TKR 4 weeks post right TKR dificulty bending

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think one of the challenges is that it's difficult to get scientific evidence. Some people, like Josephine, seem to do great with minimal but consistent exercises/movement, others do great with the kind of pt you describe mjstark. Probably most do well somewhere in between. My non scientific opinion, based on being a long time Bonesmartie, is that a lot depends on the individual's situation before surgery, the skill of the surgeon, and the patient's ability to "hear" the knee and figure out the appropriate level of activity at the given point in recovery. :)
 
Marco ! This is my concern for my upcoming trkr. Im 48 as well. And im about 65 days away from my surgery, but whos counting. Lol.. im very much a teenager at heart and may try to muscle through my recovery. This could have serious ramifications, and I believe one of the reasons OS would prefer as to wait till we are older. I am gonna go by the bone smart bible,Josephine and the Reff just to name two. Im gonna need to get to work after surgery sooner than later and I have a physical job but the short term disability payments concern me I believe it will be 70 percent of my pay. My work is so supportive. I think you have already gone through the hardest part I believe we go into surgery knowing that a tkr is very painful. Its easy for me to say especially since I havent had one yet ! HA! I think we may be similar in this aspect , you are competive as heck and were a athlete till your knee said NO MORE !! You are gonna need to lower your expectations just a bit. Remember the trauma your knee just went through ! They literally sawed off bone and inserted metal pins and stuff in there. Hang in there. Keep us posted. 65 days and counting
 
I would bend my knee and it would hurt so much I would cry, but at four weeks I had 130 degrees in bend and perfectly straight.
For the sake of others reading this, it's more than likely that you would have got to 130 when you did without all that pushing and pain. It serves nothing and you were very lucky you got away with it because usually the result is so much swelling the ROM is hampered. Sorry, but that's the facts of it. No pain, MORE gain.
 
Thanks to everyone for your input, it has been very helpful, as to achieivng 130 at four weeks, unbelievable congratulations on getting there, but I think your recovery is the exeption rather then the rule, as at four weeks I was lucky to get to 70.
I think I have resigned myself to wait as it seems the more I push the worse it gets, last week PT pushed and got to 96, then as usual it returns back to 85-90, so I can't see why forcing my knee has any advantages. I have one more month of disability, then I'll ask my OS to let me return to work but not in my field, I think it will take another 4 to 6 months before I can get back to my physical Job, I guess I will try to collect unemployment and adjust my expences.
The only reason I was thinking about an MUA is that now I have health insurance thru Cobra, and they would pay for it, but come Febuary I will will not be able to afford any insurance, hence no MUA no medications no PT ( $50.00 Dollars a visit ). I will be seeing my OS on the 20 th of this month, and I'll tell him what my situation is and leave it up to him, as if he does not think it would speed up my recovery to do it now, then as I will not have insurance then there would be no way I could afford it after.

I'm sick of worrying about it, I'll just have to wait and see, theres always one final solution.

Thanks again to everyone, I don't think I'll post anymore

Best wishes and speedy recovery to all TKR patients and all who are recovering from any surgery
 
I hope talking with your surgeon helps you decide what is best for you to do. Always remember that we're here if you need us. Sometimes it's good just to come and talk....vent, even, when things are going as you had hoped. We'll always listen.
 
it seems the more I push the worse it gets, last week PT pushed and got to 96, then as usual it returns back to 85-90, so I can't see why forcing my knee has any advantages
I'm glad you finally realised that - it's the honest truth of it.
if he does not think it would speed up my recovery to do it now
It won't. You are only 9 weeks out so it won't solve anything. He probably would get a better flexion under anaesthetic but you have that now. It's just hidden under all the swelling and pain.
 
I think I have resigned myself to wait as it seems the more I push the worse it gets,
You are absolutely correct. Unfortunately, the more you work your knee, the slower your recovery.

will be seeing my OS on the 20 th of this month, and I'll tell him what my situation is and leave it up to him,
I hope---sincerely hope---that you get your questions answered and that yo are able to move on as quicly as possible with your recovery.

Thanks again to everyone, I don't think I'll post anymore
I do look forward to hearing from you again---and how you did and what the results were!
 
If you don't *want* to post that's ok, but we'd sure be interested in how you're doing.
 
Marco...please don't go away. You and I have spoken on the phone. There are other options. Dept of Voc Rehab may be an option for you. Lets put our heads together and see what we can come up with.
We all have days where we can't see beyond today and today sucks. But tomorrow may be different. I was in the same position. And I was self employed so minus the benefits that employees get. Happy to try to help. There are resources for you in NV.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
 
Merry Christmas to everyone,

I saw my OS last week and he said that I need an MUA, so its scheduled for Jan 6 th, my numbers are -8 to 88 flex, despite PT, exercising at home, and recently had a CPM for 3 weeks, used it for 4 to 6 hours a day, no improvment on bend as when it gets to the max all that happens is that the machine lifts my body upwards instead of bending the knee, for the last two months the pain has been getting worse, not as bad as post op, but post the 5 week mark I am slowly feeling more pain as each day passes.

Can anyone explain why I was walking better at 6 to 7 weeks then I am now, my OS says the MUA will be a great help but I'm feeling worse then ever, the OS told me I should be able to return to work with no restrictions on Feb 19th, he must not believe me as there is no way I could work on my feet, so has the Operation failed am I permenately disabled, my last 3 visits the OS had x rays done but has never showed them to me, should I ask him why, or get the copys and get another opinion, or I don't know anymore , I'm at a total loss any adise would be greatly appreciated.

M
 
I would get copies with reports. They are your records. They may charge you a bit but you want them for your next visit. I had a revision.. and then a MUA. Changed my life. But I would get an opinion from someone not connected to the practice.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
 
Marco ! Im sad to hear that your surgery hasnt went as you would have expected. I read your whole thread and even commented earlier. Your whole situation with the tkr and insurance and work is a mess. But you are gonna have to stay positive. Depression set in earlier but that can be common in winter and after a tkr. Although im pre op I have been reading Bonesmart daily for a month. Your thread as well as a few others have cautioned me on my post op recovery..I have to have faith in my OS. I May interview or check out a few PT clinics and see if they believe in no pain more gain motto. I dont have a time table for a return to work but I do have a physical job as a meatcutter for Costco.. I probably wont go back till im good and ready. Well Marco I wish you the best. Hopefully the MUA will be successful. Im pulling for you.
 
Happy New Year to every one,

I there anyone who could gie me info on MUA, I had mine done yesterday, I got back home around 3 pm Iceing and elevating, I slept for one hour the pain is horrendous, I have suffient Medications as I am Opiode tollerant, they do not seem to be relieving the Pain, the pain is so bad I will have to cancel PT today as I don't think I will be able to drive, I am waiting to call my OS as I don't think the pain should be as painful as it is, Please if anyone has a MUA, should it be this painful ? When should i go to PT as if I went today it would be physically impossible, has anyone had complications that I could mention to my OS as I feel he will tell me everything is fine, how do I convince my OS how horrendous the pain is, any advice I could get would be greatly appreciated.

M
 
Oh poor you! Well it would seem that you did have adhesions as that's the usual outcome after an MUA when the adhesions have been ripped apart. It can be ferociously painful for a while but should subside within a few days.

If you are unable to take opiates, can you take Tylenol and ibuprofen instead? 1,000mg Tylenol 4 times a day and 800mg ibuprofen 3 times a day. Also ice, ice, ice and elevate and rest. And don't go to PT until it subsides. That's all you can do, I'm afraid.

But there's nothing amiss - just a fairly normal outcome of an MUA on occasions.
 
I am in desperate need of advice please.

TKR 09/30/13 MUA 01/06/14, seems like what I had gained in extension I have lost in flexion. Last PT with considerable force went from 90 to 115 flexion. After MUA, extension was at -30 hence after MUA pain was terrible as I was walking with my knee at 30 degrees. Over the last week PT has improved to a MUA of -15.

I'm coming up to five months post op. I have been terminated from work but they said I could reapply but I can't walk. My job needs me to walk 8 hour shifts. Can't collect UI as I cannot perform my duties of my previous employment.

So has TKR failed? Can someone tell me yes or no?
Do I need more months to recover or am I disabled for life?
Dr says to try a Dynasplint but insurance wont cover it.
Dr will not give me a straight answer, just says come back in two weeks.

So please can someone give me a straight answer. It would be greatly appreciated especially if someone has had a slow recovery. Will I be able to work on my feet - yes or no? Please , Please

M
 
Hi Marco. I've read most of your thread and you've been given some wonderful advice. I've noticed that while you acknowledge the advice, you then proceed to ignore it. When suggested to stop pushing your knee to bend so hard you said you would and then stated that you got a CPM machine for 3 weeks. Forcing your knee to do anything is totally counterproductive. I know because I've done it and it's set back my recovery. Your knee won't bend when it's swollen.

Pushing your knee to do things it's not ready for makes your knee swell. TKR is very much a 'less is more' kind of recovery. Yes, we need to exercise but we don't need to push through the pain. You need to listen when your knee tells you to stop. I'm a bit of a control freak and don't really like listening to what my knee says, but that's how it needs to be. Every recovery is different. We all heal at our own pace with different outcomes.

We've all heard tales of the 'miracle recoveries' but those are the exception and not the rule. There are no short cuts. I don't think anyone can tell you for sure what your outcome will be. You need to stop being so hard on yourself and your knee. Easier said than done, I know, but it's just how it is. Please don't panic about all the what ifs. Concentrate on one day at a time.

I'm very sorry if any of this sounds harsh, but I think you're doing yourself more harm than good with your seemingly frantic chasing of ROM. I guarantee if you slow down, things will improve. There are thousands of success stories on here. I think you need to read them and take note. While you are 5 months out from TKR, you are only 3 weeks out from your MUA.
 
I would absolutely suggest getting a 2nd opinion. I'll also tag @Josephine for you. I'm sorry you're having so many challenges. I know how scary the unknown can be.
 
My OS was adament that you count from your last procedure..and that was the manipulation. Just a thought. I did the same as you..I whined it has been 3 years since I had my replacements. But he said..you had a revision and a manipulation since then. That's the date you work with. Really helped my thought process and progression and I am fine today. I can't tell you that I could do your job Marco even 3 years out. Don't think I could stand that many hours but I am also nearly 73.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
 
I think you may have missed my post on page one of your thread. Here it is again and still equally relevant. I was told to expect up to 130.

Don't worry about the ROM as you are ok for only a month post op. To show you how it can improve over time I'v shown a list of my recovery below.

92 - 8 weeks post op
105 - 10 weeks
107 - 5 months
110 - 6 months
112 - 7 months
116 - 9 months
119 - 11 months

118 - 1 yr
120 - 1yr 2 months
125 - 1 yr 8 mon
 
So has TKR failed? Can someone tell me yes or no?
No it hasn't
Do I need more months to recover or am I disabled for life?
No
Dr will not give me a straight answer, just says come back in two weeks.
That's because he doesn't possess the gift of seeing into the future. He's not holding back on you, actually he's being perfectly honest.
So please can someone give me a straight answer.
I think Ellen gave you a wonderfully succinct 'straight answer', straight from the hip! I suggest you read it most carefully and several times!

But as for the suggestion of a second opinion, that's not necessary.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom