Guest viewing is limited

THR 8 days post op, am I over doing things?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with Sharon and Janet; I'm worried about both you and your daughter. I don't know how the system works in the UK, but do you have a case manager you can call? You should not be walking two miles on crutches to get food because the cupboards are bare.
Anyone from UK have suggestions?
 
Hi all

Thanks for your response, I've had a good nights sleep and feel much better today. I'm sorry, I know this isn't a marraige guidance website. I think I have over dramatised the situation somewhat and feel maybe I should not have posted some of the details I mentioned last night as I haven't been entirely fair to my wife. I could have easily called for a pizza.

When my wife goes to work, she's only gone for 1.5-3hrs max a few times a week. She does offer to do the bath time but I've told her I'm fine doing it. When ever she is going out for other reasons she does ask if Im ok to look after our daughter and I always say yes no problem so I've only got myself to blame in that respect.

I also didn't mention that my mother-in-law lives with us and although she is extremely lazy and doesn't ever ever lift a finger around the house in any shape or form at all. She is around and I could call on her for help if things get too difficult. I've also got my own parents who live only 20-30 min drive away. So I think I just need to talk to my wife more and admitt I need her help more, I'm sorry to have worried people.
 
Hi all

Thanks for your response, I've had a good nights sleep and feel much better today. I'm sorry, I know this isn't a marraige guidance website. I think I have over dramatised the situation somewhat and feel maybe I should not have posted some of the details I mentioned last night as I haven't been entirely fair to my wife. I could have easily called for a pizza.

When my wife goes to work, she's only gone for 1.5-3hrs max a few times a week. She does offer to do the bath time but I've told her I'm fine doing it. When ever she is going out for other reasons she does ask if Im ok to look after our daughter and I always say yes no problem so I've only got myself to blame in that respect.

I also didn't mention that my mother-in-law lives with us and although she is extremely lazy and doesn't ever ever lift a finger around the house in any shape or form at all. She is around and I could call on her for help if things get too difficult. I've also got my own parents who live only 20-30 min drive away. So I think I just need to talk to my wife more and admitt I need her help more, I'm sorry to have worried people.

don't try to sugarcoat this, i think there's a lot going on here, and i also think you are very independant and
have a hard time asking for or accepting help. glad you got a good nights sleep! that's important.
talk with your wife, and maybe you can let her help out a little more with your daughter before she
goes out, so you have less to do till she gets back. and while she is out, maybe she will find a few
extra minutes to pick up some groceries for the house, knowing you shouldn't be taking those walks
yet. in a few more weeks, and you are more weight bearing, and with doctors approval, then maybe
you will want to take those walks. but try to get some better quality exercise time, and more rest in
the mean time. My Physical Therapist is always saying that right now, it's quality, not quantity, of the
exercises that will help you heal better.
i'm not touching the comment on the mother in law:gaah:
 
Thanks Dutch

I think I've sorted a few issues today. Did the bedtime again as wifes gone to yoga but did let her do the bathtime. Daughter in our bed that way I can have a lay down whilst reading her stories. No gym today but did take a walk along the river with wife and daughter. Also my wife made me a nice lunch today. I might have a word with my surgeon as I think the mother in laws butt has fused to my setee ha ha.
 
wow, i bet you feel 100% better about things today, i'm very happy things are looking up for you!

now, about that mother in law....... maybe a walk along the river? i think some weighted
ankle bracelets would help her gain exercise, just don't let her get toooo close :shocked:
 
I'm happy to hear progress as been made. Sometimes the best thing we can do for someone else is to let them step up. I was really very concerned.-
 
A little update and Ive posted a link below, thanks for all those kind people who showed concern when things were getting a bit much for me. Now I am much more positive thanks. Sorry if I'm waffling on a bit. Just got no one to talk to about hippy things.

Interesting reading, No liability acepted for any out of date or wrong info, just something I found whilst trawling. I Hope the link works. I really found it interesting about the cementless process and the weight bearing differnences between patients and and why we shouldn't do too much too soon. Any movement in the prosthesis whilst the bones are sprouting will cause them to break and not adhere properly to the porus surface of the stem. Whoops I hope its not too late for me. I can't seem to help myself. Would I know if I've caused the stem to move and I'm breaking the sprouts of bone growth ? When I had my wk 2 check up he told me over the next four weeks gradually go down to one crutch. I didn't tell him I had already been using one crutch for around the house. But to be fair my arms are strong and I can take most of my weight through one crutch. Very recently I've been taking a few steps unaided and I'm not quite at week 4 yet. I think I will wait a bit longer before doing that again. Only another 2wks until my 6 wk check. Im have hardly no pain, well not enough to take any meds so I guess things are ok.

https://www.newtotaljoints.info/cemented_and_cementless_thr.htm
 
It makes me very happy to read that things are improving and that your state of mind is so much better. Here's to a continued good recovery!
 
Hi Swimlikeafish,
I too broke my pelvis on a Motorbike and dislicated my hip in 1998. I was a keen marathon runner with a time of 2:37 and 1:12 for half.

Had my op on the 9th August this year and the surgeon managed to crack the femur when inserting the new hip so have two screws and what looks a metal ziptie around the femur. No weight on the operated leg for 12 weeks I'm getting there now. I would like to start Cycling just bought an exercise bike, the surgeon said I have all the hard work now by making sure I get the recovery right.

Remember that you need to take it easy and get your recovery right.
 
Thanks Whitning, Sounds like you've had a rough time but your 12 weeks must be up soon, glad you have managed to stick with your consultants advice regarding the non weight bearing. Good luck with your recovery from here on.
 
I thought I would update my recovery as its now 4 wks today (Monday) since surgery.

Its funny how I go days without any med then today (Monday) I have been experiencing pain in the outside of my femur at the top which is very close to the surface. Also the tissue surorunding the joint feels a bit hot and stiff along with a few random sharp pains here and there. I've been resting all day apart from a little bit of housework this morning. After dinner tonight I took 500mg Paracetomol and 400mg Ibuprofin. Lets see if that helps a bit.

Last week I did go to the gym twice, but it was for upper body stuff with a small amount of cycling in the gym. I did a gentle swim on Saturday then went in the hot tub plus sauna and steam room. Ive not done as much walking as previous weeks.

Other than that I've been resting a lot. Not doing too much around the house I'm trying to let my other half do more of the cooking and cleaning as I was doing too much in previous weeks.

This week, I'll keep my gym visits to 1 or 2 times max with a small swim afterwards. Try not to walk too far too often. I have been getting problems with my wrists and fingers from walking miles and miles on crutches.

I'm also very tempted to walk unaided but am still using one crutch around the house. My OS wants me to be gradually going down to one crutch over the next two weeks but am already there. I am hoping that my 6wk OS visit will remove any restriction and that I can start to walk unaided and maybe cycle too.
 
[Bonesmart.org] 8 days post op, am I over doing things?
Swimlikeafish, sounds like you have everything well in hand. Slowing down a bit will probably be good all around. I used a walker, but walking aids of any kind can become a pain. It's always nice when you can put them away and do it on your own. Restrictions are often removed at 6 weeks, and life becomes a little more normal; although you still have to be careful for a while.

The day is coming that you will never even think about your hip. Only time I really think of mine is when I'm on the forum. Hope I well eventually be able to feel the same way about my knees---although they are great!

Take care and keep up the good work.
[Bonesmart.org] 8 days post op, am I over doing things?
 
swim, it sounds like you have settled in a bit, good for you!
glad to hear you are getting some help, and have stopped those
long walks to town for now!!!! give it a little time, and you'll be right
back at it, and soon totally unassisted.
good job!
 
Welcome to BoneSmart Whitning great that you have joined :) Sounds like you have had a rough trot so far since your surgery in August.. a slow and steady recovery for you my friend.

Would you like to start a thread of your own in the hip recovery section.

The benefit of having your own thread is that you can ask more specific questions relating to your personal situation and we can answer them. Also other members will pop by and respond to you directly with their experiences and support.

I look forward to following your recovery journey... you will get there :)
 
Swim, sounds like you are doing very well.. :)
 
I am five weeks post op with a non-cemented ceramic hip. Part of the reason I was told to non weight bear or overdo it was so that the bone growth integrates with the ceramic. Too much movement can hamper the bone growth. I understand from what I've read on here that no two people have the same information given to them.
I can't wait to start back at Pilates, keep fit and swimming but at the moment my body seems to be using all its energy healing my bones. Why push it?
 
I slept very well last night, I've been turning onto my good side during the night lately. No pain at all this morning.
Thanks guys for your comments and showing an interest.

When I origonally came onto this site, I found it very confusing as to how peoples restrictions varied to such a degree.
There seems to be people who were able to fully weight bear so soon after surgery especially those in America. My surgeon told me to partially weight bear for 6 weeks. That left me thinking whats partially weight bearing 20%, 50% 70% ? Anyway no-one specified how much rest I needed or why I should actually rest at all. I think maybe the hospital need to adopt a special approach to younger patients to discuss about the healing process and the need for allowing time for the bone to grow onto the inplant and to secure it in place. I didn't find out about this until nearly week four. At the beginging I did have thoughts about the possibility of the stem moving and becoming loose but couldn't find any reference to this apart from the long term lossening which seemed to apply more to cemented hips so dismissed those thoughts as irrational. I guess my problem is I don't ask questions. On my week two OS visit, I was only in with him for what felt like 2 minutes, He took off the dressing and said thats looking ok, I lay on the bed and he bent my hip to 90 degress and was told to gradually go down to one crutch over the next 4 wks then I was being ushered towards the door and that was privatley not NHS. So I didn't get to discuss about activity levels and stuff. I do still recomend him though as being very good.
 
Well another week has past and today I am 5wks post opp.
Last week I did a lot of resting and that made me very irritable like a caged animal. On Saturday I did go to the gym and did a thorough but gentle workout followed by a short swim, steam room and sauna. That made me feel much better. This week I am using one crutch and will be going for walks outside with just one. I have already been naughty and shuffling around the house without any aids but am having to hold back as have not been given the green light from the consultant yet. I am seeing him next week and having a 6wk xray so hopefully all will be ok and I will be able to fully weight bear and maybe increase the workload of my exercises. Hpefully then I can go back to the physio and try to increase ROM. I'm already going past 90 degrees with flexion but haven't had any rotation for 20yrs.

Pain wise, I have a little bit here and there especially after long walks or a lot of exercising but rarley needing to take anything. The swelling has gone right down and feels more like my leg again. Slight pain when clenching the buttock area and down the outside of the femur but that seems to go away after a good rest. Also sometimes I get a sharp stinging pain in the scar. Other than that everything going ok apart from my diet which seems to have gone out the window.
I hope everyone else is getting on ok.
 
Yesterday evening I had my 6wk post opp check with an xray. The consultant has given me the ok to fully weight bear and also drive. He advise me to build up my activity levels gradually. He said I could go back to work when I feel ready so I am thinking maybe on 7th Jan. My job involves driving, lifting and carrying goods into peoples houses. I hope I'm not being too optomistic as I also have to cycle 6miles each way to and from work as there is no public transport at the times of my shifts and I don't have access to a car very often. I am very keen to get back to work as have been living off statatory sick pay for several months, but I am just so happy my hip opp went so well. Thanks to everyone who offered advised and support during my early stages of recovery and good luck to you all with your recoveries. Obviously this is not the end for me, I understand I still have a way to go so will be updating. Cheers all, Have a good Xmas.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom