TKR 8 months out

Thank you for stopping in to share your wonderful travel story!
 
Two weeks ago I returned from a 12 day trip to Europe. I walked between 6 to 8 miles everyday. Stairs, airports, subways... I had a ball. I was on vacation but I looked at like my personal PT. Not everything is perfect but I am so grateful do be back out there... doing it. Keep the faith and have patience!
Great report. Congratulations!
 
I'm now 6 months out. I've been on the site long enough to know there are no definite answers concerning time line, but I'll ask anyway. After doing very well on a trip to Europe last month I seem to be having old issues returning suddenly. Stiffness, no improvement in ROM, pain if I bend past a certain point. The only thing that hasn't changed is my surgeons indifference. Does the recovery continue to be up and down for a long time and we must accept and get used to it? Thanks everyone.
 
I think it can be really up and down for at least a year. I remember having little panics at your stage that I was going backwards.
I think what sometimes happens is that we are gradually doing more and can overdo it without realising.
 
Does the recovery continue to be up and down for a long time
It certainly has been for me. I'm at 7 months and the past couple of weeks have been harder than the month before. Like you, my knee did just great on vacation last month, but is complaining now. I'm guessing I overdid it and caused some swelling.

Remember that stiffness can be a sign of internal swelling and your bend will be restricted by that swelling.

We describe this recovery as a roller coaster ride with good reason. But, the degree of up and down does seems to lessen over time -- getting closer to flat with each month. Ice and elevate when you have swelling and give it a bit more time.
 
@Bfan I’m 7 months out and I’m exactly the same way. Sometimes it seems like I’m doing really well, then suddenly it seems like I go backwards. Maybe when I am doing well I tend to do more and that’s what makes my knee stiffen. I think it’s
starting to be less and less of the going backwards and more of the going forwards. If that makes any sense! Anyway, to me you sound like you’re doing exactly what you’re supposed to be doing!
 
Haven't posted in a bit. Just one question. Is there anything I can do to increase my ROM at 8 months and beyond. After PT I have gone with the let it heal on its own with normal walking and climbing stairs but I can't seem to break through. I'm at 90 to 100... would love to get another 25 degrees. I've worked hard at it!
 
would love to get another 25 degrees. I've worked hard at it!
That is probably your problem right there. Working hard can keep it inflamed, which will keep it swollen. The fluid inside that small knee capsule area can really restrict the bend because it has nowhere to go to get out of the way so you can bend. I suggest that you stop working your knee so hard and just ignore it. Doing your daily activities is all it needs to get a good ROM.
 
Is there anything I can do to increase my ROM at 8 months and beyond
Your ROM will continue to increase naturally as the soft tissues in your knee continue to heal.

With my first TKR (in 2021), my flexion and strength continued to improve well past my one-year anniversary. I never pushed with any exercises; just walking and ADLs, and it gradually improved on its on. My left knee was done in December and I am still seeing changes.

After the first few months, the improvements are slower and more subtle, but they do come with time. As long as you keep moving, you don't need to "work hard" at it.
 
I am a big fan of pilates. Have a look at my pilates teacher's free YouTube videos.
In addition to her glute strengthening one- she has loads of stretch classes. Nothing is or should be painful but gentle stretching may improve ROM.
 
Hi bfan, think we're same day or close. I too went on vacation, to the Oregon coast last month (end of my 6th month) and did stupid things like walk at a slant, slide in deep sand (in directions my knee questioned!), run from waves, went to a baseball game with stairs, and walked up to 13000 steps on several days. I iced, tried to elevate, but it got worse and worse and is back to maybe month 3. Have yet to feel glad i did it, very frustrating and depressing beyond the earlier down feelings closer to surgery. I am very encouraged by others' comments, but wanted to just verify to you and others at 7 months two steps back seems the norm. Decided to just go kayaking Tuesday, needed lots of help in and out but did it and feel happy about that! (still hurting, feels like my kneecap is stuck to one side, deep pain laterally, sometimes at rest). Have you actually seen surgeon again? I was considering but im so afraid something will be wrong i cant! I cannot bear the thought of one more knife! I feel so much better reading these tales of hope...but my husband wants me to get checked.
 
On my first TKR (right) over five years ago, I continued to rehab well after my one-year anniversary. I paid attention to strengthening my quad and LOTS of stretching.... did I say LOTS of stretching.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom