Revision THR 55 male cyclist 2019 October Revision THR

@Corey W I skimmed through the article, and am anxious to get back to it when I have a free moment!
That makes sense about lying on your stomach- that will gently stretch your iliopsoas in it's entirety and in a gentle manner. My only advice is maybe consider building up to the 2 hours? There is another muscle that works in close relationship with the Psoas- the Quadratus Lumborum. Wouldn't want you to irritate it with a long 2 hour session.
I would suggest no more than 20- 30 minutes daily for at least 5 days then add incrementally in accordance to how you feel. It can impact other muscle groups, too- the glutes come to mind.

Just keep chanting to yourself for now: No pain ALL GAIN!!

An exerpt from the article I found interesting was some PT protocols recommended

The authors go on to use electromyography to evaluate both iliopsoas and gluteus medius muscle unit activation during a variety of common rehabilitation exercises and find that there is a continuum of muscle activation depending on the specific exercise. They divided exercises into three phases for rehabilitation following hip arthroscopy: in Phase I, the goals of rehabilitation are to ensure joint mobility and minimize muscle atrophy. They prefer exercises that minimize iliopsoas activation in this phase. Phase II progresses to muscular hip stability; however, the authors still warn that ‘caution should be exercised in cases where hip flexor tendinitis is present’.

It is important to note that the article you referenced was pertaining to recovery from hip arthroscopy and not joint replacement. There can be some differences in the recovery process, so if you decide to follow the program outlined in the article, just take things slow and pay attention to how your body reacts with the addition of any new exercise or increase in the exercise intensity.

I must say that walking is probably the best exercise you can do for a new hip. Just be sure you don't limp and are walking with a proper gait. Both are critical.

Hi Corey :wave:
Stopping by to wish you a Happy Three Month Anniversary! I wish it was better and you weren't in pain.
Hopefully the cortisone shot on Tuesday brings you relief. Let us know how it goes.
A great weekend to you!
@Corey W

@Corey W - it's good that you're giving it some time to let the muscles and tendons heal. I had a great recovery (as @Harryn1 said, I was very active in the ODIC club) and, despite a mishap at about 4 weeks, felt pretty normal by about 3 or 3 1/2 months. After that, I started developing psoas issues (I'd had some in early days so PT did not have me do any of the exercises that activated the psoas - just gentle stretching). The issue got worse and worse. As it did, I eliminated exercises and activities one by one. Walking and stairs really triggered issues (after walking a couple of miles on flat surface, I couldn't lift the foot more than 3-4 inches off the ground). They did eventually shut me down completely for several weeks and then started stretching but even that was still problematic.

I went through several different PTs and a pain management doctor that kept trying to work on my back. Finally saw a new surgeon that diagnosed it as "psoas impingement" (which matched my self-diagnosis months earlier). The cortisone shot into the psoas tendon was HEAVEN (a couple of shots into the psoas muscle in the back helped some, but not that much and not that long) but only lasted a couple of weeks. At that point, a psoas release was recommended. I had the psoas release on New Year's Eve and it has been a gamechanger. It had gotten so bad that I woke up every time I moved at night (and I'm an active sleeper).

I asked the surgeon afterwards about causes. In my case, he said the implant was a little prominent (not so much as to be outside the norm/surgeon error) and, between that and my natural anatomy (I had some psoas snapping even before THR), the tendon was rubbing against the rough exterior of the implant (think of using a cheese grater against the tendon). He said the tendon was raw and I probably would have developed the psoas issue at one point or another and the early activity had just made it come to light sooner rather than later. That may be why your surgeon is saying its not clear whether the early activity was the cause. It may have been a contributing factor, especially as to time of presentation of the problem, but it wasn't necessary the sole or even primary cause.

It's good that you backed off of activities when you started having problems. Maybe that and the cortisone shot will be enough to solve the issue for you. I hope so! Even if it does, though, keep an eye out for psoas issues in the future because you may have a structural component to this as well.

@SaraK thank you for that information. I really appreciate your story because it sounds a lot like mine. My surgeon seems to think it is not rubbing on the cup, but I feel something catching for sure. I am glad the release solved your issues. I hope I can avoid it, but if it needs to be done then the sooner the better!

Hi @Corey W I've just found your thread and and I'm sorry to read that after making amazing progress you've hit this set back (hoping it's just a temporary one).

Like you I am a keen fitness enthusiast and was glad to read the first 3/4's of your thread and the progress you made as it gave me real hope of a quick recovery to former fitness levels. There are a lot of threads out there that don't have such a positive outcome and I was hoping that's because generally when people do well they don't post compared to the ones that have issues or a slower recovery etc.

I am looking to set my surgery date for a LTHR due to AVN after a freak accident. I see you had an Anterior approach un-cemented Prosthesis....what one did you go for Ceramic-Ceramic or Ceramic on Plastic ?

Many thanks and best of luck on your recovery

David

Last edited:
@Corey W Great thank you and thanks for sharing the above. I'm watching your thread now so will be able to keep up to date with your progress etc. I'm hoping things settle down quickly for you and that you can get back out on your bike when you feel the time is right.

All the very best....

So.....Cortisone on Tuesday did little. Called the OS and he said after reviewing my x-ray he says its likely I have femoral component loosening. He said the stem has "sunk" 2-3mm into the femur. He does not think this was caused by my efforts, but how will I ever know. Next week its blood tests, MRI, and scheduling a revision surgery ASAP. I'll keep this post updated as to why the bone failed to grow into the stem. I can't do anything about it except move forward, get the revision, and approach the next recovery differently. Ill let ya'll know how it goes.

Oh my stars @Corey W
I certainly am surprised at this news and I know you were taken aback by it too.:sad:
Irregardless to why this issue came about, I certainly hope they can set you a date very soon so you can back on the recovery trail.
I'm sorry you are having to go through this but I'm sure your OS has a strategy for getting this right for you.
I'll be thinking of you and sending all the best mojo your way!!!!!:friends:

Aww, Corey, I'm so sorry.
There are stories on the forum like yours with successful outcomes. It's too bad you have to go through the process again. Please know we're here for you and will continue to follow your journey offering support and encouragement along the way. Let us know how your tests go and if you'll provide us with a surgery date once you're scheduled the info will be added to your signature. Wishing you peace through all...
@Corey W

@Corey W Oh no, so sorry to read your update. I like your attitude, though. You are right, get things rolling and get it fixed and over with. As Layla said, we are here for you and will continue to be here. Please keep us posted. Each of our recoveries takes a team effort.. our families, friends and Bonesmart! At least that's how I got through them.

@Corey W so sorry to read you need a revision. I guess it's better to get it done ASAP and put it behind you. Please keep us updated!

:wave: @Corey W
Sure hope you have been keeping yourself healthy and babying that hip until you can get word on a surgery date.
Please do let us know...you will have a cheering section on the ready when the time comes.

My revision surgery is set for Oct 15th. I am planning on out patient if all goes well. The new stem will be significantly longer than my original so this surgery will need to be posterior approach.
My recovery should be about the same so I hope to be back in action 6-8 weeks after. Please no need to send me the recovery links....I'm well versed. I have found a way to get my cardio! I "pedal" the sci-fit arm machine at the club! 1570707976662.png I have worked up to 5 miles in about 45 minutes and have incorporated Tabata and other interval training to get completely breathless. It took a while to build up my arm endurance but Im getting my sweat on! During my last meeting with the surgeon he said "It can be argued that I put in too small of a stem" it has now sunk 8.5mm into the femur since surgery. All I can do is move forward, get this fixed, and get back in action. I'll keep this forum updated. Thanks to all for your support!

Hello Corey,
I'm happy to hear your surgery is soon so you're able to move forward.
All the best to you on Tuesday. Please do stay in touch so we can follow your next Recovery which I hope will be a better experience. Wishing you comfort as you wait.
@Corey W

So glad the date is soon!
Please try not to set recovery milestones beforehand as that is your nature...to exceed expectations.
You can be a phenomenal person, that simply can't be in complete control of your recovery timeline.
I want this to be the beginning of the end of your hip recovery.
Start practicing flexing your patience muscle now.
Good mojo coming your way, my friend

Last edited:
Oh boy! Thats just next week! I'm glad they aren't making you wait. Wow, "maybe put in a too small stem." Well, we need to remember that our doctors are human, but I'm so sorry.

I like your alternative to cycling.. I've used that in PT for upper arm and upper body strengthening when rehabbing my neck and shoulder. It can feel pretty intense.. and you are already up to 45 minutes, no surprise, actually. :heehee:.
I understand, though. It's very important to you to stay in good condition.

Your recovery will be very interesting to follow and I wish you the very best on Tuesday.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back