Guest viewing is limited

THR 8 days post op, am I over doing things?

Status
Not open for further replies.
should have had it done long time ago instead of suffering the pain
damage caused by result of adolesent teenage years

james, which condition led to your hip replacement? i just had bilateral replacement 3.5 weeks ago myself,
stemming from teenage scfe, both hips, and surgeries back then to install those pins.
 
yes to much to soon be carefull remember it has to last 20 years' the bones have to mend after all
and undoing the good work would result in disgusting hospital food i am from uk also, glasgow
my new hip is 1 year old now better than i could have ever wished for and no pain at all
should have had it done long time ago instead of suffering the pain
damage caused by result of adolesent teenage years

Hi James,

Welcome to BoneSmart, great that you have joined. I see you are quite a long way down your recovery journey, a year, same as myself :)

Would you like start a thread of your your own in the hip post recovery area and share with us more of your story, that way members can interact directly with you, me included.

I think once we have witnessed the benefits of our THR, we all may have twinges of regret that we didn't go ahead sooner. With regard to only getting 20 years out of a hip replacement, I tend to agree with the statistics which say that the lifetime hip is already here..

Did you have a bad experience in hospital? Once again, start that new thread of yours and share your story with us :) james;
 
Congratulations james on your hips first birthday, It sounds like you are doing really well. I'm in surrey, West London. Luckily I was able to have my hip done privatley through out works pmi scheme so I had lovely hospital food, I was quite dissapointed when they told me to go home after 2 days and I missed my lamb shank and apple crumble that evening.
 
i had a car accident resulting in two dislocated hips and a broken pelvis when i was 17 young and care free i thought i was indistructable .the broken right side gave me the pain for years
 
Hi swim - sounds like you are doing very well. I was not allowed in the gym until after my 6 week followup. Then I was only released to use the stationary bike and crosstrainer without resistance. Please remember - this is a very short space of time for a life time without hiip pain. Any minor weight gain will fall off once you are fully mobile and active again.
 
james Please do start a thread of your own so we can talk more about your specific thoughts, experiences and feelings. That way our discussion won't derail this thread. We'd love to know more about you and how you're doing now.
 
I was 17 too, came off a motorcycle and dislocated left hip, fractured pelvis. It was the worst pain I've ever felt. I only made about a 70 percent recovery in that hip. I can't imagine having two dislocated hips that must be hell on earth.
 
james, and swimlikeafish, OUCH! they both sound like painful injuries!
 
Thanks for you replies which to be honest have frightened me a little.
Why so? What has frightened you in those articles?
400mg Ibuprofin and 20mg Di Codamol three times a day.
Di Codamol? I've heard of Codrydamol, co-dodamol and even dihydrocodeine but necer Di Codamol. Can you confirm this?
My surgeon told me I had disolvable stitches but when I changed my dressing for the first time on day 8 I didn't see any stitches nor staples, maybe he used glue. I had to phone the hospital to ask how to change the dressing. They told me to have a shower, dry the wound and stick the new one on.
Oh you had dissolvable stitches alright! Take a look here Closing surgical wounds: how is it done?
When I originally dislocated my hip in 1991 I was in traction for 6 weeks, I was in terrible pain for many weeks. I remember laying in bed tears rolling down my face biting down on the bed sheets begging for some for some decent pain relief but my requests seemed to be ignored. After being strapped to the bed via a set of weights and a metal rod through my shin bone for 6 weeks, my muscles had deteriorated so much so that I couldn't even lift my foot off the floor.
I think you might find we have entered the 21st century in this now, swim! we no longer engage in medieval torture like that!
I can't seem to find much info on the problems created by over doing things other than the risk of dislocation. maybe someone can enlighten me.
.Well, they are all dealt with in the articles I posted for you in post #4, the ones that frighted you, remember? That's why we post them to each and every member that comes on here.
 
Dutch, what's teenage scfe ? with pins is it some sort of fracture ?
Slipped Capital Femoral Epiphysis, known over here as SUFEs, slipped upper femoral epiphysis! The epiphysis is the growth plate and every long bone has two - one at each end!

[Bonesmart.org] 8 days post op, am I over doing things?
​
 
Thanks, for the info josephine. I meant Co dyrdomol, I had some left over from a slipped disc so hospital said that would be fine to take. I haven't had any meds today just one 400mg Ibuprofin this evening. It wasn't the articles that frightened it was more peoples reactions. I have eased up on things a bit since.
 
those sure look like my xrays from before my THR!
nice info Josephine

you will notice that even after the "knowles pinning" the
ball at the end of the femur isn't sitting squarely on the
femur, throwing the geometry off in the joint.
after 35 years, mine finally caused too much pain.
 
Dutch
So your hips must have caused you problems right through your life time. Thats terrible. I only hope that the new ones will offer you some sort of normal life and that you end up pain free. Good luck with the continued recovery.
 
to be honest, i really had no ill affects for most of that time, i guess it took a long time
to wear out , i walked and stood with my toes pointed out though!
then about 4-5 years ago i started feeling pain, started out mild and
progressed from there.
 
wow
wow
wow

Remember your first posts asking if you were overdoing it? HOLY COW!

I think you were so disabled before your surgery that now that the hip works, and
the hip pain is less, you are thinking you are good to go. I would think that 2 mile walks,
on crutches, outdoors, in the dark and rain, would qualify as overdoing it! I think there would
be a great risk of a fall or accident that could set you back to your dislocation days, and I"m sure
you wouldn't want that!

It sounds like you need some help around the house, if you can do online grocery shopping, great!
is there a relative or friend that could take you to your follow up appointments and PT?

I can imagine after all you put your body thru, that you don't feel like you made any progress.
If you can, try to limit those walks and do it during daylight when you can see and be safer.
I have been doing either a walk or a decent PT session every other day, trying not to get to the
point where i am fatigued. I will admit that today (Sunday) i pretty much laid around the house,
as we have had cold and snow so really not much to do today. We had done some shopping and
a movie yesterday.

Keep us posted, and see if you can get some help with your household duties, it sounds like you
are on your own at this point. Maybe your spouse is so used to your activity level such as your
16 mile walk that she feels you have to be better now that you have been operated on, but I'm sure
many here will remind you that you are still very soon into a long recovery.

Has your wife ever seen the video of the surgery you had??????? ;)
 
Thanks Dutch, yes you are right, I thought I might provoke such a reaction. I have also have been getting a little of the post opp blues so may have been going to the store just to get out the house whilst directing my frustrations towards my wife for not doing any shopping. Anyway. I'm going to bed in a minute so I'm going to say good night for now. I will update again soon. Hope you are doing well. Hanging on in quiet desparation is the English way, I love that pink Floyd line.
 
SWAF, post-op blues are entirely normal. Walking 2 miles on crutches...rain or shine....is not. I can't tell if you are exaggerating your wife's lack of awareness or concern about your recovery, or if you are telling us things about your relationship that maybe we shouldn't know. Illness or disability is often a huge stressor in a marriage, and if you are entirely serious about what is going on, it's pretty disturbing to me, so I hope this is a temporary bump in the road. But for the sake of a successful and uneventful recovery, someone else needs to tend to shopping and some of the child care, while you do some serious resting. And use enough pain medication to help you too. It's much harder to catch up....staying ahead of the pain makes it easier on you all along.
 
SWAF, I have to second Sharon and say that the things you did or were compelled to do 3 weeks post-op are entirely excessive. I'm trying very hard to find kind words, but leaving you in your condition as the sole caregiver could be construed on the one hand as endangerment of the child and on the other hand as abusive to you. Pure physical well-being and safety is of vital importance on both sides. I'm hoping with all my heart that you are able to address this to satisfy all concerned. PLEASE take care of yourself.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom