TKR 6 months still stiff

There are many products for dry mouth that work very well. The swabs are just one. There is a liquid, tablets, gum, and maybe even more that I don't know about. Have these on hand as I'm pretty sure you're not ready to be completely off your prescription pain meds quite yet. If the pain builds again, you'll need to go back on the schedule the doctor set for you. It was working according to your posts. The problem was the dry mouth and the frequency of dosing. Both those are things you can work through if you need to. You really must keep your pain under control.
 
I found that sucking barley sugar sweets was the best thing for my dry mouth.
 
I kept sparkler mints available all the time. They helped my dry mouth and even my nausea.
 
Hi everyone [Bonesmart.org] 6 months still stiff
Here's an update after my glorious post honeycomb removal shower. Many of you probably ave had a honeycomb wound covering. I did shower once with it on when I came home and now I am free and clear with the icky looking steri strips.
As far as meds go, it is working out for me to just use tylenol. I feel very fortunate because the side effects of the drugs and dry mouth were, to me, unbearable. T'is true that if my pain had not lessened I would have pursued anothe regime but thank God I don't have to. The Norco provided very little relief, I know Tramadol and the oxys make
me sick from previous events and so the side effects had nothing to balance them out.
Last night as I moved in bed, I realized something had changed and suddenly I had more movement. less pain. This whole process is so unpredictable and so much easier to go thru with all the support at Bonesmart!
Today I spent time on my stationary bike rocking back and forth with a TV show!
Doing minor home PT with gentle heel slides, leg lifts .
Thank ya'll so much......
 
You are doing very well. Isn't that sudden, unexpected improvement wonderful. That's the kind of a surprise that really good!
 
It sounds like you've turned a little recovery corner; kudos!
 
Good news about the improved movement. Hope that continues for you.
 
@Hopetohike. How are you doing? I am like you. I can't tolerate the meds. Had to switch to just tylenol on the 9th day post op. By the time I quit the meds my nausea was so far gone that it has taken 5 days to be able to even feel like eating. Hope you are still doing well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
 
Hey@dmetz ... Thanks for your concern:loveshwr:This morning I am doing so well I thought I should pinch myself as a reality check!

Immediate post op , in the hospital, I didn't have much pain. Looking back at the approximate 48 hrs before I went home, the entire time was actually spent chasing after a regime that wouldn't cause nausea, not actually much about pain. I was good immediate post op until evening and then the nausea began. Then the "try this, try that" all IV by this point cause I guess once you get nauseous oral delivery just means throwing it all up.

Here I am at day 12 and excited about the glorious weather, since that means walking outside! Going to start a daily recumbent bike rocking also. Luckily I already have one at home.

I'm doing just fine on 1000 tylenol every 6 hours, steady elevating, and ice much of the time. very little swelling.I certainly can't complain...so grateful for this group.
I've been reading different threads in the evening and am so amazed and heartened by the stories, the courage and the support. I'll be donating, too, for sure.

When I got my other knee done in late 2015, we went to the Oregon coast at 7 weeks 'cause I could get into the hot tub/pool at the motel and actually walk the beach a bit.
I just made a reseration for the sam place, same room at 8 weeks to celebrate this new knee..Yay!!
 
uh-oh just read the posts about hot tubs! Maybe I'll stick to the pool. I 'm pretty sure I went in the last time but maybe just briefly. Honestly, I don't think it's worth the risk if I'm doing well.
 
how do you get the active "@" then an email ..?
 
@Hopetohike, yeah, avoid the hot tub, delicious though it may sound! Even for a person without recent surgery, they are often a bacterial soup; ugh! Just enjoy the sand, surf and the change of scene! I'm so glad to hear you are doing so well!
 
@Hopetohike. I am so glad you are doing well. I'm doing ok off of the pain meds also. I'm at day 14 and things are definitely looking up. It's hot here in California. Supposed to be 110 for the rest of the week so I will be hiding in the cool of the house except for PT. There is so much to be grateful for! I am looking forward to being able to hike again. My left knee was done in October 2016 and is fabulous! Hoping this one is following the same path. At this point they seem about the same at the 2 week mark. Sorry to drone on! Just very happy today! [emoji3]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
 
@dmetz.. I feel the same way about my LTKR and now my RTKR. I sort of think I'm having a bit more stiffness in this one but honestly I can't remember! I know I read and posted on this forum in Sept/Oct 2015 but had a different avatar name and can't remember it. I'm sure if I do a little digging I can find it.

I am 15 days out and I have been paying close attention to my activity level and possible changes in pain, stiffness, etc. I honestly can't seem to correlate anything so I'm opting for "moderation". Yesterday I really took it easy and this morning the knee felt just as stiff as a day after lots of activity. Go figure.

My daily regime right now after morning coffee is a little warmth with a flax seed microwave pad and then 10 minutes of back and forth with recumbent. I have no idea what my ROM is but I can walk just fine, am just shy of going "over the top" on bike. I'm also randomly doing heel slides and when I go to toilet do the pushing of the leg farther back. My guess is between 80-100. Don't care.

I am NOT going to formal PT and may never go. I did go 2 different places with my other knee and honestly, everything they did was on my instruction sheets from the surgical center or available here other places on the internet. I'm not saying it can't be a good thing but I'm very self-disciplined (in this area :). If not, I think I would go out to therapy and take charge like we are educated to do on this forum . I was so happy to hear about the updated Mayo Clinic policies. I think it will take a long time to trickle down and we can be part of that!

Just after my one year mark with other knee, I suddenly gained enough ROM to practically touch my thigh! I have a theory that this was from the position I tend to read in , in bed, most nights. I am on my back with knees sort of in a meditation crossleg position. SO, I think every night I was gently coaxing it along. I remember not being able to bend and touch the back of my other knee early on and then , voila!This would go along with the idea of just living an active life and your knee will follow you along!

Today I'm going out for coffee with friends. taking my pillow along for chair and I'm pretty sure I'll be fine.
I will report back to my beloved bonesmart friends.
PS I also want to tag @mechellac since I just spent my last icing event reading her posts. I read the instructions for tagging but I need to go back 'cause when I use @ and the name it doesn't show up as a active link. Maybe it will when I post.
 
Make sure your spelling is just right.
 
Hi hopetohike! I am so glad you're doing well. I had my 2 week postop today. OS says everything looks good! ROM is at 117. He said extension is great. So I'll just keep doing what I've been doing and I'm sure it will turn out like the other knee. I hear ya on the PT. The reason I'm going is the e-stem and the cryo machine they use. It helps settle down the muscles in my legs and keeps me more comfortable. Otherwise the exercises are no different than the the sheet from the doctor. It's been another good day. [emoji3]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
 
What is e-stem and cryo therapy? Sounds worth asking about..
 
@dmetz.. I feel the same way about my LTKR and now my RTKR. I sort of think I'm having a bit more stiffness in this one but honestly I can't remember! I know I read and posted on this forum in Sept/Oct 2015 but had a different avatar name and can't remember it. I'm sure if I do a little digging I can find it.

PS I also want to tag @mechellac since I just spent my last icing event reading her posts. I read the instructions for tagging but I need to go back 'cause when I use @ and the name it doesn't show up as a active link. Maybe it will when I post.
If you can give us some idea of what your previous name was, we can merge your accounts, so you can read your old thread - also, you're not really supposed to have 2 accounts.

If you can remember the email address you used for the old account, that will help us to find your old account. Can you let us know that, please? You can send it to me via a PM if you like, so that it is not on public display.

The reason your tag to mechellec didn't work , is because you didn't spell her name quite correctly - It's mechellec.
 
Back
Top Bottom