TKR 6 months and leg pain gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to my OS for my 6 week check up, xrays were taken and all is well.

I don't know if this is a common practice but when I see the surgeon it is a 3 minute visit. They breeze in and you have to trap them to even ask a question. The doctor I saw today was not my surgeon but he is in the practice and I have seen him before .

I told him about my pain and reluctance to take Tramadol and could i get Norco because that does seem to work, he told me I would have to ask my surgeon!! I know there is a lot of controversy about pain meds but with such a painful surgery i believe that is what they are for.

He was in and out so quick. I wanted to ask about driving and forgot. He did not look at the incision and did not even touch my knee. REALLY??? I was relieved my implant was good but am really bummed when I think about just being dismissed like that.

Thankfully my GP will take time to listen so I have her. I tried to take another Tramadol and get over my fear and it didn't really help with the pain and made me itch so I guess I have to stick to my Tylenol 4. Had to vent .

Is this the future ? Does anyone else have this kind of surgeon? BTW my surgeon is the same way - even worse - as far as time spent with the person.:headbang:
 
You're describing the typical orthopedic surgeon: poor bedside manner, and they steel themselves to our complaints of pain because they hear it all day long. They are also bouncing between appointments and surgery, and if they prefer surgery, they will make the appointments as short as possible. They know TKR patients are 100% wrapped up in their misery and so they do their best, or at least some of them, to not engage. And BTW that's BS about the pain needing to be addressed by the other doc. The one who saw you had an ethical obligation to respond. This is why many of us go to our PCP (GP) for our pain management. Have you tried that? No, you don't give up. But you have to think of ways of inserting yourself more strongly into their day and getting your needs addressed, even if it means exaggerating the impact on your life ("I can't sleep" OR "Well I guess I'll have to stop PT because it's too painful."
 
Hi yes i did go to my GP about a week ago and she is wonderful she even called me the day after my appt because i broke down crying in my appt when she asked me about me knee. However that means i have to get another appt and another 40 dollar copay. I get what you say about the doctors but that is what they signed up for i think its horrible -they could spend a few minutes no?
Well i felt like a drug addict begging for drugs yesterday and am just going to tough it out with what i have . Maybe my surgeon will call in the Norco but that usually takes days and its getting old. Right after my surgery my prescriptions were for 40 pills that didnt even last a week at that time and i had to call every week to get some medical assistant to call in the prescription and hope that they would get to me before the weekend and i wouldnt run out. i was told that was all she could do.
on a brighter note the pain is getting better and when it starts up i stop what im doing thank God for TV and the internet
 
Good to hear your pain is improving a bit. You're right--the tv--and ice and elevation--are your friends right now. :)
 
Well i felt like a drug addict begging for drugs yesterday and am just going to tough it out with what i have . Maybe my surgeon will call in the Norco but that usually takes days and its getting old. Right after my surgery my prescriptions were for 40 pills that didn't even last a week at that time and i had to call every week to get some medical assistant to call in the prescription and hope that they would get to me before the weekend and i wouldnt run out. i was told that was all she could do.
Since you are only 6 weeks out, you need pain meds for another 6 weeks at least. Don't let them guilt you like this. You need them for the right reasons and shouldn't even think of addiction. You also need to phone earlier for your refill if that's how it is. And if your surgeon's office is so unobliging, try your GP. Often they are more helpful than the other place.

Did you read all the articles I left for you in my last post? (post #8) If not, please go back and read them. From what you've said here, it's evident you haven't read them and therefore missed out on the article about myth busting addiction - amongst other things. Since I cannot keep typing all this information in every thread I go to, I have to leave links and trust that people will read them. Seriously, I think you will benefit hugely from dong that. (Though apologies if you already have!)
 
Hi Josephine, thank you, I have read most of them. I did read the one about pain med addiction. I guess it's just so ingrained in my head! And then when I finally get the nerve to ask for what I need I get an answer like that!

BTW the Dr I saw is an OS in fact he gave me my last round of Orthovisc, I don't know why I got an answer like that. My surgeon appears to be very skilled he did my first knee 8 years ago and it turned out great and he was recommended by several local doctors. I even asked them if they were having TKR who would they have and they picked my OS. But they seem to be lacking in compassion we are not just bones to be sawed on.

In 2 weeks I have to go on a rather long road trip (6 hours each way) to a baby shower and am planning to NOT be in pain! I am going to get with my GP. Also I hope in 2 weeks I will be better. I read the article on what we should be doing and am being easier on my poor knee. Still get pains in the ankle and shin area. I think the ligaments must be stretching. I elevate and ice is my best friend.

Thanks Kneeper for the post

I cant believe he didn't even look at it too or touch it. I guess if it's anchored its good. I have tried to just deal with all the changes we go thru. I think everyone is sick of hearing me whine although they say they're not. When is saw my GP I just broke down. She is wonderful. Then I held together enough to get through the office and got in my car and SOBBED :cry:
 
This is a roller coaster, that's for sure. And the medical system is a mess. And baby showers shouldn't be 6 hours away.
 
I did it! I went to my GP today and she switched me back to Norco. ( didnt have to beg i just spoke to the receptionist and she talked to the dr for me so i saved a 40$ copay, yay celebrate amazon here i come)I dont know what i was thinking trying to figure out how to struggle thru when i could really take something is strong enough to work. Last night was the turning point after taking tylenol 4 ibuprofen more tylenol 4 not sleeping trying herbal sleep aid for the first time still dont know if that worked or not, im guessing not,and when i finally fell asleep at 330 am woke up to a cat serenade under my bedroom window my cat was fighting outside, hes usually inside. Hope tonite is a better night for all of us who cant sleep:sleep:
thanks for giving me the nerve not to give up
 
Kneewords, I am so appalled at the Doc that came in to see you and then saying, you need to talk to your OS. You should have stayed in the room until he showed up. If you don't leave the room, it stops up the works and then they have to deal with you!! I tried this and it worked quite well. The nurse was a little nasty, but the doc told me I need to call next time. I told him that when I make an appt with him, I expect to see him not some dope who can't ever write a script.
 
They werent there at the same time i would have a long wait hehe.The state of our medical system baffles me. My OS is in a practice with another OS (who for some reason is doing my followups I think the appointment girl just randomly gave me the wrong surgeon) and he is only in this office 1 day a week they are in 3 different offices in LA county and do the sportsmedicine for several colleges and also the local baseball farm team and like Maryo52 said they just like the surgery part. I can see they just rush from patient to patient. I think they have hundreds of patients or at least it seems like it. the day of my surgery he did 4 TKRs and the month before ( he only operates up here 1 day a month) he did 8 surgeries in the one day. sounds like a lot to me!
When he did my LTKR 8 years ago he seemed to spend more time with me but i think they need a limit of patients or something. But then if there was a limit someone would end up with one of the bad surgeons and there are a lot of them locally i have heard so many horror stories. I am in the Antelope Valley and it is not exactly a garden spot.

From reading other posts i assumed he would check my ROM maybe feel the implant or something! i still dont know when i should think about driving. with my other knee you just had to drag it in the car unless you had a clutch Im a little leery of trying even (of course i know to be off meds to drive). My PT told me the doctor is the one that clears you to drive Hmmmm
 
I hate to sound like I always complain about my OS i would pick him over anyone else just wish they would spend a little more time
 
My doc never even mentioned driving---I had to go to pt so on day 7, I drove there. Now, I do live in a small town and it was only 10 min away and i don't drive on big highways---I don't think Montana has too many of those!!

No HAS to clear you to drive. There are not requirements, but you can be picked up for substances if you drive while taking opiods. Your pt did not want to tell you to drive because of the liability issue. Check with your Os's office if you need more advice---just ask for the nurse, I am sure she will tell you what he recommends.
 
Good to hear you are getting some help from your GP's office.
 
I could barely walk to the bathroom on day 7, I guess Ill know when its ok to drive go with your gut I always say. and yes for sure not going to be medicated. I have to say since I went back to norco I am much more positive nice not to have those pains and have a better attitude. I feel a little slow though, Ill just think of myself as mellow:)
 
woke up this morning with usual achy stiffness but after i got up and around i had NO PAIN!! 7 1/2 weeks. theres is a light at the end of the tunnel and its not a train
 
Well the pain is back. I didn't think it would stay away now it is behind my knee and on the outside area of my knee and the inside of my ankle. Outside the knee area feels crunchy. Don't know how else to explain it. I guess it's the implant grinding against flesh. Taking my pain meds though and will see where it moves to next. Also getting itching on the inside lower leg area - maybe healing?

It's 8 weeks already! I feel like a slug whenever I think I need to stop I sit on the recliner and rest which is a lot it seems like. I guess someday I'll look back on this and laugh hysterically. Not having any specific problems, my heart goes out to the BS that are having those. This is a tough surgery:mcoffee:
 
Oh all those random aches and pains. They happen without any rhyme or reason. I can't even remember which I had, just that I worried about each one and yet they are non-issues. This is simply a very difficult recovery. If you had even a small window pain free after getting up, that's like the dove with the olive branch, isn't it?
 
Yes it was so nice to have a glimpse of the future and to know it's possible to have not pain. Hang in there everyone.

My PT told me the OS HAS to clear you to drive, maybe because it's California or something. So I called and left a message with a medical assistant - that's all you can do. At my next appt I will be 3 months and I'm sure he'll clear me then.

PT today said the weird crunching is not the implant, it's tendons rubbing across bone or something. Not a problem with the implant. And I have a lot of swelling under the knee cap. I had a patellar button so don't know if that's why he put some tape on it so it would drain towards my upper leg (?)

And of course after all that, had to get a treat :flwrysmile:

Berry Star yay! 8 years ago I had my first TKR and honestly don't remember all these pains. Like everyone, says it's like childbirth. We're birthin a knee!! and these are our labor pains!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom