Guest viewing is limited

TKR 6 Weeks Post Surgery, very stiff<

Hello Jazz. I visited my OS today regarding my next tkr in early July. He said quote “range improves for 2 years”. We have no aggressive PT here in NZ. He was very happy with my ltkr 6 months out. My experience has been slowly, gently and kindly does it. The bone is cut many times, the tissue is damaged it swells and causes stiffness.
The healing takes time for most of us.
Take good care
Kathryn
 
I live in NZ and I love it, too.

My surgeon doesn't allow any PT at all for the first month after a knee replacement. He says your knee needs that time, to start on its journey of healing. For that month, we rest, ice and elevate our leg, and walk around the house.
After that month, we just go to PT once every 2 weeks, where we are shown a few new exercises to do at home.
His patients all do well and achieve good ROM, as I did, and he hasn't had to do a manipulation to help with ROM for the past 4 years. I think that speaks for itself.

Not all surgeons in NZ have the same philosophy. It depends on where they got their post-grad experience. If they did that in the US, they are more likely to recommend intense PT. I still meet people in my town who have had knee replacements done by a different surgeon and they all tell me "You have to work at PT", so their surgeons obviously have a different approach from my surgeon.
 
I’m 13 weeks post op and about 80 ROM. Extension is pretty good -5. It feels a little stuck for bend. It does ache more as the day goes on and gets stiffer which does imply swelling inside. It does feel very tight when I drive too, so I don’t drive far. Thanks guys x
,
 
I’m 7.5 months post surgery, still limping quite a lot, still using a stick outside, knee still feels very stiff, worse as the day goes on. Struggling with walking downhill, and walking downstairs. Honestly wondering if my tkr has failed. Has anyone got a similar experience. Thank you, Jan x
 
Hi Jazz1963 catching up with some of the threads and after doing some reading up on yours I am having second thoughts about going to a physio think I will give it a miss and let my new knee do the talking
 
Sorry to hear that things aren't going too well @Jazz1963. What happens if you don't use a stick? Do you do much gentle exercise ? I mean to slowly help with downhill walking.
 
I wouldn't worry about it. Your knee is just over halfway healed. There's still a lot going inside it. This recovery takes a whole lot of patience. That's not fun. I'm sure your knee hasn't failed, just still not finished healing yet.
 
So I’m 11 months post op now, I don’t use the stick as much only if want to walk the dog or go shopping therefore walking a fair bit. I’m still healing! Wow it really does take a long time to heal. It’s getting stronger and stronger. I can walk upstairs quite easily now, and downstairs holding on and slowly. Thats not bad considering it has probably been 20 years or more since I could walk down the stairs, and at least 5 or more years since I could use my right leg, always down one by one using my left leg. Wanting to give hope to people who think they’re not doing well, for some of us it really is a long journey of recovery. I only have a bend of maybe 95/100 and I’m told I built scar tissue really quickly. My OS wants to do a MUA in May, 14 months post op. I don’t think I’m going to have it done, I don’t want to risk any further problems. I might get a better bend, but I also might start having further troubles with my replacement, and I like that it is continuing to improve and heal all these months later. Keep going those who are in recovery, it does get better xxx
 
That is a great report! You are wise in looking past a “number” and celebrating your accomplishments!

I also think you are wise to trust time for more improvements and to be wary of possible issues with an MUA at this point.

Well done, you!

My ROM continued to improve in my second year.
 
My OS wants to do a MUA in May,
I don't understand this. That's over 2 months away. He has no idea what your bend will be then. It sounds like to me that you are doing quite well. Most doctors would never even consider doing a MUA if you are 90* or better. I'd say to forget about it and continue to improve as you heal and live you life!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom