Guest viewing is limited

4 Wks post cementless Left THR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 4 Wks post cementless Left THR - sorry it's long!

LetsDoThis, your point is well-taken. Jo has shifted the comments to a new thread. Now we can concentrate on supporting you as you regain your mobility. Looking forward to your next report. :)
 
Re: 4 Wks post cementless Left THR - sorry it's long!

Actually Jo is probably sound asleep in Great Britain right now, Sharon.....I made the change for you.
 
Re: 4 Wks post cementless Left THR - sorry it's long!

You're welcome!!!
 
Re: 4 Wks post cementless Left THR - sorry it's long!

:blush:
 
Re: 4 Wks post cementless Left THR - sorry it's long!

hi Letsdoit
how are you doing to date??? I am getting cabin fever....wishing I could do more...but have to remember to take it a day at a time. Becomming a bit of a couch potato...I like that you said you make yourself get up every hour...I will try that.
 
Re: 4 Wks post cementless Left THR - sorry it's long!

Evening All
but will do as my surgeon says and don't want/need to spend time questionning it.

Right on! Sometimes it feels very confusing to me when folks are doing their recovery differently than I have been told to do mine. I appreciate the reminder to follow my own surgeon's plan. Thanks for being so clear about what you need.

It sounds like you are continuing to do great. Rock on!
 
Re: 4 Wks post cementless Left THR - sorry it's long!

Thank you all so much for the understanding. I'm so sorry if it came across too bluntly.:blush:

I truly know that no-one meant any harm or upset and I was just "typing" out loud from within the depths of my "wallowing in self pity" at the time!:blush: And just was another of those bad days that come along.

Week 6 (-1 day)

I have turned another corner this week. :yahoo: ( Literally,... see below!)

Feeling really, really great.

Loving the fact that the swelling in my thigh and around my incision is gone.

So I am much more aware of what my muscles are like.
My left thigh is about 4cm thinner than my right. And so I had a debate with my sister about whether that meant that it was weak muscles or whether in fact it's that my right thigh and right bottom are just fat! :th_heehee:

I'm not getting "surgical pain" any more. I only get the very odd and occasional twinge or tweak or a sort of "ping" sometimes when I'm doing my exercises. and it's not pain just a feeling really.

All in all, it "feels" more like "nothing"... just feels like the right one!

My scar is amazing.. just like a thin line has been drawn on my skin. The best bit about the scar is that, from one of my previous hip ops when I was 11, the old scar had quite an ugly bit (not that the rest of it is particularly pretty! ) and they were able to re-fashion it and get rid of that bit. ( I hated that bit of the scar for over 35 years :yes 4:)

Every day I'm just more and more confident and more aware of how far I've come. This journey started for me back when I was 7 years old and diagnosed with the Perthese Disease and my hip has been a feature of my life ever since in one way or another!

Which serves to remind me just how major and significant the surgery was for me.

I think that perhaps, as it's only a 2 hour operation, my mind couldn't quite let me believe that so much trauma had occured to my body for such a short op. If that makes sense?

Sort of like,... say "see you soon" to Husband and son at 8.30 am, go to sleep, wake up, having tea and toast and chatting to them 3 hours later as if I'd just had a cat nap!:scratch:

Pre-op I had convinced myself that within a week or so I was going to be running around as if nothing had happened. I now know that was naively and overly optimistic!

So, what's brilliant is that I know that in only a few short weeks time I will be back to walking around with both feet fully on the ground!

As for turning a corner ...this week I got told off by Husband.. I was so fed up of being indoors or only in the garden. So I thought I'll have a little "crutch" outside to the end of our road, about 100 meters.

It felt great, sun was shining and when I got there I felt perfectly fine, so I turned into the next road, still good, and I just kept turning corners until I found myself at the local shop:yay:. Pretty useless once I got there as I had no money with me :DOH: :loll:

But it was nice to see the shop keeper after all these weeks. The only difficulty was my hands, it's very hard work on the hands and the wrists. So wont be doing it regularly. But the sense of freedom was fantastic.

Husband was none too impressed that I did it on my own without him knowing. But I was very careful and really wouldnt have done it if I hadn't felt strong or safe enough.

My post op appointment is on 4th May. I'm trying not to second guess what he will say regarding weight bearing. I remember the Physio mentioning " 6 weeks but it could be 8-10 weeks", so I try not to think about it. What will be will be.

Posture....I am so delighted with the way that he has realigned my posture and lengthened my leg. For as long as I can remember I had what they call Lordosis. The lower part of my spine was always curved markedly inward, so my bottom always stuck out. All due to the way that my muscles were compensating for my deformed hip. That also caused alot of back ache after walking.

I used to get quite sad if I saw myself walking on a video for example. My limp was so noticeable and I just looked so awkward walking.

But I can see such a difference now. My pelvis is balanced, my bum doesn't stick out, my foot stays pointing forward. And although what they did caused a lot of post op pain with the stretching and the correct realignment of muscles etc, it was all well worth it!

I will be able to stand tall (at 5" 1' ? :scratch: ...ok not exactly, tall then!) but straight very comfortably and it will have a huge impact on my self esteem.

When I get to see my surgeon on the 4th I hope to make him blush with my gratitude.

He has changed my life in a fundamental way, over and above getting rid of the pain!
These surgeons really are genuis! The fact that it's such a common place operation and is talked of as such, I think sometimes belies the incredible knowledge, skill and expertise that they all have and call upon each and every time they open up a hip and get to work!

Dealing with the NWB....well it's getting less and less irritating because I am now aware that all too soon, I'll have no excuse for having to sit around, no excuse for not being able to do everything for myself..

All too soon I will be back at work, looking out the window at the glorious sunshine and wishing I was stuck back in the garden!

I realise that I have been very self indulgent in my posts, just writing my story. I hope to be a much more participative member from now on and give support and encouragement to those who will come after.

Thanks again to everyone, to Jo and Jamie for such a fantastic resource. Long may you continue!:ccheers:
 
Re: 4 Wks post cementless Left THR - sorry it's long!

You have indeed turned a corner. Well done Letsdothis!

Guess what? It only gets better from here. More and more independence and the realisation that you can do the things you stopped doing due to pain.

Please don't worry at all about the tone of your posts. That's what BoneSmart is for - sharing the good and the bad times. We do understand!

Here's to a lovely long weekend and enjoying your new hip!:cheers_wine:
 
Re: 4 Wks post cementless Left THR - sorry it's long!

It is lovely to come here and be self-indulgent, and everyone understands because we're all in need of some of that. At the same time, as we share our experiences and what's working and what's not, we contribute to the well-being of others and that counteracts any self-indulgence we indulge in.

It's a win-win, I think.

Fabulous report, Letsdothis.
 
Re: 4 Wks post cementless Left THR - sorry it's long!

Just grinned out loud as I read your post. What a journey you've been for so very long, and your joy at the walk to the shop and having a strong sense of moving toward full recovery is just beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing it with us.
 
Re: 4 Wks post cementless Left THR - sorry it's long!

Hi Letsdothis. You said you were using crutches when you went AWOL on your husband? Do you have the ones that go under the arms or on the forearms? I am amazed by your stamina. My arms are aching just thinking about it. Quite a feat. I imagine the feeling of freedom was well worth the scolding. Keep up the good work!
 
Re: 4 Wks post cementless Left THR - sorry it's long!

What a lovely and uplifting post!!! I'm so very happy for you.
 
Re: 4 Wks post cementless Left THR - sorry it's long!

Happy Easter Monday to everyone.

Just wanted to run something by everyone.

I've developed a pain in my calf in my left leg (operated leg),
I don't want to get all panicky about a DVT and I am sure it is just a sprain but I'm not sure how I would have sprained it?

There is no redness, no swelling, it's not hot over where it hurts.
It feels like a muscle sprain.

It hurts alot more if I extend my leg, ie stretching the calf muscle. But hardly, if at all if my leg is bent.

This is the third day I've had it. It gets easier after I've got up in the morning and start moving around.

I've been keeping up with my getting up and moving around at least every hour. I do the foot pumps and my other exercises laods of times during the day .

I bend at the knee and lift my foot up backwards every time I stand up.

I stopped using the stockings last week as they were such a pain and it was 6 weeks by then,

BUT I just can't think how I would have sprained it? being as I'm essentially just carrying my leg around all the time, not doing any physical work with it as such.

My current theory is then:

Because all the muscles are much weaker now it would take much less to sprain it and I've somehow over stretched it at some point.


And then assuming its a muscle sprain should I try Ice or heat?

I realise that common sense says, get it checked out but I dont want to be a hypochondriac and I definitiely dont want to spend perhaps 4+ hours in A&E for a calf sprain on Bank Holiday Monday!

Does anyone have any experience of something similar?

Many thanks in advance.:thumb:
 
Re: 4 Wks post cementless Left THR - sorry it's long!

Letdothis, I had this type of pain at first. Muscles are being asked to behave in a new way. Sometimes they have been stretched a bit as well.

Does heat work for you? Are you taking any pain meds? Does light stretching of the area make things ease off? Are you taking any blood thinners?

I am sure Jo will be along soon to comment @Josephine:. Please don't worry.
 
Re: 4 Wks post cementless Left THR - sorry it's long!

Good Morning Jaycey - hope you have a good Bank Holiday and have nice things planned for the day.

Thank you so much for the instant reply. I really appreciate it.

Definitely light stretching does make it ease off somewhat.

And it feels like that's what I need to do, it feels like it needs/wants stretching out.

I did the full 28 days of the heparin injections and they stopped about a week and half ago.

I think I will try to put heat on it. I have one of those wheat bag thingies.

I've just taken my morning dose of paracetamol and ibuprofen and so will test it again in 20 -30 mins or so.

My mind is telling me logically that if the pain is not there constantly, ie not a constant ache/pain and it's only when the muscle is stretched that it can only be a sprain.

I'll keep it monitored and report back later.

Thank you so much again.
 
Re: 4 Wks post cementless Left THR - sorry it's long!

How much of the paracetamol and ibuprofen are you taking and how often? Do you have any stronger meds in stock? Because I think those a rather light weight pain meds to be taking this early out.

But, as a precaution, I think you should call your on-call GP and have your leg checked for DVT. Much better be safe than sorry.
 
Re: 4 Wks post cementless Left THR - sorry it's long!

Many thanks Jo

I've been pretty much Ok now for about a week or so with 1g Paracetamol 4 times a day and 400mg of Ibuprofen 3 times a day. And I've been keeping that up every day.

It is now a little better after some heat and the painkillers,but I guess as you say it wouldn't hurt to at least give the Dr a ring to at least discuss it.

Thanks again and I'll report back later.
 
Re: 4 Wks post cementless Left THR - sorry it's long!

Please do let us know how it goes. I do remember feeling like I needed to continually stretch some areas. Hope that's all it is but best to check. Take care!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom