• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

[THR] A Hip Recover Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ptarmigan

senior
Country
United States United States
Hello!

It’s great to read that you are having no difficulty finding interesting things to occupy your time while you recuperate. You sound very much at peace with all recovery brings your way. Sending you wishes for continued healing!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

DEL2019Sep-7

Thanks so much for your kind words. There will come a time, knowing myself because of other major surgeries, that I will go bonkers with the "interesting things occupying my time". That's when I know, that my healing has reached a new level. It's also the time to be extremely cautious because "I feel so good, lets do more" will enter my self-talk!! LOL A perfect time for injury, even minor strain to occur. It's no wonder my Iwatch reminds me every 30 minutes to "Breathe." Have a great one and continued healing to you as well!

OP
OP
D

DEL2019Sep-7

Coming to the end of another day and two weeks post recovery. Well, glad I'm not where I was, but looking forward to more healing. Pain is not nearly what it was, sometimes I feel not much even when walking. Then, later, I pull myself up from my recliner, take that first step, and wonder if I was making it all up, as the pain lets me know of its presence and the recent assault my sweet hip received not too long ago. As with my knee replacement in 2011, my foot is numb, not so much when walking, but definitely when lying down. I'm not liking that as I've never been done with knee issues post surgery, especially the neuraligia in my foot. Hoping its temporary. If not, another new normal I will get used to, eventually, much to the chagrin of my "inner child" who I can hear stomping her feet at yet another unwanted change!

Off I go to more reading... taking in the encouraging words of a text a friend (also a hipster) just sent me who said, "It will be rapid progress the second two weeks." Amene to that!!!

Night all...:sleeep:

Barbaraj

supremo
Country
Kudos to you for your varied reading choices. My parents were also well educated and avid readers but I know my mother was not fond of Ayn Rand. We read Fountain Head for my book group last year, and I confess I found my eyes rolling a lot--a bit over the top for me! My dad was all about politics and religion, my mother was the fiction reader and poetry (never took to that) so I also was encouraged to read from an early age but have clearly become far more narrow minded in my tastes as I've aged. Glad you survived the first two weeks which I think everyone finds challenging. Not sure I'd say the next two weeks were full of remarkable gains, but definitely felt I'd nudged further along in recovery. For me, at almost 8 weeks out, it's feeling like a bit of a slog at the moment as I recall from hip #1 that progress is limited to simply feeling less achy and stiff as the weeks/months go by. But, hey, it's early days for you and I hope that you are feeling confident and cheerful, and looking forward to full recovery. It will happen. Have a great day.

OP
OP
D

DEL2019Sep-7

Yes, Ayn Rand can be very deep. While I love her thoughts and philosophy to some extent, I do think a bit of heart is missing. So that's when I go to writers like Mark Nepo, for my "feel good" stuff.

The friend who told me I'd make remarkable gains also told me he took no meds! Well, what a whoosy I must be!!! LOL Obviously, we're all very different. I can only compare me with ME! I am feeling cheerful and looking forward to full recovery, though in my more vulnerable moments, have those little gremlin doubts. But, fortunately, I've learned to scoot them out of my consciousness and into the Lake outside my home. Ducks love gremlins, it's their delicacy!!!

Thanks for the encouragment!

Bergame

Country
There will come a time, knowing myself because of other major surgeries, that I will go bonkers with the "interesting things occupying my time". That's when I know, that my healing has reached a new level. It's also the time to be extremely cautious because "I feel so good, lets do more" will enter my self-talk!! LOL A perfect time for injury, even minor strain to occur. It's no wonder my Iwatch reminds me every 30 minutes to "Breathe." Have a great one and continued healing to you as well!
Had to quote you because it shows such great self-awareness and an ability to see what the future holds in your recovery. Your quote also sums up what I've gone through in the past two months except I neglected your wise 'extremely cautious' part! Had I been able to read your words back on July 17th, I might have avoided some serious overdoing.:bignono: I almost miss the early recovery days where I HAD to just sit and ice and read (Hidden Figures was my recovery companion; I'll always think about the strong, resilient women of that book when I look back on my hip surgery) because laundry, housework, driving, cooking, cleaning, working and all the other non-stop activities of daily life were completely out of the question.

Keep Breathing!

OP
OP
D

DEL2019Sep-7

@Ptarmigan Don't you just love that strong, resilient woman YOU are! That's the woman who brought you to where you are now. To survive the realities of life, "laundry, housework, driving, etc.," we have had to do all of those things even when we were sick, down, not feeling like it. Then enters the Wise Woman who has a voice that softens and balances the survivial voice, which is often born of fear. "If I don't do... something bad will happen." That's the time when I am invited into my inner world to ask myself, "What am I afraid of that makes me act so unhealthily? Enough time in that world with the courage to hear the answers, will bring healing to the surface. Even now, through hip recovery, with all of its down time that seems to stretch infinitely before me, I'm invited there LOTS. It always affords me that vitally important time and space to reflect on my life and where I'm going, what I'm doing, who am I spending time with, and to see if that's really what I want. Cherish the down times...they can be your best friend!! All my best...

OP
OP
D

DEL2019Sep-7

Heading into week three. Can't believe it. Seems like yesterday that I was being wheeled into surgery, zipping on home the following day, and the day-to-day recovery which has gone by really fast. What's that saying, "I'm not where I want to be, but thank God I'm not where I used to be."

Soooooo enjoying the sunshine that's lighting up the Lake where I live. That is probably the most healing sight I can imagine, especially as I hear the "atta girl" coming from the ducks and geese and crows and eagles that live here with me. Who would have thunk nature could provide such a feast!

All-in-all, I think I'm doing well. The only time I'm really uncomfortable is at bedtime. My RSD leg/foot seems to squawk the loudest, probably because I'm asking much more of it as it supports my HR leg. But nerve stuff definitely running up and down both. Neuralgia in hipster foot. I've found a Tylenol and 1/2 pain seem to take of that for several hours, then I take the other 1/2 about 4 hours later to ensure I sleep through the night. Seems to work, though a bit groggy in the morning. Will be glad when all pain med can go away!!

Tomorrow I head to first doc appt. since surgery. I believe he will give me a definite thumbs up and encourage me to keep on keepin' on. Which I will...planning a recovery trip in a few weeks, then to Palm Desert for the Pickleball Nationals. No, sad to say, won't be playing, but will love just being there immersing myself in the excitement of competitive play and good friends.

Off I go...a movie is calling me. :)

OP
OP
D

DEL2019Sep-7

In light of the day today, 9/11, I am reminded to be very grateful for my Life, my family and friends, and that my health could be much worse. Recovering from a hip replacement is merely a tiny blip on the screen of my life. Amene

My daughter drove me to my first ortho appointment since surgery 15 days ago. My ortho's PA seemed pretty pleased with my progress, inspite of the Meralgia Paresthetica (nerve pain in thigh) that I've developed. It doesn't bother me during the day so much, only when I'm in full recline (probably stretches the muscle/nerve) at night when I so want to sleep. He didn't seem concerned as many people experience this after surgery. Time of healing? Again, everyone is different. Perhaps I should sleep like a horse...standing up! LOL

A bit concerned about "loss of work" and just a desire to get back as soon as my body will allow, I asked him about the time-line. He said I can get to work after next week if it feels ok to do so. However, the catch is "don't drive for a month post surgery." So I'd have to have someone drive me to work. Nope, not gonna happen. I certainly wouldn't impose that on anyone, so my only option is to have clients/patients come to me (no), or wait until I can drive. My goal is to "push" my quads to turn on just bit more (without pain) so that I can lift my leg to hit both gas and brake in a normal fashion. Today, I will add one more exercise to my regimen which will help. Anything less than a complete use of leg would be careless and possibly dangerous.

Thanks again for all of you. You hippies ROCK!!!:happydance::egypdance:

FayeL

Country
Canada Canada
Not too far behind you (post op day 5 posterior approach THR) Love your positive attitude! Still positive here, but a little less cocky today as I am now "paying" for the 3rd walk I took yesterday (all of 8 houses and back , slow and steady with cane in hand) after I woke up this morning with a few new pulls and grumbles.

OP
OP
D

DEL2019Sep-7

@FayeL Yes, cockiness can be a part of our healing journey, and pain cuts us to size! LOL I've had a few of those moments, though it sounds like you're doing a lot of walking your first week. I spent the first week, mostly sleeping and resting, with some short walks in my small ohana. Second week, I added stairs (14 up to main house) a couple times a day. Some chores in the main house, like laundry. This week, I'm firing up my quads a bit and asking more of them with some straight leg raises, both standing up and lying down (much harder).

Forward we go!

FayeL

Country
Canada Canada
Thanks for a bit of a reality check! (about what first weeks look like) The only person who talked to me about walking post-op was my physio in the hospital (who taught me how to get off and on the bed, use crutches and do stairs prior to discharge); she told me to walk "as tolerated" and remember that I had to get home again wherever I ended up , so stop and turn around when I was "half done." Now that I've spent the day reading the threads here, I think I have probably been way too ambitious! I pulled back to 2 walks (still the same 8 houses and back) but I'm thinking, maybe tomorrow, to reset and walk around the house or maybe cut my walks in half to 4 houses. Not sure how much of my new aches are just the result of my body awakening to the different ways I'm using my muscles (and their very vocal complaints,) or the slightly delayed impact of all the swelling on my muscles and nerves.

OP
OP
D

DEL2019Sep-7

I'm getting a good laugh at "remember that I had to get home again wherever I ended up." Reminds me of the Mt. Everest climbers. They get to the top after much struggle and hardship, can't rest once they're at the summit, and immediately have to turn back. The hardest and most dangerous part of the climb is coming back down. And long walks post HR can seem like a climb up Mt. Everest. Ok, maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but you get my point.

Barbaraj

supremo
Country
Well, you may only be a few weeks out, but you have such a positive and enthusiastic outlook which is so great. I'm 8 weeks out, and feeling pretty darn good but knowing I'm not 100% and need to take things slowly and deliberately. I'm an impatient person and, like so many others, find the sluggish pace of recovery very frustrating. But I just started PT which is good for me--a daily routine and structure and I know from my pre- and post-surgical work with PT that it does work if I stick to it long enough. All of our tortured and stressed muscles will respond eventually as healing continues, I know. You're doing great. I'd love to take a trip this fall but my allegedly retired husband is swamped with work at the moment--preparing for a hearing in early October--and it's football season and god forbid he misses a Husky football home game! Cheers, and happy Thursday!

OP
OP
D

DEL2019Sep-7

Happy Thursday @Barbaraj ! Good job on the PT. It sounds like it's the next phase of your recovery.

Since I'm feeling better, I'm now really addressing my diet, which has always been healthy. Healthy food = healthy body and faster recovery. Surgery, however, threw my system off, and comfort foods have been my go to. Nothing else tasted good. I ordered some new electrolytes by Dr. Berg which I received today. His are supposed to be really balanced in the Magnesium, Potassium, Calcium, etc. ratio. I do believe these will help with tissue repair. Will let you know how it goes. Right now, enjoying my first 16 oz. cup. Also drinking lots of Green Tea, not only because of its high benefits, but to ensure I'm staying hydrated. Water is the ultimate healer!!

I'm also happy to report that the upper thigh pain and stiffness that first hits when I have been sitting awhile, then get up, is much more diminished. Those first few steps hurt, as I've read from many others.

Barbaraj

supremo
Country
As always, sounds like you're doing well. Wish I could say I have always been a healthy eater. I'm not bad, but comfort food (macaroni and cheese, be still, my heart!) is my downfall. After cooking for so many decades for kids I am now super unmotivated to cook at all and if I were really comfortable doing this (and I'm not, so far) I'd be ordering "meals on wheels for super lazy people". I don't want meal kits--I want someone to knock on my door at mealtime with a perfectly prepared and ready to eat meal. Instead, I cook about once week and try to convince my husband that four nights of leftovers really isn't that bad. Hope the new electrolytes do their job and help with tissue repair. I'm off to have wine with lunch with girlfriends. Happy Friday!

OP
OP
D

DEL2019Sep-7

Not a happy camper today. Just one of those days in recovery land, I guess. It's 12:30 am and just now trying to settle down for the night. Pain levels have been decreased for many days, but the loud voice of pain interfered with a nice dream I was having, demanding I wake up! Which I did and not happy at all. I took a pain med, splitting it in half + a Tylenol. After an hour, the pain was still pretty intense, so I took the other half. Finally, my hip settled down. What was most frustrating was that the RSD in my knee replacement leg was shouting out (and has been) more than ever since the RHR. Not sure why, other than I'm definitely using that leg more. Falling back asleep I found some relief and once again entertained by dreamland. When I awoke, I had a down feeling (unusual for me), but knew that those are a part of most healing processes. Some of it was from the renewed pain but it was also some cabin fever and some anxious desire about just experiencing a change of scenery. My family is in Bend, so nobody here. So what to do, what to do. Back to my distractions, which actually worked. YouTube videos are my best friend!! And I slept. By afternoon I was doing so much better in all ways. A friend stopped by and brought me dinner. Happy body here! I was getting tired of turkey burgers and salad. The sleep I enjoyed this afternoon, unfortunately, caused me to be too awake tonight. Thus...it's 12:30 and wide awake! Such is the world of recovery and healing.

Today will be a better day. I can feel it in my bones... :):heehee::kittykiss::catdance::happyfeet:

Barbaraj

supremo
Country
I hope you wake up this morning and are feeling better. As everyone says, sleep is so restorative but when it's elusive and interrupted, it's throws you off and it's such a drain. By the way, although I have no knee arthritis (that I know of!) I think my knees have been much more cranky since this second hip surgery. My PT explained that my body mechanics have all been altered with surgery and I really do need to work on my gait and learn a new way of walking. It's all part of the recovery process. So maybe it's not so surprising that your knee is whining at you. Sorry to read about the feelings of dejection and I'm sure that cabin fever and boredom might play a role in that. But, overall, you still sound like you're coping and doing well. As we all know, "this too shall pass" and good things and happier days lie ahead for you. Chin up, and happy Saturday!

FayeL

Country
Canada Canada
Good morning! Sorry to hear of your rough night. I must say, I find it comforting to scroll through thread after thread and see just how similar so many of my new peeps' experiences have been ; even though there are so many paths, we are all more similar that not! I came across @Lalyla 's posting of @Mojo333 visual representation of "expectations" vs "reality" on the path to recovery- so true!
I wish you a day of relief, rejuvenation and self compassion!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
At least you haven't lost your sense of humor! I hope you're feeling better today and it's a beautiful one (weather wise) in your neck of the woods. Hopefully you'll find some pleasant distractions to help pass the time and ease the cabin fever. We're always here if you're feeling lonely....or bored.
Best wishes. Make it a good one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Retiredmam
Recent bookmarks