TKR 6 months and leg pain gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amen sister ! I'd take his day off and drive his bitchin car! Oh yea that hurts too ****
 
Josephine can i ask your advice on this: I have resorted to being my own doctor. i have had ongoing calf and inner leg pain down to the ankle and of course went on the internet.
someone who posted on my thread mentioned the gastric muscle so i looked it up. here is my story; about a month before my TKR i felt a pain in my calf and a big round bruise showed up slightly higher than the middle of my calf also orange peel looking skin (pitted). it hurt and of course i thought DVT and went to my doctor saw a PA who said it was nothing. guess she missed that class in med school.
it took a long time for the bruise to heal and it has never really stopped hurting. When i saw my OS he said i had tenosynovitis after a brief glance in the direction of my leg. and my TKR was soon so i didn't want to make waves.

:hissy: anyway now I'm starting to think i tore my calf muscle and have been dealing with it ever since could this be possible. if so what should i do? i know on line it said rest and NSAIDs i really don't want to see ANY doctor EVER NEVER EVER again! there are times it dosent hurt but if i do any walking it starts hurting. also i wonder if it could be contributing to my knee pain. you guys are great. Im almost relieved that i found all the info especially the picture of the bruise it looked exactly like mine.
 
someone who posted on my thread mentioned the gastric muscle
That would be the gastrocnemius which some refer to as just the 'gastroc'.
now I'm starting to think i tore my calf muscle
I was thinking much the same thing. Is this in the right leg same as your recent TKR? You didn't say.

Trouble with these is they can become chronic (Pain - acute and chronic issues) and therefore very difficult to treat. I note you've not yet any medic look at this but it would be fine to get your primary care to do so. It will probably respond well to an injection of cortisone which encourages and hastens healing. And if it is the same leg, then yes indeed it can influence the knee replacement and together they produce pain everywhere.

It's been about 5 months since the accident so it's most likely done all the healing it can and you are left with tenosynovitis! Apart from pain meds like Tylenol (1,000mg up to 4 times a day) I'd suggest a TENS machine.
TENS machines for pain management.
 
Hi @Josepine it is my surgery leg. and when it happened i went to the doctor and saw a physician assistant . if i go back where do they give the cortisone shot? funny thing i didn't think i was doing that much but my leg was so valgus and i was trying to take it easy and just sew. i went to sit on my recliner and the pain started i actually thought something might have bit me but then started thinking worse things didn't want to make a big deal of it as they might not do my TKR. its almost a relief to know what it is now just what to do to heal. thanks for the reply. do you think its too late for the cortisone shot?
 
I am at 4 months yesterday and still having pain on the outside lower quadrant of the replacement ( just that area i don't think its the implant)also if i try to lift my leg while laying down sideways with the surgery leg on top i can feel a sharp stab always in the same place in that area like a ligament rolling over something maybe.

.i feel like i have been abandoned by my OS and GP and i stopped PT a while back they said oh come back if you have any questions. so i did and suddenly they had no clue about anything guess they don't want to give free advice and also said since they released me i would have to start the whole process over. well bye-bye PT place!

i did searches for others at 4 months and was wondering if i could ask you Campervan how you are doing? i found one of your threads during my search and you sound just like me the pain on the outside of the knee and radiating down the calf to the ankle and sometimes even the bottom of my foot. STILL i seem to have had this problem my whole recovery. My ROM is fine 130/0 and the pain is lessening but my lower leg always acts up with almost any activity. the pain is stabbing, burning, itching is the only way i can describe the pain that goes down my leg.
just want to add this site is great and when I'm feeling down and hurt i can read about the rest of us TKR people in the same boat and it comforts me a lot!:kittykiss:
 
Hi Josephine reread your suggestion about a tens machine. Can i just buy one of those? do you need any thing from a doctor to get one?
 
Hi @Josephine i thought it would be fun to start a new thread of " I know someone who had a knee replacement and.... heres why.. a friend called me to say she knows someone who had a knee replacement a week ago the incision is bleeding and weeping but they are ready to go back to work and they are walking LMAO!! dream on
 
[Bonesmart.org] 6 months and leg pain gone!
Hope you and yours have had a wonderful Christmas holiday with lots of family fellowship and sharing of gifts and lots of good food to eat.


I’ll be looking for you at the BoneSmart annual New Year’s Party. It’s been a very eventful year for most of us---and will be a very eventful year coming up for others of us looking forward to surgery in the new year.


Remember to bring food and drink to share---and pictures are always appreciated and loads of fun to share.


SEE YOU AT THE PARTY!!!!!
[Bonesmart.org] 6 months and leg pain gone!
bottomshollow
 
Hi all i just wanted to update and let anyone know who is having leg pain issues that I am at 6 months and my leg pain is gone. i received so much encouragement from this site that i wanted to give hope to anyone who might be having the same issues. it just took time. thanks for being here @Josephine and all. Maybe my post can be changed to 6 months and leg pain gone!
 
It is my pleasure so to do! And I am delighted to hear this great news. :happydance:
 
Hi all i just wanted to update and let anyone know who is having leg pain issues that I am at 6 months and my leg pain is gone. i received so much encouragement from this site that i wanted to give hope to anyone who might be having the same issues. it just took time. thanks for being here @Josephine and all. Maybe my post can be changed to 6 months and leg pain gone!
 
Hi all unfortunately Im back hoping for some support or just to cry to others with a tkr. At my one year appt with my OS he told me i have adhesions and IT band syndrome and I am having surgery next tuesday not arthroscopic. He didn't really say what he was going to do just " its a small incision" I almost don't want to know what he is going to do. But all my issues are still here I basically have had this same pain since after the surgery. It felt better at 6 months but was kind of downhill from there. the outer part of my right knee crunches and it feels like ligaments are rolling over the outer part of my knee. I think i had wishful thinking in my last post
 
Is the doc doing a lateral release? Sometimes, they snip the IT band to make it less tight. Or he could be removing the adhesions---that is called an "open Lysis of Adhesions". I am sorry you have had pain, I know that my knee became painful from adhesions after two years. I had my adhesions removed and took it really easy for three weeks---I did no pt at all. My doc stressed that if you stress an inflamed and swollen knee you cause the adhesions to reform.
 
He didn't say anything much. I do make a lot of scar tissue and had to have my back done twice due to scar tissue. I didn't have this with my first TKR same OS and he said i just lucked out with the first one. I asked if i did something to cause this and he said no thank goodness. the implants and kneecap are all good thank God. Im glad to hear you had a quick recovery i don't really know what to expect and even though i swore i would stay off the internet what i found there was not what i wanted to hear. I can deal with 3 weeks thanks for the reply
 
Wishing you best of luck that this procedure will help.
 
thank you for your kind words i could use them right now. i have hope all will be well finally. i have not really been out of pain since the TKR ( or before for that matter lol)
 
@maryo52 @skigirl @Dhare63 I am tagging you to hopefully get an idea what to expect. Yesterday i hd my adhesions removed and who knows what else my surgeon is not one to talk a lot. It was called Arthrotomy with adhesion removal, which i guess just means it wasn't arthroscopic.
It is now 1230 am and i am up taking a pill and back on this site feels like the TKR days. So far all he told me was take it easy for a week until my appt with him. I just wondered what you guys did. I am afraid to bend my leg and tear the incision which i cannot see and they said don't take off the bandage. And am walking straight legged. its also hard to lift my leg into bed feels like its pulling on the area i had a problem with before.
Im hoping the pain in the area i think i had adhesions in just means they were removed it was the outside half of my knee. The inside half has always been ok. Go figure! Any thing you remembered about your recovery would greatly help me thanks
 
For me, the first three/four days were horrid. I had a lot of pain and it was hard to stay ahead of it, just like after TKR. The incision from TKR was opened To access the area and they took out and replaced the spacer. They removed a lot of scar tissue all around the knee and up behind it especially. It was no fun.

Please make sure you get ice all around the entire knee. Elevate and take it very slowly. As skigirl says, exercise on a hot inflamed knee will get you more scar tissue. Control swelling, gentle stretches, and less is more.

Don't worry about the incision opening, it won't. I had a bandage over my incision for some time after and it was fine.

Here's the good news in my experience; after those first few days, things were much better. The pain started to abate and the motion I was missing started to appear. As the swelling subsides, the joint will feel better.

Please keep us posted and we will help as much as possible. You will feel better soon!

Take care,

Dawn
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom