TKR A fresh start

Unfortunately I may have done something else to aggravate other weak points and am paying for it this morning. Knee feels fine! But left shoulder and neck, plus right outer hip/greater trochanter and lower back [L4/L5 issue plus trochanteric bursitis] are hurting enough to start a self-pity party here. I think I'll search the forum for trochanter!!!
 
So I've ordered a TENS machine and will add that to the arsenal. And I looked into a hip ice pack: I'm pretty disappointed that the hip "cuff" from Aircast looks more like ribs and waist than lower back and hips, so I've ordered a REVIX hip ice pack. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B086R3SHR9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Also generally resting today. And based on some other comments, will pull out my urban walking poles and use those outside instead of a cane. This should help distribute weight across both sides of knees, hips, back and shoulders and encourage a more upright gait (plus make me look like a mountaineer ha ha ha?). Worth a shot, anyway!
 
Walking poles are great, I'm using mine for all outdoor walks. Big improvement over a walker and you are constantly being reminded to stand up straight and don't look at your feet!
That sounds totally awesome, something to look forward to when I feel up for another short walk . Mine are waiting by the front door!
 
I'm dealing with arthritis and bursitis in other joints as I'm sure many here are. I've gotten so many good tips from the staff and other participants.

In addition to the usual ice machine, RICE-ing, OTC pain meds, etc. my go-tos right now are:
  • massage "gun" used on just about every large muscle group except directly around the knee.
  • TENS unit - just received, haven't tried it yet.
  • heating pad
  • hip ice pad, even though I've had knee surgery--hip/greater trochanter bursitis is a longstanding issue I have.
  • lots of tea
  • fresh air and garden whenever feasible
 
I'm dealing with arthritis and bursitis in other joints as I'm sure many here are
Yes, you’re certainly not alone in this.
Thanks for sharing your helpful tips and also for sharing your journey with us all.
Have a great rest of the week!
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Wishing you many days outdoors in the fresh air of your garden sipping on your favorite tea!
I hope this week is a good one!
@FleuveStone
 
Thank you, @Layla . It was a lovely day, doing some new things like walking around a garden centre, but also building in a rest in the car on a country lane by a semi-wilderness park with the windows open, the seat back, and a few pillows. I've decided to call that car camping and it is probably the only camping I'll be doing this year. :) :-) (:

My biggest issue right now is an ache in the opposite buttock. Literally a pain in the butt!!!! Some days it nearly brings me to tears. Then I remember to ice and that helps for awhile. I've read somewhere on here that it's a common enough complaint, perhaps part of "The Great Reset"???

@EalingGran you'd mentioned knee pads. I checked materials from my surgeon's office and they say not to kneel or squat (and something else I can't remember) for 3 months, but I'm good to go to try out some mild kneeling in yoga and pilates in a month or so. The ones I got are Gaiam so they're definitely useless for gardening (no strap, for one thing). Still looking, so if you have any suggestions for a good kind to get, that would be great!
 
My knee pads don't have straps- but I don't garden much. My back doesn't tolerate that kind of bending.
They are just two small rectangular cushions just under an inch thick.
I don't see the exact ones on Amazon anymore. That's the trouble with Amazon though- you can't always tell exactly how good something is until you can see it/ feel it. The gel ones look good- but not sure how well they would work. Mine are just cheap foam and are lasting well.
Kneeling definitely does get easier though if you keep practising. I know can kneel briefly on my laminate kitchen floor, without bothering to get my knee pads- if I want to get something out of a low cupboard.
I just use the knee pads now for longer spells of kneeling like pilates classes.
 
Thanks for your help, @EalingGran . I believe it was you who suggested Pilates by Katja? I've been trying a couple and really enjoy getting back into some gentle movements. She has a lovely approach.
 
I love walking around garden centers. I call one in particular, local to me, "my happy place".

Same here! I'd choose walking around a garden centre or really any garden over most other activities. Hadn't thought of them as my happy place but that's exactly what they're are :loveshwr:
Sorry about the pain you mentioned. Does this article describe it - https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/piriformis-syndrome-a-pain-in-the-butt.9837/
Well that may be it. It's compounded by pre-existing issues with L4/L5 and greater trochanteric bursitis. So far Ice helps, for awhile, so does TENS. I'm not sure if percussion massage helps or is neutral. I'm going to try shiatsu on Saturday.... Another one of my favourite things ! The therapist was a physio in Japan so I'm optimistic he'll be able to assist.
 
I've been trying a couple and really enjoy getting back into some gentle movements. She has a lovely approach.
So glad you like them. She has full range from gentle to some which are much tougher. Her approach has given me a great recovery with no painful exercises.
 
When I think about where I was just a little over 2 months ago, I'm almost overwhelmed with how much better things are for me now. That helps me put some other issues - e.g. sciatica/piriformis syndrome--in perspective. My knee/leg twinges sometimes but the new "pain in the buttocks" (opposite side) still has me in tears several times a day. I'm "used" to L4/L5 pain and greater trochanteric bursitis, but this!

I'm trying to change my attitude to: Well, this shows how much I needed the surgery. And this is my body adjusting to my new and improved gait (as someone else has pointed out--"The Great Structural Readjustment" I think she called it?).

I am still taking the daily maximum of acetaminophen, as well as the daily max of naproxen. I favour "Tylenol/acetaminophen Arthritis" in the morning and overnight to minimize the times I need to remember to take pills (it lasts up to 8 hours). Late in the afternoon I usually take 2 500 mg acetaminophen to get me through to bedtime.

I'm sleeping much better most of the time--probably a lot of this is because time has passed since surgery, but also Magnesium, a valerian-based supplement called "Snooze" (thanks to @Layla for the valerian tip), and probably just better relaxation. Also wine (diluted with mineral water--the German schorle)!

Also massage, shiatsu massage, and gentle qi gong. And various foam rollers.

What I find is there are gaps in the coverage of medications--they don't last as long as I would like them to, and as I'm at maximum doses I can't really increase them.. So by the time I wake in the morning and get up to walk around, the buttock pain is debilitating. I make some tea, take some acetaminophen, and hobble over to sit on a big ole ice pad for an hour or more. Someone on the forum mentioned that and it's very helpful.

I'm also using a little TENS machine and an electronic massager (and white wine, TBH!) in the evenings. Everything helps...for about 5 minutes! :loll:

I think it was @EalingGran who suggested spiky balls (I haven't got the hang of that yet) and
a sciatica cushion--which I just ordered.
too had a very similar problem but was pre-TKR due to a asymmetrical compensation injury because of my right knee's arthritic degradation. A
I too had horrible sciatica like @Axx72 but it was before my PKR due to asymmetric degradation of the knee putting pressure on my back.
I also have lumbar arthritis on MRI and nerve compression.
I would ask for an MRI of your back to see how much this is contributing.
Thankfully mine improved after surgery but it was miserable and in my case worse than the knee pain.
Other things that helped me were:
Gabapentin from my GP for nerve pain
A thick memory foam sciatica cushion shaped like a horseshoe that took pressure off my sciatic nerve.
Spiky pilates balls to roll on and massage the affected area
Pilates stretches and back strength exercises- although these were difficult when the pain was bad.
My surgeon said that in my case a steroid injection into the back would help if it didn't correct with my knee surgery.
I am sorry you are in pain. I would push for further investigation on the back and hip if it doesn't settle.

If anyone sees anything I'm missing, please let me know!
I just had a long telehealth appointment (most of it on hold), where the doctor quite rightly said she couldn't diagnose over the phone but agreed it was probably what Bonesmarties here thought, and agreed with rest, gentle exercise, and TIME. I asked about Gabapentin and she said it wouldn't be great for me because of lots of side effects.
Knowing what it is helps a bit. It has thrown me for a loop, though! I didn't expect this. I haven't bothered asking the surgeon's office as anything else not knee-related isn't their department.:nah:


Thanks for listening, whoever is out there! And thank you staff and fellow bonesmarties for your support, tips, and great suggestions!
 
Last edited:
Thankfully things are better overall. However, I am really sorry that you’re dealing with pain so uncomfortable it has you in tears. That is not an ideal way to start the day. It’s heartbreaking to think of you soldiering through between doses of pain meds. I certainly hope rest, gentle exercise and more time brings the relief you deserve. If your tele-health visit was with the OS, will it be worth scheduling an appointment with your primary care physician for some insight? Otherwise, hopefully the massage, ice, TENS, qi gong, gets you through until the pain lessens and eventually dissipates.:fingersx:

Thanks for the update and sharing your journey here as well as your thoughtful support of others. I hope your evening is a peaceful one.
@FleuveStone
 
Thanks, Layla. Unfortunately I don't have a PCP (here they'd be called a Family Doctor or GP) and haven't for a couple of years. So I've found a doctor I like online and snag appointments with her (or another one I like) when I can. The alternative is a "walk-in clinic"--a misnomer because you pretty much have to have an appointment and last times I tried I wasn't able to get one after trying for a few days. Anyway that's why I started with her at Telehealth this time and the good news was she pretty much confirmed what I'd figured out with everybody's help on the forum!

I'm working those patience muscles! I know this will take time. And still I'm so grateful that I'm here and not where I was 2 months ago :)

BTW I checked a similar forum on a different platform to see what was going on--and it wasn't at all similar! Lots of misinformation and poor advice. So glad to be here!!!
 
Just putting this here to remind me of THE GREAT STRUCTURAL RESET! thanks @mendogal. Not just limited to ITB pain.
You, I, and many others have had ITB pain postop. It's part of what I'm starting to think of as The Great Structural Reset (our support structures adjusted to the changes posed by our arthritis; all at once in the OR, everything got not only disrupted but suddenly reset).

I had short term relief with the rolling pin. A muscle relaxant might help. A warm compress on the side only, kept well away from the surgical site, might help.

It's not a muscle; it's a very tough fibrous band and truly not meant to have a lot of give like a muscle does.

Here's an article about it...
 
You're very welcome!!!!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom