Guest viewing is limited

TKR 6 Weeks Post Surgery, very stiff<

Thank you SusieShoes, that is excellent advice, I will certainly be taking. My new pt just got me to twitch my knee and press down a bit to ease extension. She didn’t push down on it. My first physio really forced my bend and it was excruciating. Was scared to go back to him after he saw me in hospital and forced so much, then three times in outpatients. It was so bad!!! Thank you for your encouragement x
 
@Jazz1963 Hi, I had my TKR on Jan 20th but then had to have an MUA on 17th March, i went back to work on 16th April on reduced hours and will gradually increase them. I would say you might be ready to go back mid June, i'm basing this on my experience, it sounds as though you have a similar recovery to me with the swelling and stiffness. The Occupation Health Coordinator where i work said 12 weeks is how long they expect someone to be off work for, in hindsight i think i could have taken a couple more weeks off but i was ready to go back, just not full time yet.
I couldn't drive until after my MUA as my leg simply wouldn't bend enough to sit in the car properly, let alone drive before this !I drove about 10 days after the MUA, so it would have been about 10 weeks post TKR. My ROM is about 96 degrees, i can do stairs normally (but VERY slowly !) my extension isn't too good at the moment but will improve with more walking, my limping is getting better every day now.
I'm quite good at stopping if i feel i've done too much, a shopping trip with my daughter at the weekend really affected me so i took 2 days with just minimal exercise and iced as much as i could to recover. Just like you though, by mid afternoon/evening my knee is soooo tight from the swelling, it's a relief to go to bed !
I've resigned myself to the fact that it will all happen when it's ready to and not before. Keep taking the pills :hugzz: !
 
@Jazz1963, you are way overdoing it. In those articles that were left for you, it says to never let anyone push your leg. It causes much more hard than good. Just use your knee normally and it'll come back just right. What you have to be concerned about now is just letting it heal. As it heals the ROM will come.
 
I swear the hospital PTs are the worst. :(
 
@Josephine so difficult to go against my physio, but I’m really being gentle and not pushing myself to cause pain. I don’t find paracetamol really reaches the pain, but I’m taking co-codomol now during the day. Thanks for your advice. It all helps!!!
 
I don’t find paracetamol really reaches the pain
Having this much pain is an indication that you are doing too much and your knee is staying inflamed. Cut back on the PT and exercises and you will feel better and heal faster. You are the boss, not PT.
 
so difficult to go against my physio,
I understand how you would feel that way when you are in the office with them, but you really should tell them that they are asking too much of your particular knee.

And it’s a whole different story when you are home and they are not with you. There’s no one but your knee to please when you are home.

Not everyone’s knee can handle all the exercises. Mine certainly couldn’t. The first month I did exercises at home, but not as many as recommended. Once I found Bonesmart I didn’t do the exercises at home, and I cancelled some PT appointments and said no at PT to some things.

It’s your knee that’s in pain, not theirs. Take care of your knee.
 
I was six weeks post op on Thursday. My mind is shocked reading a lot of responses about people having PT force their knees repeatedly. I only had one person try that in rehab, which I told her to stop and to never do that again. I went back to my room in tears and she came in later to apologize. Thankfully it did not do any damage but I’m sure you will get better with a different PT person. I end PT Wednesday because I’m already past their goals but I know they said “it’s not what we can push you to do, it’s what you can do yourself.” Maybe reiterate that to your PT!!!!

I have stiffness if I’m out and about too long. Or if I don’t get up and about at night and move. My swelling is dependent on weather (oddly).
 
@Tired2007 It sounds like you are having a good recovery and your outlook sounds good. Im glad to hear you “stood up” to the therapist who did hurt you and that was really nice that she sought you out to apologize. Hopefully she changed her protocol after that.

Before I found Bonesmart I didn’t stand up to my therapist, and I was frequently force bent at every appointment (3x a week) They never told me that it only mattered what I could do on my own.

Best wishes to you as you recover. You’re welcome to start your own recovery thread if you’d like to.
 
Thank you Sistersinhim do you know what, I don’t do anywhere near as much as they ask me too. I’m sitting here now and it’s hot and inflamed and I’ve only done about a third of what they say to do. I’m taking co-codamol now. A bit of codeine at night time x

I’m very tempted. I’m seeing my Consultant tomorrow, then will rethink the physio. The senior physio I have now makes the most sense and tells me it will take a lot longer because of the amount of time I had knee problems prior to surgery (46 years). She’s the first to actually acknowledge that at the hospital.

Can’t believe what the first physio wanted me to do. She’s teaching me to walk which is quite useful, and doesn’t push the bend at all. I’m going to take a rest from the exercises over the weekend and see if it helps. The one thing that does really help is the massage she taught my husband to do. My knee does feel better after doing it. Not so stiff at first. Thanks for your really helpful advice xxx

Thank you Josephine x

Thank you, that is so useful x

My first physio was shocking, I’ve been told to complain about him. I’m so glad I have a senior physio now, who seems to understand my history and how long it is going to take.

I’m going to try to get longer and longer between sessions. She tells me to use both crutches because using one makes my knee stiffen and swell up more. I think she is right, but it is so tedious still using both at 8 weeks. I alternate and use one when I’m doing jobs, or carrying coffee or lunch etc.

Trying to use my common sense a little more. I really appreciate everyone’s advice x

You are so right. I need to take control more x

Thanks Hopalong, so good to hear your story xxx
 
I’m glad you have a good PT now who understands you and is helping you, especially with massage and walking.
 
Hello I am not quoting posts so I must be doing something wrong. SOS x
 
This last post was fine.
 
Hello I am not quoting posts so I must be doing something wrong
Yes you did - you quoted about nine of them! I removed the quotes and merged all the posts into one which is post #32
 
What do you think about an MUA? I have been told I may have to have one if my bend doesn’t improve in another 7 weeks.
 
What is your flexion (bend)? There’s probably no need to worry about an MUA. A lot of healing can take place in 7 weeks! Your swelling should continue to go down and the amount of bend increase.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom