Guest viewing is limited

TKR 54andfighting Has A New Knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a great report!!! You are one of those lucky ones with a fairly fast recovery. More power to you and enjoy that knee!!
 
Well, I just couldn't keep silent...lol. I've been at the beach in Florida for a week now, with my sister who is recovering from breast cancer, her last hurdle, reconstruction, was done three days before we came here. She has felt better than she has in a year, and what a great idea this trip was for both of us! We have been "surf walking" every morning, our version of beach boot camp: walking in knee deep surf, against the currents. What a thigh burner! Happy to say we started with thirty minutes and are now up to an hour and a half. And when we do our beach walk at night on the dry sand, it seems like hardly any work at all. I have also been swimming in the ocean a lot. My knee feels pretty darn good, but now the non-operative knee feels worse than the operative knee. Makes me super glad I have the next surgery coming up soon! Hopefully next year I will be stand up paddle boarding here!!! One more beach boot camp walk in the morning then it's back to reality :( enjoy the photo of our evening sky tonight!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] 54andfighting Has A New Knee
    image.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 165
T minus one week until the next surgery!! I can't wait to get it DONE!!!! All continues well with recovery, I love my new knee.....
This is a wonderful report @54andfighting. I hope your second knee heals twice as fast!
Jane B, Thank you for your well wishes, gee wouldn't THAT be nice :-))
 
Reporting in! POST SURGERY!!! Deja vu.....! It's nice this go-round knowing what to expect. However, a little depressing since my three month old left knee was behaving so well! That said, the other really needed done. Had been traveling some more, was in New York City and had to do Subway stairs...ouch. Just re-confirmation surgery was definitely needed.

My right knee was replaced at 7 this morning, I just had some lunch (it's now 3PM) and a nap and thought I'd check in. They are saying perhaps I might go home tonight! That would be nice. "Drive through knee replacement" lol. Ice on knee, compression hose, the no-DVT air thing that squishes your calves is operating, and I feel pretty good, dull ache in the leg/knee but otherwise OK. Been up walking with the walker.

This time the CPM machine was delivered to me at home yesterday....last time they forgot me and since I was 5 days at home when they were to deliver, I declined. I know some docs swear by them, some don't so much. Mine wishy washy. So I will get to experience it both ways. But six hours a day? Wow.

Well I guess all for now, I'll be back!
 
Welcome to the otherside again, :welome:, glad to hear you are out of surgery and have that behind you.

The recovery articles are on page one of your thread, you will want to read them again, funny how we forget things as time passes.
Sounds like you are doing well after your surgery this morning!
Keep us posted on how you are doing.
 
Glad to hear you're done and have done a little walking!
 
I can pretty much tell you when the nerve block wore off today...OUCH OUCH OUCH at 1:30 pm !! Took some pain meds and went straight for a nap. Have been using the CPM off and on all day, maybe got in about 4 of the prescribed 6 hours. I'm not sure I like this contraption very well. My pain is staying at about level 4-6, not sure if it's related to the CPM or if I just don't have a good pain regime worked out post nerve block. I'd prefer it to stay at below a 4, ideally a 2-3. Physical Therapist comes tomorrow, I'll discuss with him. Pretty much ready to call it a day and head to bed!
 
[Bonesmart.org] 54andfighting Has A New Knee


For all you Fashionistas out there, I saw this photo on my Pinterest feed...WHO SAID WHITE POSTOPERATIVE TED HOSE WERENT FASHIONABLE??!!!

1 week post op! Siting here with the CPM on, I have found it to be ...well...relaxing? I have dozed off to sleep a few times already while using it. Maybe it's the noise it makes, kind of a white noise to me. Who knew?? My therapist is happy, I'm at 90 degrees on it, have been going up 5 every day from starting point of 60. I'm not logging hours, just do it as I can (or when I need some sleep, haha).

My incision seems to be doing well, I have internal stitches and glue. It's all bumpy and rippley, looks bad, but I know it will look better over time. My other knee incision has the whole color change thing going, one time I look at it the incision is whitish, the next time it's purple. I have been using Arnica gel all round the operative knee (not on the incision) since day 1 and nary a bruise this time! Far less swelling as well, for whatever reason.

Physical therapist did a kneecap manipulation of sorts yesterday ....if my leg was stronger I would have kicked him where it counted lol. That hurt!!! Said he broke up a few kneecap adhesions (I think I have that right) that were causing me pain in a certain spot, right behind my kneecap, with my exercises. We will see how I feel today!!! I did a nice half hour walk in the neighborhood before he came, graduated to a cane from the walker a couple days ago. The Fall weather is so wonderful just now.

Well, I must go and find a black hi-low gown on line now...gotta rock the TEDs!!
 
Well @tiredwife , THAT is what I am most looking forward to! Back to being out and about!! To that end, I have joined a gym (starting date, next month) to swim and do the elliptical, then hopefully eventually resume yoga (without everyone hearing my knees crunch and grind!) and I want to try spinning classes!! Last knee's recovery was fine with the recumbent bike at home but that got old FAST. And, of course, the other knee still hurt too. I am also hopeful that eventually my midfoot arthritis will bother me less (both feet) once both my knees are healed and my gait improves. Fingers crossed on those (long) walks, eventually....:walking:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom