TKR 54andfighting Has A New Knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all! One month post op yesterday!!! This will be my last week of in-home physical therapy, I will transition to outpatient next week. A bit worried how I will juggle that with darned rush hour in Atlanta that ends at 10am and starts at 3pm and working part-part time. My first OS post op appt scheduled for the end of this week.

Feel like I'm pretty much in a routine, the usual exercise-bike or walk-ice-elevate, repeat. Haven't been able to reduce my pain meds any further, I'm still taking a half Percocet every 4 hours or so plus Advil twice a day. The OS was reluctant to extend my prescription, but he did. I feel like I'm being a baby but heck, it still does hurt...as does the OTHER knee more and more now that I'm more active!!! Grrrr!!! I have a competition going here...and not a good one! Swelling is up and (a little) down, which means my gait is either very slow or slow lol. I'm sure there is progress being made, I am much easier on the bike now, 20 mins last night, level 2, but the walking seems varying degrees of stiff still with occasional breakthroughs of not-so-stiff. I'll be interested to see when my next knee surgery gets scheduled. Late September?

I was going to try out the neighborhood pool this past weekend, since my incision is now completely healed, and what the heck!! All it did was rain, rain, rain. We haven't had rain in a month!! And now the water is COLD. Darn. I'll be going to a Lake in TN this weekend for my husband's family reunion, perhaps I can get in the water there. I will be on a pontoon boat. But have ruled out hanging out in the ski boat, my usual position, taking pictures of our (now grown) kids and their cousins on tubes and skis and wake boarding :( too bumpy and the transfer on and off board seems more than daunting. No need to risk that!!!

Hope everyone is getting better, a bit at a time, day by day!
 
Saw OS last Friday, and scheduled the next knee surgery for September 30 :bolt:
He was very happy with my progress, I was complaining about it lol. Mostly about the swelling and tight feeling when walking...however, following a weekend in Knoxville at Norris Lake at a family reunion, and I feel have made major strides!!!
1) forced to sleep in a real bed, no couch, and felt good
2) maneuvered my way off and on a pontoon and ski boat successfully (zero points on graceful) ... Contrary to my prior post, I realized the ladder off the pontoon boat was able to be done, and the platform off the ski boat was, while more difficult due to my lack of upper body strength, able to be done with a little help. Yippee!
3) had a wonderful time paddling around in the water with a noodle keeping me afloat
4) was able to partake in my favorite activity, being the official photographer and social media poster for the event :) took some great shots of all our 20 something "kids" tubing, cliff jumping (eek!!) etc.
5) got back a little color and some Vitamin D
And of course, a change of scenery and hanging out with family always does me good. Yay for that, alone!!

My husband this morning commented my walking is much better, and I would agree. I do believe the swelling has taken a turn, for the better.
Today I start outpatient Physical Therapy. I asked for a therapist that did great knee massage and one that would not make me cry (seriously, I did!). We will see how that worked.....
 
@tiredwife, good news on the PT front...had a very reasonable therapy session, I will only go for six visits, and need only get ten degrees improvement, yippee. I'm thinking there IS a light at the end of the tunnel??!!
 
@54andfighting Glad for you! Hubby's PT didn't tell him any set goal, they don't seem to worry too much about ROM, just worry more about if he could do different things. You will do fine, but make sure you still do exercises on your own.
 
@tiredwife, aren't you gearing up for Round Two for your hubby?? Coming pretty soon!? Are you two taking advantage of filling the time between now and then? Is he all "back to normal" per se, ready to stress out the new knee taking care of the activity level for the newEST knee?? I know I'll need to work on strength for that, too...absolutely need to keep up the exercises and exercising. I'm still not good on stairs, that's one of the (my) major goals for outpatient therapy from a functional standpoint.
 
@54andfighting 2nd knee is the 6th, he will be 10 weeks out from knee #1. In PT he worked both legs to get he old knee leg ready for surgery. His old knee leg is hurting a lot, he is ready to get it fixed. I think his new knee is okay enough to hold up the other one. He walks up and down stairs fine starting out with either leg. Better than he has in years. Only problem with the new knee is it still swells a little if he has it down for long periods, and it gets stiff (that will be the norm for a long time). We have stairs in our house so he gets lots of practice. When he starts PT for the next new knee he will also continue to exercise both legs.
 
I'm thinking there IS a light at the end of the tunnel??!!
Yes, there is---and you have had a taste of it---and things will continue to get better---in little tiny steps and sometimes a big one here or there.

[Bonesmart.org] 54andfighting Has A New Knee

Patience, Grasshopper, Patience!!
 
@54andfighting you are amazing to me. I walk around in the house with no cane, but not when I am out. And you have stopped your meds and back to work. Amazing. I have cut down my meds but not stopped yet. And definitely not working. You seem to be doing really well, but I would be cautious about overdoing. Still, congrats on your progress.
 
@Gingiebot thanks for the thumbs up!!! But do know, I am still on meds, OS changed me from a half percocet every 4 to Hydrocodone 325mg (has some acetaminophen in it), a step down he says, and it's working fine...and as for work, it's PART TIME only at present. And I try and take a nap every day and am in bed before ten usually....Don't give me TOO much credit, lol!! :heehee: I do, however, feel a fairly significant change for the better these last few days. Still bothersome stiffness and odd pains here and there inside and around the knee, swelling, still icing and elevating. I can see the contours of my knee though...which of course means I can also see the dimpling of my scar. I'm sure patience is needed there too. Still massaging with the Bio oil.

@tiredwife , are YOU ready for your hubby's surgery?!!? You have been such a great support here on line, I hope you are up for "round two" as well. Seems ten weeks is a good timeframe based on his experience. I'll be just over that. You will be posting, yes??
 
@54andfighting Yes I'm ready. Know better what is needed. I will be posting when I can. The first night I spend in the hospital with him. So if I get on line it will be quick. Probably be just quick posts the first week when he needs me most. You have a good day!
 
You're doing really well! It's great to be doing some normal activities, isn't it? :)
 
@kneeper ...it IS! So nice! Makes one feel a bit human again. The temps have blessedly fallen in Georgia as had the humidity so I'm treating myself to a lovely (long?) walk tonight. I'm sure the heat of August will have us in its grips soon. In the meantime...out the door I go!!!
 
Just a note on "comparisons in recovery" ...this past weekend we were invited to go sailing with friends of friends, I had heard the Skipper had had his knee replaced as well. As we approach the boat, and I gingerly and awkwardly get on board, stepping over lines and such, husband at the ready helping me, we discuss our surgeries. First question to him was (as I watched him scramble around the boat) "so, when did you have your knee done?" ...thinking he would say, a couple months ago or something like that.
Nope.
He says "three weeks ago"...! I am astounded. Really??!! No way!!! And to make it worse, he said he hardly took pain meds. His nerve block,lasted several days and poof he was off and running. No home PT, just outpatient. Rather disgusting!!!! I almost threw him overboard!
My point in this, while I am rather green with envy, is that CLEARLY everyone recovers differently. The last couple of weeks during my rather mundane and repetitive sessions my PT keeps saying how great I'm doing, a "ahead of the curve", I'm a "poster child" blah blah....(I was getting a bit of a fat head listening to all this lol)...until I went sailing!! Ah, well... I can only hope my next knee recovers like his, huh?

Also wanted to comment a bit about pain medicine. I have finally gone to strictly Tylenol and Aleve...I believe (am not sure) that the weaning process really affects me. I have hardly slept in two nights. Very restless, but super tired, took melatonin, repositioned hundreds of times with pillow formations out the wazoo....all to no avail. I plan to ice before I go to bed, and will see how tonight goes. As I look back on my July 17 posting, the Monday I crashed and felt awful, I realized that that was the day I stopped taking my every 12 hour narcotic and transitioned to just the Percocet. I hope I sleep well tonight, this makes two days off Vicodin, because tomorrow I fly to visit my younger sister who is recovering from a year long breast cancer journey. She now has shingles and is super depressed...was to have reconstructive surgery a couple weeks ago but had to postpone. We plan to have a fun and relaxing weekend together!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yippee yahoo and hooray!!! At the two month mark and I finally feel...well, almost NORMAL!!! I do swell a bit, off and on, and ache, but a major improvement in the last few days. Haven't needed to ice or elevate for a couple days now.

I am also, finally, sleeping in my bed through the night with only one pillow for my knee, no diversion in the middle of the night back to the couch...I'm walking well, and as such decided to take a trip to see my son in DC for the weekend, did really well..even hauled my carry on bag with me through the airport!

Am off all pain meds except Tylenol and am also taking Advil, an occasional Tramadol at night if I need it, but suddenly it seems I don't. So odd how I seem to have traipsed along in a certain recovery mode, getting a bit frustrated with a perceived lack of progress, and wham! Turn a corner just like that.

Physical therapy has been completed for two weeks, more that I was too busy with part time work and travel, I was scheduled for two more weeks. My knee is darn close to bending as well as the non-operative knee...soon that one is to be operated on...so for the next 4 weeks I'm planning lots of fun!!!

Wishing you all a speedy recovery, I'm signing off posting till my next surgery, Sept 30. Happy to have broken the learning curve and know so much better what to expect. Hope my posts have helped in some small way! And appreciate all the folks who took the time to comment or give me a thumbs up, and of course, to our moderators, for their welcome advise and guidance.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yippee yahoo and hooray!!! At the two month mark and I finally feel...well, almost NORMAL!!! I do swell a bit, off and on, and ache, but a major improvement in the last few days. Haven't needed to ice or elevate for a couple days now.
That is indeed great news!!!

Wishing you all a speedy recovery, I'm signing off posting till my next surgery, Sept 30.
Please keep coming back and posting---we look forward to reading of your continued progress prior to your upcoming surgery!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom