Revision THR 8wks post op - more pain than before<<

But I still have that device upstairs in my junk box of old implants!!
'things you don't hear everyday'
That would teach the grandbabies to go nosing around upstairs!!!
Best of luck to you AMR1879. Pray everything gets right this time!!!!
 
I was able to snap a quick photo of my new hip. The Dr told me the name of it, but I can't remember. He said it was another cementless stem and a good choice for my revision b/c of the lack of ingrowth I had with the first model, which was a cementless DePuy Synthes Corail.

AMR.jpg



Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I do hope this one gives you the joy in success you deserve.
Thank you, Josephine! Would you mind giving me some advice on a rehab program to follow?

The revision surgeon is also pro-walking for rehab and strongly suggested staying away from formal PT and the machines they like to use. I have been getting outside and doing some walking with the aid of a crutch or two. I plan to lengthen my distance as it becomes easier for me. The pain I am experiencing is much more localized and severe than either of my previous hip surgeries. I can't tell if I am feeling sharp cramping pains or sharp localized pain at the surgical sites throughout my hip/thigh.

I have been prescribed 15 mg Oxycodone every 4 hrs as needed with 5 mg of Flexeril every 8 hrs as needed. I also take 1000mg Tylenol twice daily with one of my doses of Oxycodone. I have been needing the pain meds pretty much every 4 hours except when I'm sleeping. I don't set up an alarm b/c I figure my body will wake me if I need the meds. I remember you had a schedule for taking tramadol and Tylenol (?) that worked well for you. I think I have found a similar pain med schedule that works for me, but I would appreciate any guidance and/or suggestions you can offer regarding self guided, at home PT.

Thank you again Josephine! I hope yours and some of the other member's ears haven't been burning you too badly lately b/c I have been sharing my experiences using bonesmart.org and telling people how impressed I have been with you and the other members of the forum. Thanks again!
 
Well thank you so much! I am very flattered and pleased you are feeling so much better. Also pleased that your surgeon is much in line with our protocols.

My advice for recovery is to forget it's a revision and just follow the ordinary guidelines for any THR. Stay cool, take your time and take it easy!
 
Hey @Irish Joe! I'm doing well! I had my post-op check today, they did an X-ray and took the staples out. Everything is looking good. The incision is healing well and the new hip looks well positioned. I am cautiously optimistic that this hip will be a keeper! I am able to get around using one crutch and can also do a few steps without any walking aid but I'm taking the rehab slow and steady. I'm doing it on my own--walking and swimming, I don't plan to follow a formal PT program.


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
I hit the 3 weeks post op mark yesterday. I am feeling the recovery blues creeping in.... I am so tired of being tired and sore. I can't remember what it feels like to lead a normal, active life. I am trying my best to look on the bright side of things, and remind myself that things could be worse, but it is getting harder and harder to do that.

I am angry that I had to have a second THR 6 months after the first and 1 year after a labral tear repair surgery that was supposed to help me avoid having a THR in the first place--3 hip surgeries in a year does a number on one's psyche! Not to mention, all the Drs and medical "professionals" I sought out for help over the last 6 months basically thought I was crazy, that my pain wasn't real, and/or they thought I was a drug addict looking for drugs.

The only good thing that came out of my 2nd hip replacement (besides a new, and hopefully better, hip) is the justification I received being able to prove to everyone that I had a legitimate problem and my pain was REAL! My ortho surgeon actually admitted that people (other doctors) thought I was crazy!

I feel bad for my family who has had to take care of me and my children. I am 38 and I am depending on my parents to help me get through each day. I feel bad for my kids, I don't think my 4-year-old remembers his mommy who used to run with him in the jogging stroller. He just knows me as his mommy who has a "bad leg" and he asks me quite often if my "bad leg" is all better yet. It breaks my heart. I am a combination of angry and depressed and it is not a good feeling.

I try not to complain to my family who has dropped everything to help me out, it is probably the last thing they want to hear. So I thought I would vent on here, where you can choose to read it or not. This forum has been a lifesaver.

@Josephine @Jamie @Irish Joe @Krista @Horseshoe @Jaycey @KarriB (just to name a few), THANK YOU! You have all been so helpful, I never imagined finding the support I have received from people I never met, thank you for taking the time. I share my appreciation for bonesmart.org and my bonesmart.org friends, with anyone who will listen! Rant over.
 
hi @AMR1879 glad to read you're doing so well. What you're feeling is very normal. You've been through a lot with that hip, constant pain and getting tossed around between drs wears on a person's psyche so let it all out!

Otoh, give yourself a big pat on the back for the diligence in seeking an answer to your problem while in pain, you've set a great example of self belief for your little ones. It's often difficult to question medical authorities (esp surgeons!) but you stuck with it. To call someone crazy is neither nice or useful, it means they didn't have the answer. Posting your story will be very helpful to those who find themselves in a similar quandary.

Josephine was spot on in her assessment, how lucky are we to have her experienced input :)

I had two thrs within a year plus two years of incorrect or lack of treatment beforehand and found the return to normal life was rather anti climatic. You work hard through pain and wait so long to be normal again, thought I'd be on this perennial "new life" high whereas being normal is ordinary -though I'll def take it!

Like Xmas holidays, there's a build up and let down as we adjust to normal life.
It's part of the transition and like all transitions, you go back and forth for awhile.

Happy Fourth to you!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my, Horseshoe....what an inspirational post. I feel better reading it and hope it helps you, AMR1879, as well!

I agree wholeheartedly with Jo. You can't imagine how much of a reward it is for us to know that we're helping people out there around the world when they have questions, concerns or challenges with their joint replacement surgery. It's a real "upper" to know you are comfortable coming here to BoneSmart to vent. That's what we're here for and you're right that it's a better choice than laying your feelings on your family and friends. As much as they care for you and want you well, it's difficult for them to relate to what you're going through unless they've been there themselves.

You need to congratulate yourself every day for being such a strong advocate for your own care. That's no small feat and it's what has brought you to this point where you actually do have light at the end of the tunnel that's NOT a train! You have a great life ahead with your family and the passions you enjoy. I know it's difficult to be patient as you endure weeks of recovery. But it will be worth it. I think we all get exasperated at the length of time involved in these recoveries sometimes.

One thing that can help when you're feeling down, is to go back and read your threads from beginning to end. That is how you see how much progress you've made. You might be amazed at yourself and how far you've come! :yes:

I know it's difficult, but it would be best to let the anger go. I remember reading that negative feelings are as toxic as acid to a person. The have absolutely no impact on the subject of your anger (the doctors), but can totally destroy the vessel they are stored in (you) if you let them get out of hand. Life isn't perfect and sometime things happen that are out of our control. It's not the bad event that is noteworthy, but our reaction to it and what we learn from it that is of real consequence. I'd say you came out of a negative experience with a lot of knowledge and strength. That's a real plus for you. You may not see it now, but this experience will help you for the rest of your life. I've frequently found in my 60+ years on this earth that lessons learned "way back when" from some problem or mistake helped me be smarter, more compassionate, stronger, or just a better person at times I least expect it.

Hang in there....you'll get through this!
 
As Jo and Jamie said, we love helping people here on BS and were overjoyed that you found a surgeon who listened and helped you. It's been a long haul and I know how that feels, but you're on your way to a painfree life. Although I'm sure it's difficult to not get down and play with your kids, that time will come.

But they've also learned from you in this situation. They've watched you persevere and advocate for yourself. These lessons are important, children watch what we do and emulate their parents. One of the most important traits a child can embody is perseverance (this is coming from a 38 yr teaching veteran), it will help them throughout their whole life and they've watched you persevere. They'll remember what you went through to be a healthy mama for them!
 
@AMR1879, you are certainly justified in being angry, and sick of being in pain and debilitated. And it is tough to be dependent on others for help through this kind of situation. Don't feel too bad for your helpers, though! They love you and are happy to do it, I'm sure, just like you would do whatever you could to help your loved ones who are in genuine need. The good news, as others have said above, is that you are recovering, and moving forward to a time when this will all be a memory, and you will be able to be physically active and strong again.

I still shake my head at the thought of your original orthopedic surgeon and all of those other doctors who couldn't diagnose you and who thought you were nuts. You had some bad physicians. They are clearly the ones who had big gaps in their knowledge, but who thought they knew it all and were dismissive of your continued pain and disability. They should have worked to find someone who COULD help you. I hope you have informed your original surgeon, and those other docs, about the revision and reason for it, so maybe they won't make this diagnostic mistake again with some other unfortunate soul.

I truly get what you are feeling since I went through a similar situation, with my OS not being able to figure out why I was still in pain and limping, and it took me finding another orthopedic surgeon who could give me a proper diagnosis and second surgery 15 months after my THR. And I had a vertebral fracture with surgical repair in between the hip surgeries. I am just starting to feel kind of normal, and, although I still have physical problems, I didn't believe I'd ever be doing this good! You being much younger, have a great chance of a full recovery. Please keep us posted with your progress!
 
Krista, KarriB, Jamie, Horseshoe, Josephine Thank you for your thoughtful replies. I keep rereading them to help me through the tough times. Recovery is still going well, I didn't use the crutch or cane once today! I also have gotten into my pool a few times to do some water walking which felt great, and the kids loved that I was finally joining them, so it was a win-win. I'll continue to keep you updated on my progress and I am doing my best to look at the bright side of things. :flwrysmile:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom