TKR A fresh start

If you can get to the floor OK now- have a look at my pilates teacher's free lower back session.
Google Katja pilates lower back and it will come up on YouTube.
It is very gentle especially the first 10 minutes. The later part has some four point kneeling which is harder and you might want to skip that. But just doing the beginning with gentle mini-rocking bridges might be good.
 
I'm recovering from TKR, left knee on May 1st. It's been very helpful visiting here the last week or two to get reassurance about this long and winding road of a process, and also tips on day-to-day post-op recovery. Thanks everyone for being here!

This image from @Layla really speaks to me!

[Bonesmart.org] A fresh start
This is great. I will keep this to remind myself.
 
If you can get to the floor OK now- have a look at my pilates teacher's free lower back session.
Google Katja pilates lower back and it will come up on YouTube.
It is very gentle especially the first 10 minutes. The later part has some four point kneeling which is harder and you might want to skip that. But just doing the beginning with gentle mini-rocking bridges might be good.
Thank you, @EalingGran, I think it's time for me to check that particular lesson out especially since I'm gradually trying kneeling.

The back/buttock/outer hip pain continues to be....well...a PAIN. I'm using lots of your and others' suggestions, and have gone to a Shiatsu practitioner a couple of times as well as an osteopath. He suggested a mild pelvic tilt, "windshield wipers" and a couple of others. Unfortunately it's easy to overdo the exercises. I still can't figure out how to know what is enough BEFORE IT HAPPENS!

I've also got an appointment with an excellent physio coming up--I've had to wait 3 weeks to see her. She does manual work, IMS, and other treatments and has helped me a lot in the past.

One positive note is it's worst when I get up, but not bad while I'm lying down or sleeping. Sitting on a coccyx cushion or even a padded cushion helps (if I put the foot of the affected side up on a table). And I sit on ice packs every day. Also I tried doing some gardening today and that triggered some pretty excruciating pain.

Live and learn....or not!
 
I finally got my surgery/hospital stay records. I was intrigued to find out that the OS used Stryker Triathlon Titanium Cementless Total Knee system. So earlier when I thought I might be reacting to cement, I wasn't. Good to know!
 
At my one year check up I asked for my surgical report, thinking it would be a fun read, and wondering how much I would understand. I understood more than I expected, and I was very surprised to learn that my surgeon also did a lateral release during my PKR surgery. He never discussed that with me in any of my check ups. It would have been nice to know, that I was struggling to recover from two procedures.
 
Wow, I never heard of lateral release before. Do you think it would've helped to have been told?

I have to admit that the part about cementless technology was one of the few parts of my surgical report I actually understood :shrug: .:loll:I'd like to figure out some of the rest of this sometime, but...baby steps!

Prepatellar fat pad, menisci ACL, PCL excised. IM rod inserted at 6 degrees valgus to resect 8
mm of distal bone. Distal femur sized to a 5 and the appropriate cutting block used to make the AP and
chamfer cuts. Residual osteophytes then removed. External tibial alignment guide referencing 4 mm below
the deepest erosion on the medial tibial plateau.
 
Wow, I never heard of lateral release before. Do you think it would've helped to have been told?
Yes, I do. Some people go in for just that, and have a recovery period.

I don’t understand what you posted about your surgery. I don’t think my Patellofemoral partial had those things involved. Maybe that’s why I understood it as well as I did.
 
I also got my surgical report and found the reason I was having medial pain. My OS had done a medial release. Once I read that, I wasn't so concerned about that constant, nagging pain.
 
If you can get to the floor OK now- have a look at my pilates teacher's free lower back session.
Google Katja pilates lower back and it will come up on YouTube.
It is very gentle especially the first 10 minutes. The later part has some four point kneeling which is harder and you might want to skip that. But just doing the beginning with gentle mini-rocking bridges might be good.
Good suggestion, @EalingGran . I tried the first 10 minutes--it was great.
 
Your body is completely in charge of this healing process. While there is nothing you can do to speed things up, there are a number of things that can slow or cause problems in your recovery. Number One is pushing yourself too hard and overdoing things at the beginning
@Jamie, just reading this now is bringing me back to me reality on my totally unrelated healing journey. Very frustrated by pain in the opposite glute and lower back after LTKR 3-1/2 months ago. If I miss a dose of Naproxen, I'm either crying or swearing until I can settle onto an ice pack under my butt and cryo on my knee with elevation. This in spite of all the treatments I'm trying out--sometimes they help for 5 minutes, sometimes for a few hours. So you've helped me remember I need to be patient. And probably set alarms for medications.....
 
Four months today. Am pleased with how well my knee is doing, and also quite frustrated by continuing (2 months now) acute lower back/glute pain on the other side, also now radiating to other side, waist, even groin sometimes. Finally got x-rays to rule out fractures and masses. Working my patience muscle while I wait for next steps. Also using OTC muscle relaxant.
 
Last edited:
Finally got x-rays to rule out fractures and masses
Good luck with the Xrays. I found it took an MRI to show my arthritis/ stenosis. I do remember that at your stage it was my back that was bothering me as much if not more than my knee.
I too found naproxen helpful and I was lucky that with perseverance I was able to kneel on my PKR to do back exercises.
I hope your back settles. Hopefully as you move more normally after your knee surgery your back will improve gradually.
 
quite frustrated by continuing (2 months now) acute lower back/glute pain on the other side
So sorry that you are still struggling with this, but glad to read that nothing showed up on the x-ray.

I have chronic low-back issues and struggled with this kind of pain post my first TKR. Ended up going back to my physical therapist for some exercises, which combined with deep tissue massage, helped -- although I still do get flare-ups from time to time. Also asked my doctor for a prescription-strength muscle relaxant to help me turn the corner when the episodes occur.

Hope you see some improvement soon.
 
Still struggling away with whatever is going on in my lower back/glutes/hips. Ice and heat are my best friends (next to my amazingly patient and supportive husband of course).

It's giving me lots of time to read and explore stuff. Butterfly hug anyone? And here's the catch of the day. Tried to see if someone else had posted it but couldn't figure it out. It won't help me but might help younger folks going through lots of pain as well as upcoming generations.

"Not ready for a knee replacement? You might be able to fix your cartilage instead." With a coral by product!

Administrative note: This is a relatively new procedure and not one that is widely used or supported by BoneSmart at this time. While it may have promise in certain applications or in the future, it does not appear to be appropriate for knees damaged by arthritis. Current studies show it requires early diagnosis of a cartilage defect, such as one that might result from an injury or trauma to the knee. Arthritic damage is typically developed gradually and in more than one small area. But, in the interest of providing educational information on knee procedures, we will permit this link. Please be aware that this is still experimental and not a treatment for most arthritic knees. It may not be covered by insurance because of this.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I've also found this yoga oriented explanation of the muscles very enlightening. And love the encouragement to do Constructive Rest. By Jenilee Toner: The Psoas, Iliacus, Quadratus Lumborum and Piriformis – connecting the back and hips
 
It's my five-month anniversary so thought I'd write a bit for my own record of things (and if anyone has anything to offer that's a bonus!).

I always had in mind that I'd be feeling a lot better by 5 months, and in lots of ways I am--especially the new knee However, the overall structural reset seems to have been much harder than I ever imagined. Three months of quite acute pain in the glutes, lower back, outer hips. Now it's not quite as acute though I need to rest a lot with legs elevated, and can hardly ever lean over to pick something up or empty the bottom part of the dishwasher without severe consequences.

My right knee and left foot are also complaining.

And I'm still on full complement of NSAIDs, Acetaminophen, and Robaxin and still sitting on an ice pad every morning and using a heating pad at least a few times a day. Also have a C-shaped cushion and another cushion that's not so specialized.

I'm waiting for a pain clinic appointment but it will be at least 5 weeks.

Have an opportunity to visit our son and grandkids next week and wondering whether it's a good idea or not. Would need to bring the medicine cabinet (!) and ice pads, but at least not the cryo machine. And my laptop so I can keep up gentle exercises I've stumbled upon. So either driving and a ferry, or a longer ferry, and trying to adjust to a place that's not set up like a clinic, plus more activity with the little ones and less control over my days and nights.

Anyway that's my update. If anyone has any insights into the pros and cons I'd appreciate hearing!
 
I am sure it would be wonderful to spend some time with your son and grandchildren but it sounds like it might take a toll on you physically. Is there any chance they could come to see you? Then again the change of scene might do you the world of good. Good luck with making your decision.
 
thanks @Toothfairy . I think you might've mentioned going to choir and how that was good for the soul even though taxing on the body. It's harder to quantify, isn't it, but still real.

They could use our help there, much as I'd love to have them visit here it doesn't help them out right now!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom