• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

[THR] A Hip Recover Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
D

DEL2019Sep-7

You are always so encouraging and congratulating. Much appreciated! I actually was very surprised last night. No muscle spasms, restless leg, and other nasty night visitors. Hope tonight brings another night of ahhh, beautiful sleep. Piriformis stretches were my go to stretches pre surgery, but until I can laterally rotate and internally cross the mid-line of my body, they are no-nos. Gluteal stretches aren't bad, but not really addressing my core problems. Glutes need activation, not stretching. I'm actually, much to my personal disappointment, not doing lots of walking. Just the stairs, which I leap in a single bound! LOL And the uphill trek up my driveway to go to garbage cans and mailbox. I do a bit in my small ohana, but not the same. However, it's on my today's list, weather permitting, to take a walk down our tree-lined street and breathe, breathe, breathe that wonderful lifegiving outside air.

Visit with girlfriend was good for both of us. It's always incredibly wonderful to share stories with good and trusted friends (she has her stuff too, though not hip related, which frustrates the heck out of her...don't we all...which she needed to get off her chest). Later in the evening my daughter joined me for an hour, sipping tea together. She's pretty anxious about her upcoming labrum repair surgery and needed to vent her concerns with me. I'm grateful that we have the kind of relationship that she can still just hang with mom.

OK off to bound up those stairs to let the dogs out. Wheeeeeee! Have an incredibly beautiful day and keep on keepin' on! :dancy::egypdance::happydance::yay:

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

DEL2019Sep-7

Winding down my day...many moments of cabin fever:hairpulling: which lets me know I'm getting better. I didn't walk as planned, but I did the stairs about 6 times. That in itself is quite a feat because there are lots of them! I even gave my daughter a leg and foot massage, something I've always done regularly but haven't been able to since my surgery...until now. :loveshwr:

I have a new goal for next week...planning on driving to Mercer Island Community Center on Monday to be with my pickle ball peeps. Don't be shocked...I'm not playing. Whew! It's Jack's birthday (he's 94) and he hasn't played in years because he broke his hip which took him permanently off the courts, but he does show up regularly to play cribbage with several of the players there. Such a sweet and caring community. I'm excited to get back out into the world, most especially to celebrate with this lovely man. What a sweetheart!!!:flwrysmile:

Off to dreamland...sweet dreams fellow hipsters! :yawn:

Barbaraj

supremo
Country
United States United States
Good report. Sounds like the day went well yesterday even if it didn't involve a walk--chugging up and down the stairs 6 times sounds like a LOT of work to me, and definitely counts as exercise. And how nice that your daughter came over for tea and a chat. Nice to have a goal for next week, too, those are what keep us moving along the recovery road. I am sure your friends will be glad to see you and full of praise for how well you're doing. You can look down demurely and say in a self deprecating way, "oh, not that great"! I find it's always nice when folks tell me (whether it's the truth or not!) that I'm doing "great", puts a little oomph in my step! Have a wonderful Friday.

OP
OP
D

DEL2019Sep-7

You can look down demurely and say in a self deprecating way, "oh, not that great"! I find it's always nice when folks tell me (whether it's the truth or not!) that I'm doing "great", puts a little oomph in my step!
LOLOL:rotfl: Barbara, you crack me up. We think so much alike! Although, I don't think anybody has ever called me "demure." :loll: But yes, it will be good to see them, watch them play, and to celebrate Jack's 94th BDay. Wow...what a long life. And he's such a love-bug.

Just received a call from my daughter who is heading into work. Prepare for tonight...my grandson and his girlfriend are coming over to make us tacos and brownies! I will eat my daughter's share of brownies as she (Ms. Keto girl) doesn't do delicious desserts like that anymore. Poor thing. :snork: It will be my first social event since surgery. I'm a recluse down in my ohana so I'm really looking forward to being around a "crowd" of loved ones.

Daily massage and icing to my ITband and quads (from knee right up to where the surgery site is), at least 5 times per day, is now becoming my new norm. I don't want this ITB pain to become chronic, which it could if not attended to. Self massage is helping lots, though not pleasant. I never do anything to the grit-my-teeth kind of pain, always the hurts good kind of pain or maybe just a hair more.

Hoping your day is absolutely lovely and you're staying dry. Fall is here in the NW...hardly even saw any summer. :thud: Be well.

OP
OP
D

DEL2019Sep-7

:wow: Finally, a beautiful sunny day in the Seattle area. The NW drizzles can sometimes give me the drizzles, particularly if I'm locked up due to surgery. Help...let me out! :sos: I shouldn't complain. My daughter texted me to see if I wanted to get out this morning and she would drive me to wherever. I would have said yes, but I didn't sleep great last night...probably because of the chocolate brownie I had before going to bed. Chocolate and sugar keeps me awake. My bad! But it was worth it because my grandson and his girlfriend came over to partake in delicious tacos (and a brownie) and give us details and share lots of incredible photos of their recent trip to Norway. And Devin is of Norwegian heritage. His girlfriend is E. Indian. What a pair they are. He is a very tall, fair handsome blonde and she is a beautiful tiny dark skinned, dark haired gal. And they make me laugh!:happydance: Which is a good thing. This has been the first time I've been up and around on my feet for more than an hour, a good test for my hip. It passed with flying colors. :dancy:I barely noticed that I'd had a hip replacement. Yahoo! For sure I will test drive it :driver:as I maneuver the freeways of Seattle to attend Jack's 94th birthday party on Monday. Fingers crossed...:fingersx:

One thing I've been doing is reading through all of the threads and find myself smiling at the incredible support shown here to members who have just had surgery, or are still struggling weeks or months out because of complications. Thanks BoneSmart for being here. You really do make a difference in people's lives.

Off I go to enjoy the sunshine, and the ducks, the geese, the eagles, the squirrels (was just entertained by two outside my window), the herons, and the myriad of wildlife that lives here at Lake Kathleen. I'm blessed!

Barbaraj

supremo
Country
It is a nice day out there, isn't it? I had lunch with a friend in downtown Edmonds, and then we walked over to the farmer's market, a nice stroll through booths with fresh fruit and vegetables, jewelry and other stuff I really don't need, and lots of folks out enjoying the pleasant second half of the day with smiles on their faces, and so many with big bouquets of flowers. At $10 a bunch, they are very affordable and so colorful. Sorry about your less than restful night's sleep, but I am betting that delicious brownie was worth every bite!

Layla

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Good Afternoon
It sounds like the weather there has been pretty dreary. Hooray for sunshine! Hopefully you sleep better tonight after a less than desirable Friday night's sleep. Be careful on those freeways on Monday after you're time off. I hope you enjoy the 94th birthday party. An occasion worth celebrating for sure!
On behalf of BoneSmart, thanks for the kudos and being a part of it all!

OP
OP
D

DEL2019Sep-7

Be careful on those freeways on Monday after you're time off. I hope you enjoy the 94th birthday party.
@Layla Freeway in Seattle is an oxymoron. Most of the time the speed is 10 MPH. LOL And, fortunately, if traffic does happen to move faster, I'm only on it for a short while before I turn off to my destination. I will be very careful! Thanks!

@Barbaraj How I love farmers' markets! The perfect place to buy things we don't need!!

Have a good one both you.

Barbaraj

supremo
Country
I am late checking in on BS today as my husband and I spent all day watching the grands so our daughter and son-in-law could go watch the Seahawks lose their game. Both hubby and I have colds so we were trying to stay away from the grands who, fortunately, have kiddos on their cul du sac to play with so we're not front and center entertainment. I hope you had a good Sunday and tomorrow is the birthday party in Mercer Island, right? I know you're looking forward to it and it sound like it will be a fun occasion--definitely something to look forward to on yet another wet day tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
malsi lestari
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom