Guest viewing is limited

TKR 6 Weeks Post Surgery, very stiff<

ROM will continue to improve on its own. It just takes time, time to heal and time for the swelling to go down. Swelling is what is keeping your bend from increasing. The more you try and make it bend, the more inflamed it gets and then it swells. Think of a garden hose full of water. It won't bend. Drain the water out and you can bend it. It's the same for the knee. Give it time.
 
It’s only about 70. It is really tight like I’ve got a massive elastic band around my knee, and it gets really stiff. Don’t have to do much before it stiffens up and the band is always there.

I must have quoted without knowing what I was doing Josephine. I’m just sending replies in the bottom reply area now which I assume is correct.
 
@Jazz1963 hi there, I dont know if this will help or not but the other evening after I had iced my very stiff knee for the regulation 20 minutes I decided to have a soak in the bath. It wasn't too hot but it was really lovely and when I got out my knee wasnt stiff at all, it was amazing.
A long time ago I had a homeopath who always suggested following cold compress with heat, he did explain why once but sadly I can't remember, but I just wondered if it might help? I guess it depends if you have a bath or a shower!! Hope it helps.
 
If it worked for you, that's fine, lizziescam. However, do be careful. Soaking in hot water can lead to increased swelling of your knee.
 
@Celle gosh, thanks for the heads up, I would never have thought that might happen. I'll be careful
 
@Jazz1963, my knee is the same with the tight feeling, it comes on as soon as i do anything ! BUT, i have noticed a couple of times recently that it seems to be getting less and less and is in different places sometimes. I sort of get the feeling it's starting to ease ? My RTKR was in January with my MUA in March so we're sort of at the same stage i think x
 
@hopalong61 my rtkr was 21 March. I am considering MUA. Would you recommend one. I only want to have it done if it will help the tightness. It sounds like possibly in a couple of months I might ease off. Can you drive, and did the MUA help your tightness and the band? X
 
@lizziescam thank you for that. Unfortunate I cannot get in the bath otherwise I would give it a go. Wonder if heat would help. Will ask my physio tomorrow xxx
 
Hi @lizziescam you can't choose an MUA, only your surgeon can decide whether it's needed. There is no way i would have chosen an MUA, i needed one as my ROM was about 30-40 at 6 weeks post TKR. I cried when i was told i needed one but it worked and my ROM after the MUA was 100 degrees so it was a huge success as far as i'm concerned. However, the tight band feeling is still there as the MUA just disturbs everything all over again. It won't ease it for you, if anything it will make it worse ! I could drive the week after the MUA, i could hardly get my leg in the car before it. The tight band feeling is gradually easing now but i am 10 weeks post MUA now, some days it's still quite bad. Speak to your surgeon and Physio about how you are feeling, an MUA is another operation, not something to be taken lightly. My surgeon does approximately 150 TKR's a year, he told me in the last 5 years he has only had to do 4 MUA's so i was comforted to know that he thought mine was necessary.
 
Hi @hopalong61, I think you meant your most excellent comment for Jazz1963. :heehee:

It's true MUA is not something the patient generally asks for. The surgeon is the one to make that call. MUA is not a quick fix and is in fact quite traumatic to the newly-operated knee and sets recovery back a few steps.

Your knee is only two months out from surgery, so it's still likely to gain ROM as the swelling inside the knee goes away. Continue to rest, elevate and ice and see what time can accomplish.

Heat feels good but will cause swelling if applied directly to the knee. Soaking in a tub would probably just result in more swelling. Once your knee is fully healed, of course, you can get into a hot tub and enjoy, but for now it's best to stick with showers. :bored:
 
Thank you everyone for making sure I got that message. I was seriously thinking of having a MUA, but my OS has suggested I wait another 7 weeks and see how it is then, but he has said my physio will let him know how I’m getting on. I’m hoping my ROM will improve. I don’t want to make things worse!!!
 
I'm glad your OS suggested you wait a while before having an MUA. There's no time limit on when you can have an MUA, so waiting a bit longer might prevent you from having an unnecessary procedure.
 
Trying to decide if MUA is the next step for me. I’m 12.5 weeks post op and my knee is still really stiff. My ROM is probably somewhere between 70 and 80. Would appreciate people’s comments.
 
I was seriously thinking of having a MUA, but my OS has suggested I wait another 7 weeks and see how it is then,
I like your OS. He is very reasonable!

Your knee is stiff because it's swollen. If you can't see it outside, it still is inside. Stiffness is the last thing to go. Read a lot of threads and you'll find out it's a common complaint. It is not a reason for a MUA. You need to work on getting that swelling down. You do that by just doing your daily activities and then icing and elevating as much as possible.
 
@Jazz1963
It may be that your knee needs you to cut back your exercise and increase the amount of time you spend icing and elevating it.

You need to ice for at least 45-60 minutes at a time and you can elevate at the same time. You won't do any harm by icing for as long as that, as long as you protect your skin from frost bite by having some material between it and the icing medium.

I think I'll ask @Josephine to advise you. She will probably ask you a lot of questions. Do answer them as fully as possible, so that she has all the information that she needs, to advise you appropriately.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom