TKR 6 weeks post op and counting

This website has been a godsend for me. I continue to re - read the articles and I hang on the words of others. I am 8 weeks tomorrow and I remember feeling exactly the same way about swelling and fatigue. I did sleep a lot and that was when I got some peace-then I would wake up and the worry began again. I'm embarrassed to say that it took me too long to completely trust the Bonesmart way. When these people tell me something is normal, I believe them. With PT I thought, what do they know about normal, they are 25 years old. I was Googling desperately for answers and here they are! I hope you find this great support as well.
 
Reading and relating. I think all my problems have been from PT or overdoing. I do gentle PT and ADLs. I do my errands and am paying more attention to my knee and leg. Typically my leg gets tired. I seldom have actual knee pain.You seem to be "normal" but I'm no expert. We don't get much Oxycodone where I live. Too much on the news about the "oxy" abuse, I guess. I've done ok with Hydocodone-Acetaminophen. I like the word chuffed; the kittens are beautiful. I have 2 rescues. A lot of cat people on this site!
 
When my leg is very tired and it seems like it's numb. I just call it my concrete leg-- so heavy. Th hats when I I've and rest.
 
SusieShoes:
Thanks for advice and your recovery experience, it’s very encouraging to know we go our own higgledy piggledy route to recovery.... but we get there just the same.
The leg has got better by itself so far, I’m confident it will continue to do so.
Iv got my hospital check this week, it will be the first time I have seen any health professionals aside from my GP, since surgery. I guess I’m just a bit anxious because I’m not sure what they will be expecting. I’m hoping I don’t get “sent to the headmaster” for not doing my PT homework :whistle:
 
Last edited:
Tiaint
Good to hear from you .
I still sit with my leg elevated most of the time and sleep with a pillow between my legs. I figure this helps with swelling and the more comfortable you are, the more rest you get, the quicker I will heal.
 
Jakeleg
I have also found the site essential for information and support.
I actually feel very fortunate to have recovered as much as I have in 6 weeks , some Iv read about on here have really had a tough time.
I’m still resting elevating and icing regularly, and find that helps.
The cats are great company, their really still kittens at 7 months but their getting bigger all the time.
Best wishes on your recovery.
 
Last edited:
Got fairly good report from orthopaedics team today. My leg still not allowing me to sit leg completely flat, but they didn’t seem worried at all, said its nearly there and will come in time.
The bend in the knee was 90% not sure if that’s disappointing or not at 6weeks ? I’m fairly sure I can do better than that, but it was first thing in the morning and measurements done with me lying down ? Apart from very early days in hospital Iv always done excercises sitting on a chair or standing. But again they didn’t seem concerned about that number.
They told me not to push recovery , take meds regularly and that “ only TIME will lead to complete recovery and healing “
They showed me my X-ray which shows the previous sideways buckle, my leg is now completely straight :loveshwr:Looking forward to a bath and going to bed without surgical stockings on :yahoo:
 
Looks like they know how to do PT where you are. You're very fortunate. Some of the experiences here are painful to read.
 
jakeleg:
I know I’m very very fortunate in many respects. I can see from the many feedbacks on here that not all have a routine recovery or a supportive team in rehabilitation.
Have to say I was surprised they didn’t give me a harder time I was dreading the appointment.
 
Last edited:
Got fairly good report from orthopaedics team today. My leg still not allowing me to sit leg completely flat, but they didn’t seem worried at all, said its nearly there and will come in time.
How wonderful!! What great support!!! "It will come in time!" - that's what they tell us here on the forum!! But no wonder... you live in the UK NOT in the 'behind the times USA!!'

The bend in the knee was 90% not sure if that’s disappointing or not at 6weeks ? I’m fairly sure I can do better than that, but it was first thing in the morning and measurements done with me lying down ?
Yah.. I don't know why they have to measure laying down. Maybe someone on the forum knows the answer. ??? I've only gotten to 67% so 90% is fantastic at 6 weeks!

They told me not to push recovery , take meds regularly and that “ only TIME will lead to complete recovery and healing!
Gosh.. once again... fantastic!!! Gives me such hope.

They showed me my X-ray which shows the previous sideways buckle, my leg is now completely straight. Looking forward to a bath and going to bed without surgical stockings on.
Congrats!!!!!
 
Funkymuse lovely to hear from you again , I really appreciate your feedback, I have to say I was shocked :yikes: to hear the hospital feedback. I was fearful I’d get a telling off and 100 lines for not doing my homework.
I really don’t understand how different areas of the world can have such different methods of rehabilitation, I mean we are all human beings with defunct knees. How do they all arrive at a rehabilitation protocols that are so diometrcaly different :shrug:
I’m ecstatic about the bath and sin surgical stockings. For a change I’m looking forward to going to bed....
 
Just a note on flexion (and extension). The numbers are degrees, not percents. So our lovely @Kyoung has 90 degrees of flexion, I'm assuming. That's quite good at this point.

Extension, getting the leg straight, can take a little time. It will come quite naturally as you do more walking and daily activities. You really are lucky not to have a medical team that doesn't expect quick fixes!
 
Sounds like you're right on track!
 
I really don’t understand how different areas of the world can have such different methods of rehabilitation
Unfortunately, here it seems a lot of the PT is motivated by money. As long as you have insurance coverage, they want to keep you coming. When PT pushes you, your new knee gets inflamed and swells more. That lowers ROM. Many PTs don't care if their therapy makes you swell. After all, then you will have to keep coming because they need you to push to get those numbers. As we all know, our recovering knees don't need aggressive PT.
 
That sounds so sad.
I’m just glad I came across BoneSmart early in my recovery and wasn’t forced into extreme PT after surgery.
 
Hi I’m at five weeks post op as well, my biggest bugbear is the trying to get a good long decent sleep. I’m walking about house with no aids and only use one outside, I’m walking roughly 1.2 miles a day with one crutch and only get a little stiffness. I do exercises everyday and that assists stiffness. Another thing I’ve noticed is if I stand still for a period my new knee gets sore so that must be a point
To rest and sign of overdoing it.
I drove this morning ( Short journey and was fine with it) I can get in and out of car without crutch. I checked with insurance and I’m covered, it will be short journeys to start and it get me out to walk in parks with better surfaces. I’m quite happy with recovery stage and just keep thinking positive . This site is really helpful for advice,
 
Joshyboy
I am also experiencing stiffness in my leg but the site seems to suggest that’s very normal. It’s a bit frustrating really, I want to be better and back to normal, yesterday, but need to learn to be patient.
I keep telling myself I’m fortunate to have got this far this without too many problems.
Sounds like your doing really well
 
Stiffness is normal. I complained about mine for months! You might not see swelling on the outside, but still have it inside. There isn't a whole lot of room inside that knee capsule, and when fluid builds up, everything inside of your knee is restricted. Once all that fluid is gone, then ROM and free movement will be back!
 
Sisterinhim:
I am slowly realising and trying to be accepting :chinstroke:that sporadic burst of pain, swelling and stiffness are a fairly constant feature of recovery.
I’m trying to gently increase periods of activity, I need to consider that I will need to return to work in a few weeks. Right now I don’t have the stamina to do very much, but hopefully that will change in time.

I’m mindful that the rehab team advised me that “there are few things I can do to hasten recovery, but numerous things I can do to slow it down, impatience is probably my greatest difficulty.
 
Back
Top Bottom