TKR 6 months still stiff

Not sure of the best place to post this? I will check the infop and see if it's already there.

I met a new friend who is 2 years out from TKR and has been pretty down about only having 90 flex. She dreamed of riding her bike again and could not.

Guess what? She bought the pedal adjustments from orthopedal.com and is now joyously peddling away!

Please check this out if you are having trouble cycling.
 
A friend of mine is about 2-3 weeks out in her recovery and having a lot of problems with pain. I'm looking for a chart that I remember seeing early on in my recovery on this site that lays out very nicely the timing for using various drugs together? I've searched but can't find it . Can anyone help?
 
Is this what you are asking about:
[Bonesmart.org] 6 months still stiff
 
Hope I'm posting the correct place! I'm 18 months out and beginning to get concerned about my TKR.

I have very good flexion and extension, an able to dance, hike and bike in a moderate way.

What I'm concerned about is the still present" not ok" feeling. There is a level of soreness that is there almost every day. Some stiffness, too.
Going down stairs I have to be careful since it feels" tight" . wearing a light sleeve helps a lot.

No problems sleeping bit it is definitely still some numbness. If I tap lightly I can feel that but it's like if I hit it hard on something I just know I would go thru the roof!

Does anyone else have this at a year and a half?
 
I do, and I’m concerned about mine, too.

I’m can only go upstairs foot over foot if I use a cane to support my weight. Even with a cane, going down steps is painful. My knee will be 2 years in March.

On a good note, my ROM continues to improve and my whole leg feels better in general, all those tight areas in recovery have relaxed.
 
Yes, I still have discomfort, too. Though, my walking and up and down stairs are fine. My pain comes from certain movements. At times I even feel like the bottom stem is moving little, but I have no symptoms of a loose implant. Some of us might only get a certain amount of pain relief. At least there's improvement!
 
I did have increased pain at 2 years out that was mostly under my knee cap. It turned out that there were adhesions over the knee cap and causing it to grind against the prosthesis. What does your doc say about your pain?
 
I did have increased pain at 2 years out that was mostly under my knee cap. It turned out that there were adhesions over the knee cap and causing it to grind against the prosthesis.
Did you undergo any medical treatment for that? Did your surgery include installation of a patella button? Thanks
 
Yes, I had a patella button. for the adhesions I had an open lysis of adhesions (removal of adhesions). My doc decided to put in a slightly larger spacer and he cleaned out all of the extensive adhesions. It took about 4 months to recover, but the pain itself only lasted 4 days or so.
 
I think a part of me doesn't want to check this all out. The idea of additional surgery makes me quiver ! My trust level is very low. It helps to hear that some people have had " clean ups" that went well.

I had an x-ray and checkup at 13 months. It's 5 months later. It was the usual" the x-ray looks perfect, all us well" He did manipulate my knee a bit and pointed out a clicking sound that he said didn't sound quite right. Come back in 3 years!

I am going to make an appt
Like I said, it functions very well but the ongoing low level pain every day is annoying.
I'll let you know what he says
My expectations are very low as to whether he'll have anything to suggest:umm:
 
I think a part of me doesn't want to check this all out. The idea of additional surgery makes me quiver ! My trust level is very low.
I feel the same!
He did manipulate my knee a bit and pointed out a clicking sound that he said didn't sound quite right. Come back in 3 years!
If it was me I wouldn’t bother with someone who admitted something didn’t sound right, but didn’t want to see me again for 3 years! If it was me I’d be looking for a second opinion.

I knew before I went to my one year check up that it would be the last appointment I made with my surgeon.

And I do understand the stress of finding another surgeon, I’m in that boat. Especially since my first second opinion did not go well. I have 2 names to check out in 2019.
 
Like I said, it functions very well but the ongoing low level pain every day is annoying.
I, too, still have low level pain and it might be something that some of us will have to face. I hope it's not that case with you. Do you have any swelling?
 
As far as I can see, I have no swelling. The Doc just thought it looked perfect at 13 months.
Yea, I'm afraid that may be the case...long term minor pain.

Sometimes I think it's a nerve issue since I hear that can take up to 3 years to heal. For awhile , ocassionally, I felt sensations all up and down my left side. I don't have any "jolts" like some people describe, though. Also don't have the whole left side stuff anymore.

I feel like I have been climbing a very tall mountain since about 4 months. VERY VERY VERY slowly but I could see progress month to month. Either that has stopped or the final recovery has slowed down even more, and/or I'm at a plateau now. Thank God I can do the things i like.

Have you checked with your Doctor @sistersinhim ?
 
No, I haven't seen him in over a year. I'm debated on whether to go back to him or find a new one or just live with it.
 
Back
Top Bottom