TKR 6 weeks post op and counting

I am 18 days post surgery. I had my surgery on Monday went home Tuesday. I would say the second and third days were the worst. I’m off pain meds except when I go to PT. They are gentle but it’s still aggravating muscles. My cold ice machine is wonderful. I used a walker for about 10 days and a cane for 2. I’m walking around my house slowly but without assistance. Even gone out to dinner once. The bedroom is on the second floor and I got up it the first day home and went downstairs for the first time 4 days later to go to pt. I go up and down stairs at least twice a day. I find I sleep a lot during the day but have trouble staying asleep around midnight to 2 am. I wake up and toss and turn. My cats are my constant companion.
 
Nlh61 Your doing fantastically well by the sounds of it. My surgery was 25 th so I’m a wee bit behind you.
My bedroom is also upstairs and I have been going up and down the stairs since the day I got out of hospital.
I’m still using my crutches at the moment and taking Tramadol 4 hourly.
I had my first trip out to lunch today, went well I enjoyed getting out, but I was very tired afterwards.
Out cats are also great company.
 
Three weeks out and I’m at 92 degrees ROM (I think that’s right) and I can lay my knee flat on the table. Still going to PT three times a week. No meds, only ice. Can go up and down stairs slowly. I had my first real outing this past weekend. Got my hair cut and went to the grocery store on Saturday. Then on Sunday my husband and I went to Costco. A bit tired but feeling good.
 
Last edited:
Wow! What a wonderful recovery you are having. With all you are doing, you don't even need PT. You are already there! Just be careful to not overdo. Your knee will make you sorry you did!
 
Does anyone have any idea if it’s advisable to use Bio Oil on your scar. I’m not yet full 3 weeks P.O. scar is healing well I think but a bit dry in spots. I don’t want to interfere in the healing process .
 
No, don't put anything on your scar until it is completely healed, with no scabs or open areas. If you put lotions or creams on before that, you risk introducing infection.

If you've used Bio-Oil before and had no reactions to it, by all means put it on the rest of your knee if it's dry, but avoid the incision - keep the oil at least an inch away from that scar.

You don't need to put anything on the scar to help it heal. Nature is pretty good at doing that job without any intervention.
Have a look at this article: Massage post THR

You're having a very good recovery so far. Do be careful, though, not to start doing too much, too soon. Check your activity against this article: Activity progression for TKRs
 
That’s helpful Celle I will leave well alone.
I have been sticking to ADL with a walking route through my home.Starting to use one crutch most of the time, though I still keep 2 by my bed as I tend to be more unsteady in the wee silly hrs of the night/morning going to the bathroom. My knee is definitely getting less stiff and painful, no clue what my range of motion is just that it’s getting better. Content with that for now.
I go back to GP on Wed as Tramadol will be done that morning, not sure what his plan will be, the 3 hourly Tramadol has kept the pain manageable, though it’s not without it’s moments and I don’t feel as spaced out as I did on the Oxy, and none of the extreme itching that occurred with Oxy, we will see.
 
I did well on Tramadol, too. Hopefully, they'll give you another prescription.
 
Met GP this morning, he has given me one more prescription for Tramadol and some advice on a planned reduction over the next few weeks. I was also able to do a little shopping at the supermarket.
Now sitting with my feet up,ice on and a nice cup of peppermint tea n cream cake.
 
You are having such a sane and lovely recovery. FInding ways to enjoy our convalescence is half the battle. I mean, you’re going to be lolling around healing anyway, so why not treat yourself to things and foods you love? :roseshwr:
 
SusieShoes I’m very grateful to have turned a corner in terms of pain and trying now to get a balance between resting and recuperating and increasing my level of activity.
Reading the experience of others I see I’m very fortunate to have had very few complications thus far.
Little goals and rewards keep me motivated.
Got everything crossed my recovery will continue steadily in coming weeks n months.
 
So yesterday was my 3 week op anniversary. This morning I woke with very numb leg, very tight and heavy. Now after 1 noon I still can’t bend it very much at all. Not sure why this occurred I was a little more on my feet yesterday but not excessively. My question is do I walk this off , excercise and stretch or do I elevate, ice and rest.
I have noticed others in the site have experienced these type of symptoms so I assume it’s just part of the wiggly wobbly path to recovery.
 
While I didn't have this --and hope someone will come along who has and so give firsthand information-- it seems to me you should elevate, ice, and rest. In almost every case, not being able to bend a knee is due to swelling, so anything you can do to decrease the swelling should help. Are you having anything unusual in the way of pain?

Also, has the numbness subsided? Could the numbness have been related to your sleeping position? Is this numbness of the skin, or is the leg numb to pressure or standing? I really hope your numbness went away entirely!

One thing to keep in mind with exercise is that even "minor" activity at this early a point in recovery can have greater negative effects than expected. PT, for example, can "not hurt at all" but the next day the knee can be terribly swollen and painful. It's entirely possibly you did more on your feet yesterday than you realize, and your knee is letting you know it's not happy about it.
 
SusieShoes No unusual pain,but it has stayed numb all day.
My leg is always a bit stiff in the morning but this is different. Almost like the whole leg has gone sleep.
I suppose it’s possible I did more than I thought, going to GP, the shops and I made a pot of homemade soup.
I will to rest elevate and ice till knee feels more normal.
 
oh darn it!!! I so HATE it when it happens that unbeknownst to us, feeling fairly decent, and then doing a bit more that doesn't seem to bother us at the time at all, then shows up with the swelling and stiffness. I have had it happen more than once as many others have. Such a fine line to walk as far as when to know when to stop, when to do a little more, etc. It's very frustrating! I get discouraged and feel like I'm slipping backwards! But thank God for the ice and elevation. It's just my low BACK that is killing me from all the laying around! I hope your rest brings it back round and you feel better soon!
 
Feeling like the whole leg has fallen asleep doesn't seem right to me. Maybe someone else will come along to tell you this happened to them and what came of it, but... have you talked to your OS? I think you should. If my leg, I would make that call.
 
Funkymuse It is indeed difficult to get the balance right. I share your frustration with back pain, Iv had a herniated disc in the past and sporadic bouts of sciatica. In normal circumstances I try never to lie or stand in the same position for too long. That is impossible just now because the knee needs me to rest and elevate.
I have been icing my back and my knee to help both.
It’s a long journey but I’m sure it will worth in the longer term.
 
Last edited:
How's that numbness in your leg?
 
Sisterinhim / Susie shoes:
The numbness is gone , knee still very stiff and range of motion pretty non existent but only painful if I try to move it beyond the point it’s comfortable. Last night in a half sleep state I rolled over and tried to bend both knees up foetal position, which how I normally sleep, I woke very!! quickly and almost levitated above bed the pain was so sharp and intense.
I will go easy today try to walk a bit but no excercise other than day to day jobs. Ice n elevate.
Thanks for all the help and encouragement.
 
Back
Top Bottom