TKR 8 months out

Im afraid I do (but you may not want to read my story as I’m getting a scope to remove it!). But mine is firm and crackly/snappy feeling during simple walking, and pops out when I bend and is clearly getting squished in the joint line below the kneecap.

I think “squishy” is a good sign that it is just swelling and you may want to do some ice, compression, elevation and back off on the stairs until it gets better. Working an inflamed knee is what can lead to that inflammation turning into scar tissue. Unfortunately, it is impossible for me to not re-irritate the area (why I need that tissue removed), and my lump keeps growing.
 
Has anyone had a swollen lump on the lower front of the knee? It is a"squishy" clearly identified lump, and seems to be causing me most of my pain/swelling feeling when I walk or go down stairs. Thank you.
On my mid June R TKA I have had an area of very discrete swelling in a semicircle curling around the area lateral to my kneecap for some time. It's soft and not warm or inflamed, smaller in the morning and slightly larger by evening. I doesn't respond to ice and elevation.

I have issues that seem related to it: a friction along the lateral (outside) aspect of the kneecap, and my lateral quads experience pain with prolonged sitting.

It's a total mystery to my PT. I suspect a tendon issue. It's preventing me from doing strengthening, though my walking and ROM are great. My appointment with my OS is in 9 days. His PAs seem dismissive of soft tissue issues but I'm hoping to enlist his support in solving this mystery.

Yours could well be a form of bursitis - excess "joint lubricating fluid" getting stuck for some reason. Usually there's an irritation or impingement causing it. Worth checking in with your team especially if icing and elevation, and ceasing or reducing painful activities, don't help it.
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary, Bfan!
Please let us know how your appointment goes. Hopefully you receive answers and obtain relief soon.
@Bfan
 
Post LTKR on Jan. 3. Doing better. Have a normal gait and can descend stairs most of the time. Just wonder is anyone else experienced groin pain from PT where they have you sit in chair and push knee back with other leg. I think I pulled a muscle weeks ago but not sure. Thank you. I've stopped PT.
 
Thanks for the update, Bfan! Yay for the progress in walking with a normal gait and descending stairs.
I am sorry to read about what may be a pulled muscle. If you haven't already, try icing the area of discomfort and using OTC pain relievers as needed and hopefully it will ease soon. :fingersx:
@Bfan
 
Almost 4 months post op. Walking fine. Able to ride bike. Still have pain but I've tried to make temporary "friends" with it. I do have a question. When judging ROM... (and I'm hoping more will come just by doing my own exercises and daily routines)... does passive ROM, gentle pushing with assistance from someone else, count the same as making your leg go back on its own? Don't want to be too hung up on it, but I don't know if it's meaningful.
 
To me the only meaningful ROM is not a number but the functionality, which is all my ortho team ever asked about.

If you want a number, I wouldn't do it after manipulation by anyone, because it may induce swelling, and when you swell later in response any gain they got has gone away. It should simply be a snapshot of where you're at after a bit of warming up - say after a few minutes biking.

It sounds like you're doing well!

Here's a very helpful article on our knees' range of motion.

Something I found especially helpful in it is the degrees of flexion required for the following activities:
- 65° to walk,
- 70° to lift an object from the floor,
- 85° for stair climbing,
- 95° for comfortable sitting and standing
- 105° for tying shoelaces.
 
does passive ROM, gentle pushing with assistance from someone else, count the same as making your leg go back on its own?
No, it doesn't -- and those passive ROM numbers are really misleading in terms of your actual recovery.

Unfortunately, the reason some PTs do it is because they have an incentive to "prove" that their sessions yield results.

I've had both knees done and my surgeon never measured or looked at numbers. He watched me move and asked me how my function was. As mendogal said, it the FUNCTION not the number that counts.
 
I'm now at 4 months and want to share where I am to see if others are experiencing the same thing. When people ask how I'm doing, the most truthful answer is, much better than where I started, not as far along as I hoped. It seems I'm in a period where one day I think, "Wow, my knee isn't very stiff or sore today. I can finally see where this is going!" A day or two later... stiffness, pain, can't go down stairs etc. I think the illogical trajectory of this recovery messes with the brain. Many ups and downs... the setbacks outnumber the victories. It's sometimes hard to believe this has a happy ending but there's no other choice. When i think back on what I couldn't do one month, two months, three months ago I do realize I am progressing. Surgeons don't help by painting a rosy picture of what this surgery and recovery really is. They should be honest about the pain and duration of recovery. I wouldn't have questioned how I was doing as often if I was honestly told what to expect.
 
@Bfan I totally agree with you that we should be more informed about this recovery! We would be much more relaxed and accepting. I had a partial, and read that it was a quicker recovery than from a total. Mine was not! I was frustrated my whole first year because it was not what I’d read about and therefore expected.

I copied your post above, out of thread from last year, and added here to your recovery, to keep it as part of your history.
 
"Wow, my knee isn't very stiff or sore today. I can finally see where this is going!" A day or two later... stiffness, pain, can't go down stairs etc. I think the illogical trajectory of this recovery messes with the brain. Many ups and downs... the setbacks outnumber the victories. It's sometimes hard to believe this has a happy ending but there's no other choice
I'm just a couple of weeks ahead of you in recovery and am having the same roller coaster ride! However, since this is my second TKR, I know that there really is a happy ending!

Try to be patient. It does get better; it just takes time.
 
I’m a little over 4 months out and I feel exactly like you! Some days are pretty good and I even have the feeling that things are getting back to normal, then I guess I overdo it or something and it starts swelling again. I also wish Drs would be a little more honest about the pain and how long it takes to get well.
My Dr did tell me but I guess it didn’t really register with me!
Anyway, hang in there, we’ll be better soon I hope!
@Bfan
 
@Maggie M and @Bfan I'm on that same roller coaster at 3 months out. About the only thing I can say positive about my surgeon, is that my scar is decent. About 5 minutes before my surgery, he came in pre op to make an appearance and told me Matt would be taking care of me later and surgeon was on his way to Cancun right after my surgery. He had months to tell me that, but neglected to do so. It was very unsettling at the last minute. Never did he mention such a long recovery or the possibility I would be limping. I have thought that maybe I should call his office EVERY time I have a tiny question or concern. Maybe then they would distribute a more in-depth and realistic pre surgery brochure with realistic expectations so we wouldn't have so many worries. Yep.....guess I'm on a rant.... Been doing too much lately....Feel I've been misled and wondering if I would have been better off if I had not let someone saw my bones...waaah...
If I ever have to do something like this again, heaven forbid, I will find a surgeon who has had the same surgery....I know a hip guy...
Mostly, I've always been a glass half full gal, and am trying very hard to see my future with no limping and easy stairs and sleeping without meds....I'm sure I will find a happily ever after story on here that I can look to as my hope...
 
@rubyedith Todayi is my 5 month anniversary and I still have a stiff knee and not a lot of ROM. I’m trying to be positive but it’s really getting hard. I can tell you that my knee doesn’t hurt and I sleep pretty good now. It does get better, I guess I just need to remember that. I just never thought it would take this long to recover from this!
 
If it’s any consolation, my surgeon, well respected senior surgeon at Mass General, told me he has had patients seeing improvements as far as 3 years post surgery. Until we hit the 1 year mark my guess is it’s a roller coaster. He was very straight up with me that it’s a 1 year recovery rarely less. Hang in there.
 
I wouldn't have questioned how I was doing as often if I was honestly told what to expect.
This is so true and would possibly alleviate anxiety for many, making recovery much more tolerable.
A big reason for the frequent reminder here that complete recovery lasts a full year for most and even longer for some. Look forward to improvement over your second and even third years post op, just as Jtmav noted above! Hang in there better days to come, Bfan!
 
I want to thank BoneSmart for getting me through the early months of my recovery. There are caring people here with great knowledge who want to help.
The recovery is challenging. No doubt about it. The diagram BoneSmart has of a squiggly line all over the place is probably the most accurate picture of what I went through. Some days I thought, this is not going in the right direction and I'm sorry I ever did this.
The BoneSmart approach of no pain PT turned out to be right for me. I went for a couple of months, but my physical therapist was told early on not to force or push. Let's do it but when it hurts we back off.
Being as active as possible around the house was my best PT. Shopping, cleaning, walks around the neighborhood was good for mind and knee.
Two weeks ago I returned from a 12 day trip to Europe. I walked between 6 to 8 miles everyday. Stairs, airports, subways... I had a ball. I was on vacation but I looked at like my personal PT. Not everything is perfect but I am so grateful do be back out there... doing it. Keep the faith and have patience! I wish all of you good luck on your recovery journey.
 
I’m so glad you’re coming along so well!

By the way, I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery have only one thread.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

So, please keep all your posts in this thread. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?


Best wishes on your continuing recovery! :flwrysmile:
 
I’m glad to hear you were able to enjoy your trip to Europe with your new knee. That’s what we love to hear! Things should continue to improve for you, as we generally tell people to expect a full year before they can realize all they’ll be able to do with their knee. You’re right, that at this stage your daily activities are the best therapy for you. Slow and steady gets there for most people.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom