PKR 4cats1home Knee Recovery

The cramping could be from the tourniquet used during surgery. If that's the case it will go away after a while.
 
Have you tried icing your thigh? If that doesn't help, try a heat bag, just on the thigh. Keep the heat well away from your knee.
 
I had some pretty intense zingers early on but that went away after about 10days. Sounds like you're on the road to recovery.
Congrats!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I still have tiny zingers in my numb area. Nothing bad, just letting me know they are there.
 
12 Days Post-Op

Feeling good. Last night I actually slept in my bed in the basement. Stairs do not seem to be a problem, I just have to remember: "Up with the good, and down with the bad."

Only used a walker for the first 2 days & stopped using cane a couple days ago. Besides PT exercises, I have been walking around my block with my husband. The first time I was starting to get tired about 3/4 of the way, but each time it gets better. Today I will be going to the store and pushing the cart for my "outing".

Next week I have a follow-up with my GP & OS (get stitches out - YAH!), Physical Therapy,a going away lunch & a retirement dinner.

Hope everyone has a great weekend and awesome next week!
 
What a wonderful recovery you are having!!

I have not left the house yet (at 2.5 weeks) but plan to walk outside a bit over the weekend. Next week I start outpatient PT and have dr appt, so I need to get some practice in!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
What a wonderful recovery you are having!!

I have not left the house yet (at 2.5 weeks) but plan to walk outside a bit over the weekend. Next week I start outpatient PT and have dr appt, so I need to get some practice in!

Thank you @JennyLynne! I'm thinking my recovery is going so well because I only had a partial compared to a total knee replacement.

I was doing PT before I left the hospital and then they set me up for 2/week thru the summer. Hoping I don't need all the sessions but will go until I get cleared to stop coming.
 
Day 15 Update: Had stitches removed today. OS was very happy with healing of incision, flexion (90) & extension (3). He told me to contact him when I feel I am ready to go back to work and he will sign my release. He suggested to wait another 1-1/2 to 2 weeks before thinking about returning to work.

At my PT session this morning, I was told that I have to work on my flexion & extension. I told my OS this and he said they both are fine and to give it time, you are still healing. Makes me wonder about the PT's intentions.
 
They want their numbers to look good for the insurance companies. Some of them really care about the patients, but unfortunately, a lot of the time it's about the money.
 
He suggested to wait another 1-1/2 to 2 weeks before thinking about returning to work.
I think that will be much too early to go backt o work. even with a Partial (PKR) it takes a full year for complete recovery. Going back to work too soon willput a strain on your new knee.
We usually recommend taking 10-12 weeks and then a Phased return to work
At my PT session this morning, I was told that I have to work on my flexion & extension. I told my OS this and he said they both are fine and to give it time, you are still healing.
Hooray for your OS! He has the right idea.
 
Day 17

[Bonesmart.org] 4cats1home Knee Recovery
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Looking really good!

Thanks @sistersinhim

Does anyone have suggestions on moistening/salving the incision area? It is very tight when I walk that it feels like it is tearing open.

Has anyone experienced very tight/cramping calf muscles on surgery leg. My calf hurts more than my knee when I get up from evelating/icing and I have to do calf stretches before I try to walk.
 
I had a lot of calf pain in the first 2 weeks. We ruled out blot clot first. It was just muscle pain. I did a lot of ankle pumps - a lot! And walking around the room. It just took a while to ease up.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yes, mam, my calf hurt terribly for about a month or more.

Swelling is probably making your incision feel like that. It was a couple of months before I worried about shaving. And all my staples holes were completely healed before putting any moisturizer on it. I like coconut oil. It makes you smell good, too!
 
Does anyone have suggestions on moistening/salving the incision area? It is very tight when I walk that it feels like it is tearing open.

Has anyone experienced very tight/cramping calf muscles on surgery leg. My calf hurts more than my knee when I get up from evelating/icing and I have to do calf stretches before I try to walk.
As soon as your incision is completely healed, with no scabs or open areas, you can use your favourite moisturising lotion, or cocoa butter, or baby oil. Don't put anything on the incision before it's healed, just in case you introduce some infection.

It's good idea to do calf stretches before you stand up. Most of us feel very stiff on first getting up, but it wears off after a few steps.
 
Wow, that's a great looking incision and you are healing very quickly! If I were you, I'd hold off on going back to work too soon. Once you open that door, it can't really be closed. Just my opinion.
 
Does anyone have suggestions on moistening/salving the incision area? It is very tight when I walk that it feels like it is tearing open.

Starting using Vitamin E Skin Oil & Plastic Wrap and my knee is feeling less tight and seems to flex better without the pulling.

Has anyone experienced very tight/cramping calf muscles on surgery leg. My calf hurts more than my knee when I get up from evelating/icing and I have to do calf stretches before I try to walk.

My calves are still super tight even after stretching. The muscle behind my knee also gets tight.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom