Guest viewing is limited

TKR 54andfighting Has A New Knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
@54andfighting Hubby has already lost weight because of the narcotics. The walking could help us both! He is on diclofenac for the rest of his joints, it seems to help. Best of luck with yours.
 
@tiredwife, the narcotics helped me last time too, on the losing weight part...I actually lost 15 much needed lbs since first surgery! I was nauseated in the mornings and really nothing appealed. This time, not so much, which is good (happy not to be nauseated) and bad (eating more). I am watching my eating closely, I'd like another 10-15 to be gone in the next three months! Focusing on protein for good post op healing and not "treating" myself with food. I'm betting there's no calorie burn for being on the CPM...

I, too was on Diclofenac at as well for a long time and then the last 2 years Cymbalta. The Cymbalta really helped my knees, they got much worse when I had to go off it. Interestingly, the feet popped up as issues only in the last 2 years , often worse than knees and NOTHING helped. Walking for exercise was a no-go, thus the purchase of a recumbent bike. I have custom inserts, prescription creme, you name it.
I'd like not to be on anything if at all possible, I think the needs tended to be a part of the weight gain (or inability to lose) thing as well. Well, along with less activity due to chronic pain! And my age! Geeze. So the BIG PLAN does include the weight loss so as to hopefully get the midfoot issue under control. I'm really not up for more surgery, that's for sure.

And @Jane B. I am thinking your well wishes were heard loud and clear, you seem to be my good luck charm!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It is interesting, 54, that the people on the forum are not simply "knees" with issues. If we have arthritis, it's going to affect other parts of our bodies. I have arthritis in joints I don't even remember the name of!

I am slow to heal from any muscle pull or injury. I'm really good at making tendonitis and bursitis, as my father and grandmother were, so I have to start any exercise project very, very slowly. PT's don't really get it, but too bad.

Weight is an issue for most of us in middle age. I was "lucky". After carrying around a bunch of weight I didn't need, and couldn't seem to get rid of, my medical student son brought home a pediatric virus. We both were sick for weeks and weeks. I lost twenty pounds. Not a diet I'd recommend!
 
@54andfighting I hope the docs find something to help your feet. Hubby had heal spurs, and calcification of his Achilles tendon, he said the ankle surgery was worse than TKR. He has arthritis in all his joints, so he will be on something all his life for joint pain. I have it too, but not near as bad as his. I got my first steroid injection in my shoulder last Friday. He has had injections, clean out surgeries, etc. for a long time now. Getting older with arthritis isn't fun.
 
Thought I'd do a "year end" post, as many are doing, great idea! So...let's see...left knee is 6 months out, right knee 3 months. I am in physical therapy, this time with an approach of "the rest of my life", not just rehabbing a knee. My newest knee has been a little problematic in the straightening part. I've been working hard on that an am making good progress. I am doing indoor stationary bike, leg weights, squats (no crunching knee sounds, yay for that!!), walking, planks, upper body stuff and next week plan to get outside on a bike for the first time.
I still have a goal to lose ten more pounds (well, perhaps fifteen after the holidays lol)...and am hoping that an increased activity level will help me break my stubborn plateau.
Had a couple very short trips during this month, New York City and just this week, Miami Beach. Both involved several hours of city walking (yes, I wore cute shoes not sneakers) and it was hard, and I had to rest frequently then just had to stop and head to the hotel and watch tv in bed. I can absolutely see why it is said you won't be normal for a year ...
I'm having to be watchful of my old bad habits, like going down sideways on the stairs, and being aware of good form and proper alignment. It's amazing how I compensated for the bad knees.
Overall, I'm on my way, glad to have done it, still hoping my midfoot arthritis in my feet will cooperate and not bother me as I progress...and I'll let you all know when I stand up paddle board for my first time!!! Planning a trip next fall to Paris, hoping I will certainly be well enough and rehabbed enough to do all the wonderful walking required there.
Happy New Year to all, may it be a healthy and happy one!!!
 
A few more things I thought of...I did not have a CPM with the first knee due to a communication issue, and did with the second. I would have to say it helped greatly with the flexion, but actually not so much with extension. I Think I neglected my exercises a bit because the flexion was so good, and got in trouble on the extension part. I've been doing some remedial work on that and am progressing well.

I also tried accupuncture this time. I do believe it helped me get off pain meds faster. I did about 8 sessions.

My C Reactive protein (inflammation marker in blood) is back to normal!! So the supplements, diet changes etc that I described early on in my post are all definitely working.

And last, I changed outpatient PT companies. I felt like I was an assembly line person the first go round. I'm at a smaller, more personal place now and like it much better. They listen, tailor the therapy and do a good job teaching me and correcting me. And, I even get a good massage :)
 
Well. Some "hmmmm" items on the new knees. My kneecaps have started to go "thunk" as I get up from sitting and also on the out part of my stride....winter? Wierd! PT says strengthening needed. I'm going twice a week. And, the tendons hurts behind my knees when I roll over in bed with legs bent, also noticed it when I was dancing (yay for the dancing!!!) at a wedding this weekend. Mostly on my older knee, which is 7 months out. Wonder if I have aggravated some tendons or something with the PT?? Anyone have similar things ???
 
It's possible you overdid a little bit. What are you doing for strengthening?
 
Let's see.. Squats (now with 4lb weights in each hand), step up and touch downs on a "STEP", mimicking stairs up and down with just touching the toe in back or heel in front, weighted leg press, the usual leg lifts with ankle weights in various positions, I also scoot around on a stool using legs forward and backwards, lunges in place, no weights. I also walk outside and ride my indoor bike. I walked yesterday but took it easy today, still pretty painful to lift that bent leg while laying sideways up, area right behind the knee, unless I tense the whole leg up. A normal roll over in bed hurts! Appreciate any tips or insights, kneeper!
 
Hmm. Well behind my knee was like that early on but I'd say was pretty much gone by 4-5 months. Maybe give it a few days of tlc and ice. I'll also tag @Jamie and @Celle to see if they have any thoughts.
 
I would suggest stopping the weight bearing exercises for a week or so and see if the pain stops. It could be that you're pushing a bit too hard, especially for your newest knee. As kneeper suggested, apply some ice and TLC in this time period too.
 
I agree. I'd stop all the exercises that involve weights. Your legs will get stronger as you continue to use them, even without added training.
 
Well, a MAJOR ACCOMPLISHMENT AND GOAL REACHED!!! I learned how to stand up paddleboard this week!!! I have wanted to do that for 6 years, ever since I saw a paddleboarder in California on the ocean during a trip there....so, during a trip to Florida last week, thanks to calm seas, new knees and a friend who brought their SUP along, I DID IT!!! Best part, on the second day, I had a dolphin join me for a bit. It was awesome!! Triumphant photo is attached!!

I won't say my knees are perfect yet ... but my functionality, at 11 and 8 months, respectively, is about at 95%. No more walking sideways down the steps, or hauling myself up them using the handrail, no more avoiding gardening: as a matter of fact, a month ago I planted about 75 plants, hauling them down three flights of deck stairs! I am still sore and achy at night in varying degrees, like last week at the beach when I SUP'd, rode 8 miles on a bike and walked about 6 miles all in one day...LOL :snork:

With my newfound increase in activity, I have lost about 20 lbs since my first surgery, ideally, 10 more to go.

So happy and thankful to have myself back again!!! :egypdance: :cool: :flwrysmile:
I send much encouragement to all those still in the throes of recovery!!!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] 54andfighting Has A New Knee
    image.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 179
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom