? Better? Do be careful when walking that you don't do so much as to cause a limp. That is counter-productive and can give you more swelling. Take a cane along with you on walks so you can use it if you get tired instead of limping along.
 
Jamie The bruising is still there but seems much better. I went to the dentist today (2 hour round trip) and on my way back stopped at my os office. I had what I thought and my pt thought was a stitch sticking out of my scar. Not sure what it was. Anyway, the os nurse told me to stop by if I was in the area and she would look at it and pull it out. We think it was a scar. Anyway a teeny tiny hole in my knee now after she pulled it out. The crazy thing is I meant to ask her about the bruising and totally forgot. If it was anything to be concerned about I'm sure she would have mentioned it.

I'm toast now and still limping, I went for a turkey after all of that, the stores are already madhouses. (thank goodness my son's girlfriend is doing the meal) I meant to get back to my exercises and practicing today but I will just ice unless I feel better later.

I really hate to go back to using a cane but will take your advice. I still always have it with me (unless I forget it). I just don't use it when I begin to limp.
:thankyou:
 
Sending you energy and healing!!!! Take care , Crystal
 
Use the cane, it is better to get a good step/stride with the cane than to get used to limping and not walking as you should - it will need to be unlearned. :console2:
 
Hi Cheryl, I am just a few weeks behind you. I think we all get our flexibility back and ROM in a different time frame. Also having a TKR is like being on a rollercoatser. Some days are good and then the next day we are on a backs unable to move with or without pain meds. Then I am sure, after reading some of the post here that one doesn't remember how much pain we were in and are thinking of planning the next TKR if needed. I have had my share of ups and downs in the few short weeks of my RTKR Oct 23, 2013. I am glad I had the surgery. When the going gets rough I simple take my pain meds, rest, ice, and try to take it easy. I am so glad that your knee is feeling so much better and hope you continue to improve every day. :egypdance:
 
Thanks for the encouragement chestnc My knee is better. I guess I overdid it today but didn't really think I did. Anyway, I slept for a couple of hours and now I took some pain meds am icing and feel much better. I got some very good ideas this week and am working on extension exercises and I think they might be working. Its strange though because before surgery my os got me on the table saw my extension and said I probably would not be much better than that after surgery. Now he wants me to hang 5 LBS> :yikes: of weights on the the ankles lay on my stomach and hang them over the bed. :rotfl: I do admit I saw a tip from Josephine and have put two cans of veges in a bag and hung that on my ankle. Can only do it a few seconds though.

You sound like you are doing really great for so soon out.:yay: Continue with the great healing. Keep us posted and thank you for the encouraging post. :flwrysmile:
 
Crystals 5 - 5# to begin with is way too much. First try with just no weights and see if you can tolerate it and than add weight slowly - 1/2 lb or 1lb at a time. My home PT even told me to add weights slowly just to start strengthening when doing leg lifts or anything for exercising. I bought ankle weights that started low and had removeable weights I could add as I progressed. Slow is better than fast with our knees and muscles and tendons and rest in between. Have to continue being kind to ourselves and our knees. Lee:flwrysmile:
 
I knew when he told me 5lbs it was not going to happen at this point. I'm moving along and doing well concentrating on all I'm learning for extension. Hoping to see some results soon. Thanks @leeja
 
Crystal5 , I hope you are having a nice pain free day and a good thanksgiving day. Lee:flwrysmile:
 
Once the PT gets you to add weights I am sure they skip the part this should be a gradual increase. Mine did the same thing here and I physically could not lift the weight. He was taken aback when I said you can remove the weight.

He stood there with a smirk on his face and I said seriously remove the weight it is too much and I will injure what I have maintained.
I got the typical- you have to feel pain to have a gain.

So I sat up and reached down to remove the velcro on the weight. Patients around me started complaining no one listens. An it is us who are in pain not the PT.

Being trained in this area actually has not made me feel confident in the PT I have had to look after my recovery.
I am determined to not go backwards.

I use my cane only when I go out now. I dont need it at home.
You will find using it is far better then getting a limp.

Sounds as though your coming along, i did have a stitch come out but I tend to reject them.
Lucky its only been one or two so far.

Take care and remember to take your meds and rest and elevate and ice.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom