TKR 6 months still stiff

Because of nausea in hospital I was just taking Tylenol every 6 hours but suddenly yesterday extreme stiffness set in.Every hour or I do a few house laps and my knee literally feels like a 2x4. My swelling is minimal and today I'm trying some Norco to see if it addresses this feeling. so, my confusion is.. is this considered pain!? It does hurt, kind of a burning feeling and definitely limits movement. Should the Norco alleviate this?
Now, to answer your questions:
Yes, the stiffness and "log leg" feeling are both forms of pain. At only 6 days post-op, it is not unusual for pain to increase. You will still have swelling inside your knee, even if it doesn't look very swollen on the outside.

Your pain and your nausea both need to be controlled properly. It is your doctors' responsibility to do this, so get on the phone and get your medications sorted out.
If your surgeon won't help, contact your own doctor/PCP.

It is simply not good enough for you to be tinkering around with your medications and asking us for advice. Doing that isn't safe and Tylenol is insufficient pain relief at this stage.

So far you've asked us to advise you about taking Lorazepam and now Norco. We aren't qualified to do that - only your doctors or a pharmacist can do that, and it is your doctors' job to do it, so sort it out with them.
There are other drugs combinations that should control both your pain and your nausea. Keep on at the doctors until you get something effective.
 
one of my fears is that if I can't control the pain, I can't do PT and will therefore end up with no flexion.
As others have said - your ROM is not dependent on exercising. In fact, it can actually block it because of the pain and swelling.
I was just taking Tylenol every 6 hours but suddenly yesterday extreme stiffness set in - my confusion is.. is this considered pain!?
All these are types of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness but very often people don't recognise them as such.

@Hopetohike I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 
Yes… tried Norco and phenergan yesterday…Result: extreme nausea no pain relief. This AM I talked to nurse and she didn't have anything to offer at this point for medication that i hadn't tried. Tomorrow I'm going to a PT just to consult and get his opinion. Comes highly recommended and I'm prepared with all the knowledge I've got from this site. The good news is that I am moving really well. Don't do it but can walk unassisted even with Logleg. I can lift my leg, do raises, etc. Swelling is minimal. When I'm not up and about ( toilet, house laps, snacks,) I'm either icing, elevating or both.
 
when I can home from hospital it had seemed like the Norco was working. So that is the prescription and instruction I got. A few hours after coming home, got daily nauseous like last night. That's why I switched to just tylenol.

Feel like I'm being perceived as a bit pesty:) just trying to garner advice from those who have been there.
 
The scopolamine patch doesn't work for you either?
 
This AM I talked to nurse and she didn't have anything to offer at this point for medication that i hadn't tried. Tomorrow I'm going to a PT just to consult and get his opinion.
A nurse can't prescribe the medications for you (she doesn't have that training) and a PT is not qualified to give that advice either. You need to talk to a doctor about your medications. Be firm when you phone, and insist on an appointment with a doctor, or talking to a doctor, not his/her sidekicks. You're paying the big bucks for your surgeon's knowledge. Make sure you use it.
This playing around with your medications is not wise.
 
I just can't imagine getting by on Tylenol for this type of surgical pain. We have others, @JennyLynne for example who were nauseous from pain meds. After trying zofran and it didn't work she got a scopolamine patch (by script) which did work. Then as time goes by and your body heals you'll need less medication and then none.

I agree with Celle, that you need to speak with a physician to get a handle on the pain and nausea.
 
Hang in there with the nausea. There were a few days for me where saltine crackers and Tums were about all I was eating. It gets better. I was not willing to keep trying new medications as I figured eventually I would get used to it. The meloxicam is what upset my stomach most.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
It can take some time to work out the meds. I can't take norco at all- nausea and no pain relief. However, percoset worked well on my pain and I just needed to find a way around the nausea. And then I felt immensely better! this is just an example, from of my experience.




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm sure the "log leg" is part of the pain. I found pain meds helped. It does sound like you need to talk to your OS about what you've been doing, taking etc. and get a plan from him re: the nausea and pain.
 
Same with with me, Norco gave me a funny fuzzy feeling whereas Percocet or Oxy give good pain relief and no side effects.
 
Per docs orders, trying promethazine every 6 hrs. and 5 mgs Norco every 2 hours. Began regime with first Norco dose, 1/2 hr AFTER promethazine always with food. Keep ur fingers crossed for me! I had to steel myself for possible nausea. So far so good.

This may already be posted somewhere but using frozen water bottles instead of ice in the cold water circulator is so efficient. Buy 12, freeze them and swap them out whenever. Means my husband doesn't always have to handle the ice. Simplifies things enormously.

I also keep a cotton scarf around my neck to loop over my foot for lifting my leg into position that it's not quite strong enough yet. Hope that makes sense!
 
I'm glad you called the doctor and he's working with you on the pain and nausea.

Yes, many use frozen water bottles instead of going through all the ice. I had a nifty leg lifter but a scarf, towel, or belt will work also. I always took a bit of food with my pain meds to combat nausea and it seemed to help.
 
I'm glad you spoke to your doctor and got a different medication regime. I do hope it works for you.
 
Good luck with your new meds.
 
Glad to hear you and your doc are working out a new medication regime that sounds promising! Here's to remaining pain and nausea-free,:cheers:
 
Good for you for being the token wimp. I'd say you were the smart one.

The nausea must have been horrible. I cannot imagine throwing up while going through the whole can't feel the knee, pain thing. I did get nausea, but no throwing up.

Take care.
 
Reporting back!Well, I started at 9 AM with a promethazine , followed a half hour late with the Norco and then another an hour later. I Continued this complicated regime all day. At times my pain was decreased by half and other times, just the edge was off. I could definitely flex more. No nausea

I was pretty elated. Hubby and I worked out the overnight schedule . Meds at 1:30, 2:30, 3, 5:30, 6:30 and 9 AM.
Needless to say this was beyond harrowing . About 5 AM I woke up (I had actually briefly fallen asleep) with dry mouth so bad I could barely pry my mouth open, an excruciating headache, light nausea and "I've been hit by a MAC truck" feeling. That's an American phrase expressing the utmost of suffering! I took 2 tylenol instead of the Norco.

Dragged myself out of bed to my comfy chair , had a little coffee and lightly buttered toast and waited

I took a stroll around the house, pedaled the bike a bit. I am done with the meds. Yes, it hurts more , but I do walk quite well with one crutch, , I can pedal the bike , I have very little swelling and it's not unbearable.

My husband went to the medical supply store and got some mouth swabs for dry mouth. I love them. I'm a hospice volunteer and that's where I learned about them.
Thanks for all your support. I'm actually feeling very positive.
 
I'm glad you know how to treat that dry mouth. That is so uncomfortable. You don't feel like you can eat a thing. All I wanted to do what drink, drink, drink. Then the trips to the bathroom broke up my rest. I was so glad to get off of the pain meds! With lots of ice/elevation and rest, you should be able to get along ok.
 
On some levels, you seem to be doing very well, it all just seems complicated by the meds. Here's hoping that just Tylenol and ice will work for you. My huge ice-blanket is my best friend.:console2:
 
Back
Top Bottom