A little worried

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today is six weeks post op for me and I am feeling really well. I now can walk with no sticks and no limp. I am back to nearly all my normal activities, doing the housework, animals, gardening, driving. I no longer have any pain, just first thing in the morning when I get up the muscles in my leg feel tight but by the time Im washed and dressed it all feels fine. My scar has started to even out, all the bumpiness has now gone and it is soft and feels like my normal thigh, I am amazed at how quickly I have returned to feeling normal. If anyone reads this who is waiting for surgery or trying to decide if it's the right thing, I without a shadow of a doubt would say it is by far the best thing I have ever done for myself. I did have pain when I woke up but the nurses soon had that beat. The discomfort you feel for the first week or so is nothing to the pain I had before my op. Everyday, every activity, every step was painful. I lived a half life before this surgery now I'm back to ninety per cent and soon I will have my whole life back as it once was. I just feel it's been another adventure along my life path and if I could turn back the clock I doubt I would change it. Having been through the pain and the disabling effects of my hip injury it has helped me to understand and feel empathy for others who suffer pain and disability. I now appreciate being fit and able to do things for myself so much more than before. I am so thankfull to every one involved in my surgery and my recovery, my family and the lovely people on this forum who offer help, understanding and sometimes just a comforting reply.
 
@worthysmum . Happy anniversary to both of us today. I just came back from a 5 km walk which involved some bush-wacking with my umbrella. I wanted to mix it up with my walking and decided to walk around a local lake I used to walk around when I still had my dog 14 years ago. Guess what? The trail is completely overgrown with blackberries and salal and I could only find parts of it. Then I ended up in someones backyard. The dogs barked, the owner came around. I was hoping he would, because my legs where being gripped my the vicious blackberry vines. At first he was kind of gruff [understandably], but I explained and then let me walk across his lawn to his driveway. Thank God. I am not going that way again, however, in a way it was fun. And most of all: I had absolutely no pain. I am so happy for your great results as I am happy for mine. I wish everyone had those results.
Tomorrow I have my follow up with one of the doctors who did the surgery. I have questions in regards to permissible stretches. I want to start getting more flexibility back.
 
Wow...you both seem to be doing do well...so pleased for you both. Cheers Chrissie xxxx
 
I am seeing my os next week and was going to ask him to sign me fit to work. So rang my manager just to let her know and keep her in the loop and to my utter shock they have given my job to someone else, I am so shocked and upset, I am speechless. :boohoo:
 
I am seeing my os next week and was going to ask him to sign me fit to work. So rang my manager just to let her know and keep her in the loop and to my utter shock they have given my job to someone else, I am so shocked and upset, I am speechless. :boohoo:
Not sure that is legal @worthysmum ! You can't be fired for taking sick time. I don't know what your particular situation is but I would fight that one!
 
@worthysmum . The news about what your boss did makes me sad. And mad. Was that all she said or did she tell you about a different position she has for you?
Wow, that really, really sucks :hissy:.
 
Sadly it is totally legal, you can be dismissed while on sick leave. They havent handled it in the right way though. I should have been called in for a meeting for them to discuss with me what they intended to do and why. My manager won't discuss it with me, just told me to talk to the MD who conviniently is away on holiday for ten days. So Im just left in limbo and worried out of my mind. I feel so let down by them, never once in my life have I claimed a single benefit, never been off sick, never been unemployed. The only time in my life I have genuinely needed time off, and they get rid of me. Boy it smarts. I really love my job and I have always bent over backwards for them. God do I feel bitter.
 
@worthysmum. This seems totally out of order...... How unfair to do that at this time in your recovery ...Although it's legal to dismiss someone whilst on long term sick leave they should have called you in for a disciplinary hearing first... Could you get in touch with ACAS who may be able to help you..... It's worth a try? Their telephone helpline is ; 08457 474747.... Other than that do you have a union rep? At least you might get some compensation ( or at least make life as difficult for them as they are making it for you)..... With best wishes... Chrissie xxx
 
@worthysmum , if you do have a union rep, please call them for advice. At a minimum I would write a letter (marked confidential for him/her only) detailing how unfairly you have been treated. They have a procedure and they did not follow it. That is unfair dismissal. Don't get mad - get even! :hissy:
 
Sadly it is totally legal, you can be dismissed while on sick leave.
It's definitely not legal. There has to be 'due process' when terminating an employee. There has to be discussion and the employee has to be informed of the process as it develops. I've been in occupational health for 20 years and know this back to front. You can take them to an employment tribunal and get compensated.

What kind of company did you work for?
But your manager was correct not to discuss it with you. It is a job for the MD and an HR person if the company has one. I suggest that if you manage to get an interview with him you take a friend or someone for moral support. Would be even better if there is a union rep.

This information is from the Gov.UK site

Considering dismissing an employee
Dismissal is a last resort and you should consider as many ways as possible to help the employee back to work, including:
  • getting a medical report from their GP with the employee’s permission - they have the right to see the report before you do
  • arranging an occupational health assessment
  • work out whether or not they’re disabled and make any reasonable adjustments to help them do their job
If the employee can’t do their job because there are no reasonable adjustments that can be made, it may be fair for you to dismiss them, even if they’re disabled.

Wrongful dismissal
This is where you break the terms of an employee’s contract in the dismissal process, eg dismissing someone without giving them proper notice.

Wrongful dismissal isn’t the same as unfair dismissal.

If an employee thinks you’ve dismissed them unfairly, constructively or wrongfully, they might take you to an employment tribunal.

3. Unfair dismissals
Even if your boss thinks you’ve been dismissed fairly, you could still claim unfair dismissal against them if you think that:
  • the reason you gave for the dismissal wasn’t the real one
  • the reason was unfair
  • they acted unreasonably, eg by failing to give them plenty of warning about their dismissal
So you need to see a solicitor and get some legal advice. Don't let them get away with this.
 
Oh my goodness! @worthysmum My jaw dropped to the floor when I read your post about giving your job to
someone else. WOW!
Look into those things posted here by others. I hope you can get some justice from this, though maybe not a good thing to get your job back at this place. Boooo!
I cannot even begin to think of how stressful this would be at this time.
Hugs
 
If you have been with your job for a certain length of time you would have signed a FAML form which protects your job and you are allowed 12 weeks off of work either in intervals or one time per year I would check into that. Mine has already been signed
 
If you have been with your job for a certain length of time you would have signed a FAML form which protects your job and you are allowed 12 weeks off of work either in intervals or one time per year I would check into that. Mine has already been signed
@barbaranna The Family Medical Leave Act only applies to the United States. Worthysmum is in the United Kingdom.
 
It's definitely not legal. There has to be 'due process' when terminating an employee. There has to be discussion and the employee has to be informed of the process as it develops. I've been in occupational health for 20 years and know this back to front. You can take them to an employment tribunal and get compensated.
It looks quite straightforward to me, get a lawyer on the job. I'd suggest having a look at this site, I don't know of them, and never even knew you can get no-win-no-fee solicitors on employment issues, but worth considering

https://www.got-the-boot.com/

I'd go for their throats and start planning what to spend your compensation on.
 
Oh should of looked at that . Sorry. That is sad when you can't even take care of your health
 
Thank you every one for your advice. I have today rang ACAS, they were so helpful and have advised me on what to do and how to do it. I also have a meeting arranged with CAB. I have sent a letter, recorded delivery to the company raising a grievance and asking for a meeting with the MD as soon as he is back from holiday. A friend of mine is a teacher and also a union rep she is coming with me as at the moment I feel a little fragile emotionally and bursting into tears wont get me too far in a meeting!!! I have also registered my CV with some agencies to see whats about that may suit me. Sadly I know the person who has taken my job, that has left a bitter taste in my mouth too, as they did not breathe a word to me:cry: On a good note still feel well and no pain, walking lots and trying to stay cheerfull:)
 
Good for you! They mustn't get away with treating you like this. Glad you are feeling good hip wise ;-)
 
Muster everything you can to keep the tears at bay when you are facing these folks. Your good attitude and a smile is part of a wonderful revenge!!! I know this works from personal experience when I went through a really bad time at work years ago. Hang in there. Right will win out!!! Tenacity is what counts in dealing with a case like this.

I know it's tough to have to deal with this legal action AND your recovery. But you have many, many friends here on BoneSmart who will always be ready to listen if you need to vent or have someone to talk with. We're here for you!!!
 
So glad you got some help from ACAS.....hoping you get something positive from your meeting with the MD....Jamie is so right...you will have to prepare yourself...can so understand why you would be emotional...it's a very difficult situation to be in....but don't let them beat you....show them hell. As for the person who has taken your job....let's hope the same doesn't happen to her too!!
So glad that you are are getting on well with your recovery....that's such a positive....let us know how you get on...take care and keep your chin up. Love Chrissie
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom