TKR 6 weeks post op and counting

Continuing to make very slow progress.
If all goes well I’m hoping to go out for a few hrs on Friday with my fabulous husband whose been an absolute star looking after me.
My kittens/ cats Saga and Sofie have decided my crutches are great fun to climb and jump on, usely while I’m walking or trying to get up or down the stairs.
[Bonesmart.org] 6 weeks post op and counting
 
Last edited by a moderator:
They are cuties, but oh my, climbing on your crutches while you’re using them :yikes:

The first time I took a walk outside alone one of our neighborhood cats cane over to greet me and walked with me a bit. You know how they kind of zig zag around you. I kept looking down to see where it was, thinking, don’t trip me or I’ll never be allowed out alone again!

Enjoy your outing but make it a short one. If not you will pay for it later.
 
My husband is now charged with making sure we know where they are when I’m mobilising on the stairs.
Re Friday trip yes only planning 15 min drive and an hour for lunch....
 
I'm a cat rescuer and at the time of my surgery, I had 13 inside/outside cats. I used a walker, which they were afraid of. Do you have one you could use? Also, a strong thump on the floor with the crutch while yelling, "No!" might keep them away from you.

Those kitties of yours are adorable. Makes me want to get a couple of kittens since I have only 8 cats left and all of them but 2 are teenagers!
 
I had my surgery the same day! Two weeks later and I'm ok. I slept well last night, my knee is pretty stiff this morning. I stopped taking Oxycodone Saturday and am taking acetaminophen for pain with good results. We should compare days.
 
Sisterinhim: I don’t have a walker, just crutches, I think it was the novelty of my walking on crutches that peaked their curiosity, and like most cats they love to zig zag round your feet. I now get Steven to ensure we know where they are when on the stairs The kittens are 8 months, this is my first experience of having a cat, there hilarious and very loving. Particularly good company whilst I’m laid up, I’m getting lots of snuggles.
 
Last edited:
Re Yellic I’m on Tramadol was on Oxycodeine for first few days. The Tramadol is a little milder doesn’t make me feel as spaced out n sleepy. My leg is stiff too, and it’s still difficult to get comfortable at night.
I do feel much better this week compared to last and hopeful that everyday will be a wee bit better.
 
Got me last sterile strip dressing off my knee today, was able get in the shower and wash my hair. I was shocked at how exhausting that was, had lie down on the bed to get my breath back and stop my head spinning.
The scar is big and fairly ugly, my husband said it look so painful it made him queasy to look at it.

Didn’t get a very good sleep last night but had nap this afternoon. Iv been trying not to sleep in the day in the hope that I will sleep at night better, but I couldn’t fight the sleep.
Tonight after tea I managed to balance on one crutch and set up our wood burner with papers, kindling and wood and light it successfully, was chuffed with myself.
Still got very little movement in the knee but swelling is getting a little better, Iv ordered a lounge doctor to help with correct elevation, my pillows keep moving about in bed.
Still hoping for a trip out tomorrow.
 
Iv been trying not to sleep in the day in the hope that I will sleep at night better, but I couldn’t fight the sleep.
Remember this article?
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Your night time sleep is likely to be disturbed for quite a while yet, so don't try giving up the daytime naps yet. Just sleep where you can, when you can, and how you can, so that the naps and the sleep you get at night add up to about the number of hours' sleep you need, plus a bit extra, because sleep helps with healing.
Don't get obsessed with counting the hours, or with clock-watching.

It was at least 3 months before I started sleeping better at night. I planned to pass the sleepless nights by moving into the spare bedroom and watching mindless TV. I'd often fall asleep with the TV playing softly - or I'd get up and sleep in my recliner for a while. Either way, I didn't disturb my husband's sleep, so he was rested and could help in the daytime.
 
Celle That makes sense I will give it a go thanks again
 
You started a fire! That's great!

I don't think it helps to avoid naps during the day, you still won't sleep well at night :groan: So nap whenever the urge hits. One person here fell asleep in a recliner display at Bed, Bath & Beyond. Just take the zzzz's wherever you can find them :zzz:
 
Yes your right, I noticed my leg muscles have improved getting in and out of bed
I needed to lift my leg onto the bed but can now move my leg independently.
Thanks

Oh my!!! I must say I'm jealous!!!! I have to try to do that! I don't seem to have any quad strength! Did it just appear out of no where?!!!
 
Funkymuse
I found my bed difficult to get in and out of bed it’s fairly high. I kept hurting my knee getting and out because it sort of dangled off the end putting pressure on my poor knee. I kept trying different methods of getting in n out and one day I swung my leg up and it worked. I certainly couldn’t do any leg risers in hospital but I can now.
 
Funkymuse
I found my bed difficult to get in and out of bed it’s fairly high. I kept hurting my knee getting and out because it sort of dangled off the end putting pressure on my poor knee. I kept trying different methods of getting in n out and one day I swung my leg up and it worked. I certainly couldn’t do any leg risers in hospital but I can now.
My bed is high to so I've been grabbing my ankle and hoisting it up and then lifting it down. So.. do you actually swing it up or tighten your muscles to lift it up? I think either way would be an improvement to what I currently do!!! You gotta love the visuals of this recovery!!!
:rofsign:
 
I think I swing my leg so far and use my leg muscles to lift it all the way up and across the bed then up onto the pillows i use for elevating my leg, that’s the hardest bit. Recovery it’s certainly a learning curve.
 
Did you ladies realise that you can also use your "good" leg to help lift your TKR leg onto the bed? Hook the foot of your good leg behind the ankle or heel of the TKR leg and that can help with the lift.
 
Did you ladies realise that you can also use your "good" leg to help lift your TKR leg onto the bed? Hook the foot of your good leg behind the ankle or heel of the TKR leg and that can help with the lift.
That's what I did--it takes some of the strain off the leg. And pretty soon, you don't need it.
On the sleep front, I took a nap every day. Early on I had a morning nap and and afternoon nap. :)
 
I didn’t have to struggle early on to get my leg up on my bed, my awesome husband always helped me. Then one time I was able to do it myself. And I wasn’t just getting my leg on the bed, I had to swing it up onto my elevating wedge.

It took longer when I sat on the couch to get my foot up on the ottoman. He would always gently pick up my foot and and put it on the ottoman for me until I could do it myself. :roseshwr:
 
Did you ladies realise that you can also use your "good" leg to help lift your TKR leg onto the bed? Hook the foot of your good leg behind the ankle or heel of the TKR leg and that can help with the lift.
Yes.. well.. I used to do that but sadly my right knee is worse than my TKR knee so using that to help is not an option.. I've got to protect that baby as much as possible until I have to get it done.. which right now I CANNOT think about!!! :scaredycat:
 
Funkymuse Try not to worry about it, when your legs ready, it will move.
They keep saying on here all we need is time. Have a fabulous Friday
 
Back
Top Bottom