Guest viewing is limited

TKR A fresh start

Interesting point @grumpy231
Checking out a site Tinnitus and You it reads -

“Tinnitus caused by dehydration is very temporary in nature. So, if your Tinnitus was indeed caused by dehydration, it should go away when healthy hydration levels have been restored.”
 
Things are a bit better today after a decent sleep and some stretching and other self-help interventions yesterday. The pain wasn't incapacitating--perhaps a 4 or 5 instead of an 8 or 9. Got out in the garden and with my DH's help tamed some herbs before the sun got too hot. Now I'm lying down with ice under my right buttock and the cryocuff on my left knee! Good thing it's relatively warm!
:SUNsmile:
 
I just saw a reference to this ITB article. Putting the link here to remind me to try out these stretches as they may help with lower back/sciatica-type-thingy (piriformis?) and trochanteric bursitis on the right hip.

 
More on the Great Structural Reset!
Re pain: it's not unusual for our members to experience either sacroiliac pain or nerve pain, usually sciatica. The sciatica is almost always an issue of the piriformis muscle impinging on the sciatic nerve in the butt (as opposed to a spinal problem).

This is usually because over years of (mal)adjusting to knee arthritis some muscles and tendons become contracted and short and their counterparts become stretched and lax. This can unbalance the hips and tug the pelvis til it's skewed in one or two planes.

Well, in OR suddenly everything is reset. So besides healing, the things too lax need to tighten up and the things contracted need to release. Ouch! Yes this takes time.

Long story short, the pain may be sacral or low back without it being a spinal issue. Just plain old soft tissue issues... which many orthopedist surgeons have no patience for.

It's understandable to look for answers when we are hurting badly, but please also understand you're only 5 months into a one year + recovery and what you're experiencing is awfully unpleasant but could resolve with rest, symptom management, and tincture of time.
 
Not sure if I have previously suggested things I used when I had sciatica?
These all helped to some extent.
1. A thick memory foam sciatica cushion.
2. Gabapentin from my GP for nerve pain
3. Spiky pilates balls under the buttock. Use to release the muscle spasms around the nerve track if you can tolerate them.
4. Pilates stretches if tolerated.
It really is miserable. Hopefully it will settle
 
Thank you yes I've ordered a cushion and am looking forward to getting it soon! Will try the spiky balls and gentle stretches again. I don't seem to be a candidate for gabapentin but I'll ask again if this continues more than a few weeks :xmark:
 
Today is 12 weeks for my new knee. Still maxing out on naproxen and Tylenol and noticing when I forget a dose. My knee and operated leg actually feel pretty good and I am walking so much better than before surgery.

HOWEVER.... The opposite side buttock, lower back and outer hip are giving me even more grief, with often debilitating pain, and starting to interfere with my gait. Also my right knee is starting to act up more often.

Icing, meds,TENS, massager, heat, and sitting on a cushion help for awhile though honestly I can't see spending most of my day dealing with it. I'm trying to notice if it flares up more after certain activities but I can't see a pattern, though too much walking and even stationary bike seem to aggravate it.

OS office says to try a physio (no surprise there) so I booked with one I like though she can't see me for 3 weeks. That gives me time to let it settle down on its own and do my own self help.

Anyone else have experience of this sort of thing? How long does it last? What helped for you? I know several people have already chimed in and I am trying what you suggested. Gabapentin is so far off the table.
 
Well, this is surely the great reset in action but UGH. Sometimes knowing the root cause doesn't offer much useful information about how to fix it faster... I hope some folks chime in with additional symptom relief suggestions.

We very often see the opposite knee worsening after the first replacement because of the additional work it did catching up with it. My non-op knee had for years been my "bad knee," so I predicted that would happen and it sure did.
When was your non-op knee last x-rayed?
 
I asked for x-rays at my 6 week checkup, mid June. At that time Doc said the other knee should last a couple more years but to call if it changed. I can't say it's changed a lot but it's hard to differentiate all the pain. I'm also bringing out the cane and using it on the operated side to support the tetchy opposite side. Sigh.
 
My knee and operated leg actually feel pretty good and I am walking so much better than before surgery.
That is a really good sign that you are doing well. My husband noticed I was walking better and straighter a few weeks after my PKR
HOWEVER.... The opposite side buttock, lower back and outer hip are giving me even more grief, with often debilitating pain, and starting to interfere with my gait.
This is something I also noticed. I get some twinges in my "good side" hip.
It is definitely because even long after my PKR I still slightly put more weight on my "good" side. I have to consciously remember to shift weight to my operated side if I am standing too long.
 
I'm so sorry! I wish your recovery was a continual celebration of progress, unhampered with additional pain or discomfort. I hope given more time, as your body continues to adjust and realign with the new prosthetic, the pain will ease allowing you to thrive as you desire. :console2: Best Wishes for a good day!
@FleuveStone
 
Anyone else have experience of this sort of thing? How long does it last?
Have you asked for an MRI of your back and hip? Whilst it may just be the lop-sided nature of recovery due to favouring your operated side- it might be worth asking for investigation if it persists.
I have spinal stenosis which causes my sciatica. It was worse when I was very lopsided and has improved now my knee is straighter. However the MRI was helpful in that my surgeon said I would benefit from a steroid injection if the knee surgery didn't help.
 
Thanks, @EalingGran and @Layla. I appreciate your kind words. It's kind of sad since the knee work seems so positive! I never thought my knee would be doing so well at 12 weeks :SUNsmile:.

I had CT scans about 14 years ago that showed subluxation/spondylolisthesis of L4/L5. After that I was referred for a cortisone injection at the pain clinic and it actually helped for a number of years, I imagine by interrupting the pain cycle.

Maybe all this reset (and previous dysfunction followed by inability to exercise and walk properly) has triggered it again. That's good input @EalingGran .

Unfortunately asking for an MRI isn't very easy to do here. That's a whole other story, starting with I don't have a family doctor and walk-in clinics are run off their feet. There may be a way, though. I need to see if I can come up with some creative solutions.

Meanwhile I'm going for another long shiatsu treatment tomorrow, and have set up an osteopath consultation next week.
 
Those both sound like good interventions! Keep us posted.
 
THREE MONTH AN-KNEE-VERSARY!!! :flwrysmile:

The lower back/piriformis/sciatic nerve issue continues but knock on wood it may finally be starting to get better. I sit on an ice pack every morning. And I'm trying various treatments, including waiting for an appointment with a physio who specializes in IMS and manual therapy--had to wait three weeks to get an appointment--it will be mid-August.

So far I've had two 90-minute shiatsu treatments and I think they're amazing. The second was even better as the practitioner was tailoring it more to me.

And I've had one treatment with an Osteopath. Also incredible. Such a relief to work with a health care pro who understands soft-tissue issues and actually has tools to work on it. He was also a physiotherapist in his home country and is studying for Canadian licensing now--so he's incredibly skilled.

He gave me one very mild exercise--sort of the beginning of a pelvic tilt/bridge. I need to remind myself to keep doing it.

All these treatments are about helping the body heal itself so they're Bonesmart approved! I'm having to remember to rest, and also to do knee rehab exercises and icing a few times a day because the knee is speaking out again after being very patient with me for awhile. :gaah:

Anyway another bonus to being 3 months out: I can actually go to the dentist (last time was ~14 months ago)! So that's coming up next week.... And if it seems necessary for the "good" knee, I could get injections again.
 
Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom