TKR 6 months and leg pain gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it was so nice to have a glimpse of the future and to know its possible to have not pain hang in there everyone. my PT told me the OS HAS to clear you to drive maybe because its California or something so i called and left a message with a medical assistant thats all you can do
Kneewords,
I think your PT is giving you a line. I live in CA, and I don't think there is any formal requirement for your OS to clear you to drive. If there was, he would have to fill out a DMV form, right? My OS said to drive when I feel I am ready to, and when I am off the narcotic medications (or at least right after waking and before taking any). My PT said the same.
Glad to hear that you had some pain free time. 8 weeks can be a tough time. Hang in there, it gets better!

Roger
 
Yes, I'm not sure what the deal is. Maybe because it's my right knee. I was driving at 1 month with my left. Don't think there is any documentation and as long as nothing happens you're fine. I guess I'm thinking if I hit someone they could sue for something - haha - good ol cali, making me too paranoid. BTW I'm a good driver. I kind of don't feel ready. Anyway I have too much shin and ankle pain, they hurt more than my knee, and a husband that pampers me to death and says he'll just drive me. I'll post what the medical assistant says if they ever call me back
 
Kneewords,
I had RTKR on 8/1/13 and am still not driving either. I tried because the OS said if it felt comfortable to go ahead. I still have so much shin pain that after pressing on the break for a little while (10min) on and off I was more sore then when I started. I will give it another week and maybe try again. The knee is coming along, but the shin pain is terrible! My husband says the same, he will just drive me but ......
Sure would be nice to get out for a little while on my own. Guess it will come and trying to be patient but its not easy :)
 
Hi DebR, that darn shin pain is making me crazy! It never stops. Mine is on the inside of my leg above the ankle bone and up mostly. It hurts more than my knee. My PT said its "referred" pain .
 
I had BTKR on 6/10/13. I have iced in so many places I lost track lol Sometimes its the front of my knee, other times the side, other times its the quad muscle (i had a small tear post surgery). I have had the shin pain too, off to the side, but thought it could be my sciatica kicking in. Im still on pain meds, although much less frequently. Thank God my pain management dr isnt one of those Drs that rush you off.
 
Yes i love when you get a pain in a new place! time to freak out for me and start crying WHYYYY!! and then its gone and you forget i even had pain .i. i had no pain for one half of one day i guess it was busy packing to move to the new place.. you bilateral guys have my respect i cannot even think about how tuff that must be :flwrysmile:
 
Kneewords, my shin pain is on the same place. Inside of replacement leg-from below implant point almost down to ankle. This is so frustrating! My OS said to give it one more week and if no better to come in for a work up. He wants me to see specialist to have bone density , bloodwork etc. in other words check my bone health? I already know the answer, it's awful, haha! I am working since Monday, but just 4 hrs a day and that's enough. Resting and icing in between. I almost think this is worse then the knee at this point, but hard to tell really. Just about 7 weeks out, sure didn't see this coming. Keep me posted as to how you are doing.
 
Hi DebR my operated leg looks kind of ripply (cellulite?) and the veins seem to be sticking out more than my other leg. MyPT said he thought my circulation is not as good in that leg. I bought some leg vein support at vitamin world usually Im very leery of herbs but this one seems kind of low in the ingredients its called beautiful legs and after only 2 days my leg looks better! ( i hope its ok with everything but was not going to call the OS they still havent called me back on my driving question anyway and i called them last friday). i also am really trying to stretch the back of my leg/knee i grab my foot and lean over from a sitting position with the leg up (not too much though)
dont know about the bone thing your OS wants to do my bones are like cement! and i have it too but of course they are the DR.
Wow youre back at work! I know what you mean i just want the pain to stay in my knee (what a thing to wish for!) but i think you know what i mean haha. hang in there and let me know how you are
 
Well it is 9 weeks yesterday and here i am with sleep issues, not much appetite etc, i thought i would be long past this by now. woke up 2x last night finally gave up and started reading bionicwoman and friends you guys are hilarious!.
Went on an 8 hour road trip to my grandbabies shower, did great and decided to stop at Winchester Mystery house, Mystery spot and Monterrey fishermans wharf I was on a roll adrenaline going thought i was healed even the next day at home i was a ball of fire yay Im healed! OH NO says the knee, yesterday totally wiped out and had appt for therapy after almost a week with none. Therapist was shocked i did so much and seemed ok even gained 3 degrees ROM! Tired Tired Tired. and then NO SLEEP. Im getting used to my midnight reading of BS and snack last night it was Little Debbies and Cow Tails. DebR i tried to post you and it wouldnt let me i hope you are doing well read your thread thats been a long road for you girl. Let me know how you are i dont know how to tag anyone i can barely find my own to write stuff. sleep deprived? drugged? naa Oh and i decided i was taking too much meds and switched back to tylenol 4 MISTAKE back to my Norcos only took 1 day of 1/2 misery this time, Im getting smarter. BONESMARTER!! haha This sight has been such a help wish i had it for my first TKR:sad::bicycle2:
 
I guess it's human nature to constantly test our limits!! Who doesn't?!
 
Kneewords, thanks so much for checking! I lately, am not doing so well. First few weeks I was seeing real progress, them came the shin pain which has been pretty constant. Back to work last week but only 4 hr days, have noticed last few days that along with the shin pain, my entire replacement leg feels like it is constantly burning no matter what I do. Have been wearing a shin sleeve when I'm up and thought it was helping but now I'm hurting in places thT I didn't hurt before????? Very very frustrating . I am almost 8 weeks out and feel worse now then 3 weeks ago. Wish I knew if this was normal because it doesn't feel like it. OS says he thinks stress fracture from the implant, other doctor thinks its nerve pain and wants me to start Lyrica. Both physicians work side by side for pain management, so not sure where to go from here .waiting from call back from OS. The knee itself is relatively ok, swelling, soreness etc. but now the whole darn leg is involved
Just not sure where to go from here, keep saying it will get better with time but so far that is not happening!
 
DebR you have had a rough go my thoughts are with you. I cant find a thread for you or i would write on yours. I hope someone sends this to Josephine to get her experience on this. I dont know how to do that either Dont give up if their not giving you an answer that sounds right in your gut get another opinion if that is possible with your insurance. Keep me posted:angel: heres an angel for you
 
I went to my PT today and wondered if anyone else had them do this- she put a foam roller on the floor and wanted me to kneel with my new knee on it and roll:scratch:. I did it for a minute but it did not seem right. thanks to this site i had the nerve to say no im not doing that
 
Hi, had a wonderful call from my OS's office manager. She is wonderful! Going to speak to my OS and call me tomorrow regarding some options. May begin lyrica to see if this will help with the shin pain and burning. She said we will work as a team to meet head on any problems I may be having, and figure out what to do. This is more comforting then you can know! I will have a few tests done, get in to see another physician that will help to deal with any bone / osteoporosis issues and find a way to speed along bone healing. The compassion was incredible . She said they do not want me uncomfortable and will do anything to find out what is causing this.
How refreshing! When I read on here how many OS's kind of blow you off after a certain amount of time (I am 8'weeks out today) if is great to know that this will not be the case. I can't imagine that they want you to kneel, really ???? Glad you spoke up I think it was definitely the right move :)
 
Just to put in a good word for Lyrica . . . My son developed trigeminal neuralgia (within the context of an undiagnosed neurological illness). He was put on Lyrica and it has been wonderful. The one side effect he notices is that it makes him tired, which is good because he is sleeping so much better.
 
Hi DebR thats great news! I am really not happy with my PT right now my knee hurts more than it has in weeks. She is not my usual PT, I am ticked!!what a stupid thing to do she said you want to kneel dont you ?NO! especially not at 9 weeks . I never kneel on my other one. All my weight was on that knee 160 lbs!!
Glad your son got relief maryo52 that is very painful
 
ok some spell check changed my word I am not drunk what i wrote was another word for mad that starts with a P
 
kneewords , the thought of kneeling right now makes me nauseous, hahaha!! Can't even imagine. I haven't been to PT in over2 weeks because of the shin pain but you know what? Not missing it. Since I am working about 4-5 hrs a day i let that be my PT, as was said by Josephine and many others on here. My ROM has not suffered, although I don't check it because it really doesn't matter to me. I can bend it pretty well & get around so figure it will only get better with time.
maryo52, thank you for the info on lyrica! Since nothing else is touching this think it may be worth giving it a try. I am just waiting for the go ahead from my OS today. I wanted to get it started over the weekend when I'm not working because the doctor said I may be very tired in the beginning. Does that mean a night sleep ??? I'll take it, haha.
 
Good plan about starting it on the weekend. Accordingly to my, yes, it means sleep. He was a little sleepy during the day at first, slept good at night, experienced benefits in 2-3 days. The original dose made a big difference but the doc increased it later.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom