TKR 6 weeks post op and counting

I’m trying to gently increase periods of activity, I need to consider that I will need to return to work in a few weeks. Right now I don’t have the stamina to do very much, but hopefully that will change in time.
Your body and your knee will keep on healing and where you are now is not where you will be in a few weeks' time.

That lack of stamina is the energy drain - most of your body's energy is still being directed towards healing your knee - and it will linger for a long time. You'll notice that when you do go back to work. Make work the only thing you do on those days. Come home, grab a quick meal and then spend the evening resting, elevating and icing.
Energy drain for TKRs
 
Thanks Celle
I can see that there has already been a massive improvement going from constant pain, no sleep or appetite, to sleeping for most of the night, little pain and a return to munching my way through the kitchen.
I am looking forward to feeling more energetic, but the main priority is my knee healing ......
 
My whole of my knee seems be a dark purple colour, not all the time ,it’s not bruising, not sure why.
Do others find there knee doing this for no apparent reason
 
Yes.. mine does it especially when i get up and move about... the PT was curious about it today. It stays that way around my incision all the time.
 
Funkymuse
Thanks just curious to know if it’s a “ normal” development.
If there is such a thing as normal in knee recovery.:flabber:
 
Mine did it. I even sent Josephine a photo of it and she said it was perfectly normal. I'm sure yours is, too.
 
Sisterinhim
Thanks I didn’t think it was anything to worry about, just curious what was going on.
 
Check up with GP today and requested that he sign me fit to return to work, with a phased return mid Jan probably the 18th. That would take me to the 12 week post surgery.
My employers have already agreed to a phased return over the first 4 weeks, with options to review this if necessary and use AL to extend modified hours.
My GP was not happy to sign me back, he wants to see how I am in January and have some details of the phased return.
I am keen to get back to work, I’m worried the longer I’m off the harder the transition will be.
I have a fulfilling but demanding and stressful job, as a manager of a very busy Social Work Team in a large inner city in Scotland.
I’m already feeling anxious about leaving my team and clients without full support for the weeks Iv had off so far.
But I recognise im not helping myself or them if I’m not fit enough to do my job.

My boss has suggested I draw up a draft proposal for my 4 week phased return.
I can include shorter days and or shorter weeks and some working from home to reduce travelling.
I don’t drive and travelling by public transport to case conferences or court etc can be demanding, even on two good legs.
Has anyone on the site got ideas of what a reasonable week would be. Are shorter days shorter weeks best.
I still have some stiffness in my knee, which requires elevation,rest and ice, but the main concern I have is my current lack of physical energy and mental agility.
Any pearls of wisdom much appreciated. Sorry this post is sooooooo long
 
@Kyoung I'm going back to my part-time job in January. My experience since overdoing a few times tells me shorter days will be best for me.

I could have appointments from 9 to 5:30 if I let them be scheduled. I plan to try 1/2 days in the morning and 1/2 days in the afternoon when I can.

I do have the luxury off working M W F, but I don't want to overdo to a point that I have to spend all my days off icing on the bed. I've l learned that the hard way. At times it has been hard for me to get going in the morning after too many hours out.

My job is not stressful , but there's a lot more sitting than walking. If I overdo, both result in pain and fatigue. I overdid yesterday and slept 8 1/2 hours with no medication.

Just thought I'd let you know I have been thinking about work schedule, also.

On a different note: when I was a flight attendant for Pan Am, I flew with a girl from Scotland who said her father got the idea for Velcro when he was picking burrs out of his socks after a walk. True? I don't know.

My mother picked out our vacation spots a couple of times. In Glasgow we put coins in the heater. We were still too cold. A lovely country though.
 
Last edited:
Jakeleg:
Thank you for your help, I will try to incorporate your ideas , shorter days make sense.

Re Velcro Not sure if I can claim credit for Scotland re inventing this. Possibly a Swiss invention?
We certainly have plenty of what we call sticky-willies in our park and country areas that stick like glue.
Hope you continue to recover well and best wishes on your return to work....
 
I would try to start with short days as well as a short week.
 
Just thought I’d wish everyone A Happy Hogmanay
Hope 2018 brings you all Health and Happiness
 
Same to you @Kyoung. I've always wanted to be in Scotland for new year. Hope you having good recovery.
 
Back
Top Bottom