Revision THR 55 male cyclist 2019 October Revision THR

@Mojo333 Thanks for the mojo and positive vibes. They must have worked cuz I turned the corner on the pain today (no I did not head out and ride @Layla !) Went to the gym to lift and walked a mile and later in the day i felt a release in my inner thigh, almost as if a tendon or ligament moved back into place relieving the pain (psoas?) I feel like I can ride 50 miles today, but I iced and elevated instead cuz you guys, my Dr., My friends, and my wife finally got through to me! I plan on taking at least 2 more days off...seriously. Thanks for the support my hipster peeps-nothing but love for y'all!
 
Good to hear, you are like the EverReady Bunny.. glad you are holding back for a couple more days, maybe even three or four? @Corey W
 
@Corey W, congratulations for slowing down a bit. This truly is a recovery that pushing harder does nothing but slow you down. Literally. This is recovery that cannot be sped up. That's an odd concept for people who love to exercise ... and who are used pushing past pain ... in order to get in shape. But it's literally true ...

You cannot speed up this recovery, but you very well can slow it down it by doing too much.
 
@CricketHip I definitely will try, the weekends are the hardest. @Going4fun I hear ya man, I just want to be back in action so bad it gets depressing. This recovery is all over the place and I can't tell from day to day what to expect. You make a good point about being used to pushing past the pain, its part of exercise that compels us to dig deep, but right now the pain has a mind of its own. I can't wait for the day I wake up and forget about this :censored: hip.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
you will forget, they become the forgotten body part, as long as you let them heal.
I understand about the weekends, consider this an exercise for your patience muscle.
 
@Corey W, see if you can avoid evaluating day to day ... and instead do it week to week. Day-to-day can drive you nuts. Frankly when I look back ... month to month seems an even better time period, but that's unrealistic for folks who understandably want a sense that they are recovering well.
 
spoke with the OS today B4 ride and he encouraged rest/ice/aleve for 2 weeks. No ride :( gonna listen for a few more days :)

Hi Corey,
I hope you've had a good weekend.
I'm really curious as to why you won't take your surgeon's advice and stay off the bike for the two weeks he's recommending? What if you continue at this pace and develop chronic pain issues that take you away from cycling all together? Why take the chance? Please help me understand...
Hoping you'll reconsider.
@Corey W
 
@Layla Today marks 8 days off the bike. I'm listening to the Dr. Meanwhile I'm getting depressed, gaining weight, and still having nerve pain in the hip. Having been an endurance athlete as little as 18 months ago to now sitting in a recliner all weekend may be as mentally challenging a task I've ever faced. I am a deprived endorphin junkee...so to answer your question I guess its the same as a drug addict who knows its bad but does it anyways. I'm going to stay off for 6 more days and rest/ice/IB as prescribed.
 
I'm sorry you are hurting and feeling dumpy.
Delayed post op blues along with endorphin withdrawal:gaah:
Lots of well wishes and sympathy while you are in Time Out, @Corey W :console2:
All temporary...so you can get back on the road!:biking:
 
I can relate, I’ve been doing PT n going to the gym n my hip is doing good but somehow I hurt my shoulder. The scapula, shoulder blade is aching, hurts more than the hip did. So I understand the sitting around, the restlessness, one thing I learned from the hip is this to shall pass. So continue relaxing n you will get better.
 
one thing I learned from the hip is this to shall pass. So continue relaxing n you will get better.

Thank you for sharing that @Marvin L And I can attest to the fact that Marvin struggled with that concept initially but it did finally sink in.

Corey, I'm sorry you're struggling. Truly I am. I'm trying to look at it in light of the way you've described yourself as an adrenaline junkie. I'm sure you're in great physical condition and even if you do gain a few lbs, you will lose it. As difficult as it seems, try to look at this time out as an investment in your future. You need to get this right so it doesn't become a series of starts and stops due to continually overdoing it. You will get there, but it takes patience. We're here for you when you're feeling like this > :gaah:
Hope today brings you some peace. :)
@Corey W
 
@Marvin L So I also have a slap tear on my right rotator cuff from a bike crash that happened literally 10 days before THR. I did the same on my left shoulder 3 years ago (bike crash) and it took 18 months and 3 cortisone shots to get back. Right now I haven't benched in 3 months! I limp around the gym like a lost soul watching all my peeps get their sweat on. I work from home so the gym is my social outlet and I hang out with some die-hards like you and me. Everyone including my riding buds are sympathetic to my plight, but meanwhile they are getting it done. @Layla - I do appreciate the advice truly. I have said I will listen to my body and right now its saying ENOUGH! I hope to heck I didn't loosen the stem or cup with my early escapades. I highly doubt it, but in 6 more days if the pain doesn't go away its back to the OS for some x-rays. Till then enough of my whining! All iced up as I type this and no way I can crash sitting in this recliner!
 
Glad you are assuming the position:ice: and I'm guessing that soft tissue is complaining and this can get back on track.
I felt better with reassuring 6 month xrays so :fingersx: for all good.
 
3 month update a couple days early. Saw the OS today since after 2 weeks I was still in pain. I'm getting a cortisone shot in the Psoas bursa next Tuesday to see if can calm down the pain. Have not ridden in 2 1/2 weeks and he asked me to stay off for 2 more weeks. not happy
 
I'm sorry to read this. I know it's important to you to stay active. You'll get through this. Soon it will be a bad memory!
I don't mean this as a negative reflection on you but your thread will be good for other high level athletes who want to get "right back at it."
You honestly thought you could handle it, and you did for a while.. I commend you for coming back to tell the story. You will help many others.. For that, I respect you... a lot!
What can you do in the interim? Can you do things to your bikes? Like rehab something on them to keep your mind busy?
My husband had open heart surgery last winter, they told him he couldn't lift anything or press down with his hands, which affected his hobby and I still remember the look on his face when they told him his limits. I think it was for 3 months with the first 6-8 weeks being the most important. He got through it but hated every second of it! Which also made it hard on me.. haha truth!
So I can empathize.. :console2:
 
@CricketHip thanks for the kind words. I do hope this encourages other athletes to respect the wisdom of the folks on this forum. Its been a great resource and helped me quite a bit. My bonesmart friend and fellow hammer head @Harryn1 warned me early on that he tried to return too fast and had the psoas shut him down, but I thought "won't happen to me". Wrong. As an athlete with bone on bone OA you get used to coping with pain and pushing through. My surgeon still remains very vague on how much activity is too much during early recovery and he seems to think this would have cropped up even without my riding. I think he may be wrong @Josephine !!!
I came along this excellent recent article:
https://academic.oup.com/jhps/article/5/4/362/5259348
This sample group had a 24% of thr patients experience tendonitis in the psoas. 88% of them were treated successfully without release surgery. The article outlines a very specific PT plan week by week that I am going to follow after I get my cortisone shot. Interestingly lying on your stomach for 2 hours a day is part of the protocol. I will follow up in a month to let you know how everything works out. Thanks again for the support!
 
@Corey W thank you for posting the research article. I think it will be of interest to @SaraK (chair and Hon life member of the ODIC) and to @Jws. And @toughstuff .

Wishing you good luck for the cortisone shot. Keep us posted. I hope it resolves the issue quickly, without the need for any further intervention.
 
Corey, I'm truly sorry you're dealing with this setback. I admire your honesty in documenting the truth. Many would simply retreat and we'd be none the wiser. In sharing, you may help another that has your level of ambition to "get on with it" to take things slow.

Sadly, some learn the hard way that there is no rushing this recovery. The body does miraculously heals itself, but we do need to help it along by respecting that process through some TLC.
With any luck, you're not sidelined for too long. I hope that you'll slowly ease back into things once your surgeon gives you the green light. I know it's difficult for you to sit still, but get it right now and enjoy life as you choose, or keep tempting fate and develop chronic issues that may follow you indefinitely.

FYI - Josephine is away from the forum recovering from her knee Revision surgery so she may not see your tag for some time. I'll venture a guess on her thoughts re: your surgeon's opinion...I believe she'd disagree with him and say over activity, too soon, is what landed you in the ODIC. If I'm wrong...she'll correct me later.

Wishing you comfort, patience and a feeling of peace as you're healing.
@Corey W
 
I'm sorry that you are "on restriction" still...but we want these to be hopefully happy ever after forever hips ...so the time it takes is worth it in the long run (or long ride, in your case)
Hope the injection brings you some relief from the discomfort.
Assume the position (on your tummy, I suppose) and remember
When you are icing and elevating and watching telly you are not 'dossing around' you are 'engaging a carefully considered proactively designed heuristically programmed dynamically structured recovery programme'.
 
Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom