TKR 44 BMI, Need surgeon in NC, SC, (or beyond)

YogaWoman

Country
United States United States
I've seen several surgeons in Charlotte NC. All have said both my knees are bone on bone and need replacement. All these surgeons have turned me away due to a BMI of 44. Come back when it is 40. Gel shots no longer make any difference.
I do yoga classes online 6-7 days per week; get ultrasound treatment for pain weekly; take various antiinflammatories, prescription and OTC and natural supplements. These have helped me tolerate the pain but it has become intolerable. Daily living is a trial and my mobility is limited. BMI has improved but not down to their magic number. I'll add that my health is otherwise good- no diabetes or other issues.
I am willing to go out of state to get surgery. I'm need this done. I'd appreciate any referrals.

@YogaWoman
Welcome to Bonesmart! :welome:
I am going to tag @Jamie, she may be able to help locate a surgeon who works with patients who have a high BMI. Your being OK with going out of state will make it easier to locate someone.

In the reading below you will find an article about High BMI and finding the right surgeon.
Take the score chart in the articles so you and your surgeon can see just how limited your life has become.
Good luck in your search, keep us posted.
Chris

New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Stories of amazing knee recoveries

As you're discovering, it can be difficult to find a surgeon who will work with high BMI patients. Risks for infection or other problems can be greater for someone with a high BMI, but successful surgeries are done and your overall good health is a plus. Here are the only surgeons on my list who I believe will try and work with you. Please let us know how things go for you. If you find surgeons not on my list to consult with, please let me know about them. Your search may be more difficult, but don't give up! Please note that the surgeons listed with the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio offer virtual consultations that can make the long distance process easier.

Richmond, Indiana (on the border with Ohio)

Works with high BMI patients.

Mario Lee, M.D.
Reid Health
1400 Highland Rd, Richmond, IN 47374
(765) 935-8905
Reid Hospital Orthopedics

Patient report: "I had a TKR with Dr. Lee Feb 2019 and am very pleased with the
results. A previous surgeon refuse to consider surgery because of my
weight , but Dr Lee looked at my health not just my weight."

Cleveland, Ohio

Cleveland Clinic

Dr. Bernie Stulberg(Cleveland) - works with high BMI patients
Dr. Ken Greene(Medina/Cleveland Clinic) - works with high BMI patients

Virtual doctor appointments are available from Cleveland Clinic:
The Cleveland Clinic ortho site suggests they have a very reasonably priced virtual visit and a remote consultation review.

Virtual Visits with Orthopaedics

Select patients now can see our providers online from their home or office by using the Cleveland Clinic Express Care® Online tool. This service allows patients a fast, secure and easy way to receive care from their healthcare team in a live virtual visit using a smartphone (iPhone or Android), tablet or computer. The benefits of choosing a virtual visit include no travel or parking, less waiting, significant time savings, no facility fee and the convenience of seeing your physician from wherever you choose.

Virtual visits with an orthopedic surgeon.

New patients with common knee injuries or knee pain.

Established patients scheduling follow-up care appointments such as:

Post-Surgical & wound check visits
Fracture care follow-up
Injection follow-up
Musculoskeletal injury follow-up
Per-operative teaching prior to surgery
Ask your physician if a virtual visit follow-up appointment is right for your follow-up care.

What is the cost of an orthopaedic virtual visit?

New patients: $75
Follow-up visits: $49
Post-surgical visits: $0*
Fracture care visits: $0*
*Within 90 days of incident.
If you would like to use Express Care Online for your next visit, please call your provider’s office. If you are eligible, our team will schedule your virtual visit and provide details on the cost of your appointment and setup instructions.

MyConsult

The MyConsult online medical second opinion service securely connects you to the specialty physician expertise you need when you are faced with a serious diagnosis. Following a thorough review of your medical records and diagnostic tests, Cleveland Clinic experts render a medical second opinion that includes treatment options or alternatives, as well as recommendations regarding your future therapeutic considerations.
https://my.clevelandclinic.org/departments/orthopaedics-rheumatology/appointments-locations

Recommendations from: Rolf "Arttie" T

Chattanooga, Tennessee
Dr. Kristopher Case Sanders, MD
Primary and revision knees, anterior/posterior hip. Works with high BMI patients
Erlanger Orthopaedics
979 E 3rd St,, Suite C-430
Chattanooga, TN 37403
423-778-4900

Washington DC

Bethesda

Dr. Sridhar M. Durbhakula
Hip and knee primary and complex revision (recommended by Mark)
Works with high BMI patients also

Ortho Bethesda
10215 Fernwood Road, Suite 506
Bethesda, Maryland 20817
Phone: 301-530-1010

Thank you Jamie. Really a short list! In the forum archives a doc in Durham NC was recommended but I checked and he had retired. I'll be working this list. There are only two hospital groups in Charlotte and both basically won't let surgeons do joint replacement on patients in my BMI level regardless of how otherwise healthy they are and how horrible quality of life gets.

Yes, you're right. I double checked about the surgeon in Durham and he is definitely retired. I thought he might be connected with a clinic who could recommend someone else, but he had his own practice and it is closed.

What you're experiencing is a real problem. We strongly disagree with this ruling as it obviously is not in the best interest of patients. People should be advised of the risks and let them make the decision as to whether to have the surgery or not. At least there are some surgeons out there who get it. Even if you have to travel, it will be worth it. Things are not going to get better otherwise.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022