Guest viewing is limited

TKR 4 weeks post right TKR dificulty bending

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to everyone who responded, I am very grateful for all of you.

In answer to some of your questions, medication is a problem as I have had four operations on my knee, the TKR being the number 5. In order to work and make a living I have been on heavy doses of opioid, which has made me opioid tolerant
Kadian 200
oxy IR 30 5 x day
oxy er 80 2x day
Fentanyl patch 100 1 every two days (stopped)
klonopin 2mg 2 day
restoril 15 mg 2 day
I'm going to stop the Morphine (kadian) as before I had 24 hour non-stop pain after a 4 to 6 hour shift, limping to my car, in tears if I had to use the brake, that was the last two years nightmare and depression.

Right now my pain is different, hurts in the morning then gets better during the day then worse as it gets later around 11pm but not half as painful as before the TKR. I hate taking the meds and I'm going to start titrating down over the net few months. It's hard to tell as I spend all my time at home on the couch with ice. If I could get moving I guess I would have a better reading on pain.

Before TKR pain 5 to 10 hitting 10n always at work
After TKR, pain 5 when I wake up to ½ most of the day then back to 5 at night, but it could be because I take so much medication.

I'm going to start PT this week so I'll see what they say and how they work. I guess the only other issue I have is the depression of not working, I exausted my FMLA so my work wants me to go on Cobra then when I heal if there is an opening they might rehire me, so now I have to worry what will happen if I don't recover lose my Job and look for a bridge to live under.

Thanks again to all of you. I might be living in my apartment alone (except for my dog) so its nice to get support even if it's only by computer.

thanks again

M
 
[Bonesmart.org] 4 weeks post right TKR dificulty bending
[Bonesmart.org] 4 weeks post right TKR dificulty bending
[Bonesmart.org] 4 weeks post right TKR dificulty bending
Call on us any time day or night, one of us will answer---this is the beauty of BoneSmart and your fellow BoneSmarties.
 
HI, I'm at weeks been iceing everyday, has anyone used heat, I tried but it felt like I could feel the metal heating up, any other recovery idea's would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

M
 
Marco, the best recovery idea is not going to go over well. It's, well, to do nothing and wait it out.
 
Hi All,

Once again I'm looking for advice. I'm coming up to 6 weeks post op. My HR dept is terminating my employment on Nov 24th as I have exhausted FMLA. Before I had the TKR my OS told me to have PRP & HGH injections, this wasted seven weeks of FMLA, I went back to work for 3 weeks then could not work, and decided on having the TKR.

I am going to elect Cobra but it's so expensive I'll be able to pay for max of 3 months. My work has said if there is an opening I can re-apply. I am wondering if it,s because of all the surgeries and the business is worried about increase in premiums. So now I have the additional stress of being unemployed. Can't claim UI as I can't work at my current job and I have never had a sit down job.

If anyone has been through this process or had a similar situation, I would be very grateful for any advice or recommendations I what I can do. I'm disappointed in my ROM at 6 weeks and I'm afraid that losing my income might be the stick that breaks the camels back (depression).

Thanks in advance if anyone has the time to respond.

M
 
So sorry to hear this. You must struggle with keeping a positive attitude being up against so much. I'll tag a couple of our veteran forum members to chime in with what they've learned about these kinds of situations as I have nothing to offer. referee54 Roy Gardiner
 
I am so sorry you are about to lose your job. It is something you should not have to worry about when you are trying your darnest to recover. Just concentrate on getting better and you will be able to get another job. I know it is easy to say but I do realize how hard it is on you. Take care. Lee
 
I am very, very sorry to learn of your present situation. I cannot offer you advice about the FMLA and the insurance aspect, but I do agree with Josephine about the use of heat---I would not apply heat directly to the surgical joint, as heat can bring about inflammation (that is why you would use ice to keep the inflammation down.)

You could use some gentle heat on the quads and the hamstrings to loosen them up before you stretch.
 
I understand the frustrations that go with lack of bend . I found myself obsessing over my numbers or lack there of, dont let anyone push you to the point of pain trust me it will do more harm than good. I had my mua Thursday and my bend is better, the knee is a bit stiff but i am sure that is just a bit of swelling going on. I waited and read everything i could on here about mua.. my therapist and my os did not push the matter but did help me realize that for me it was time to do it. I was stuck in the mid 80 range for weeks . At therapy on friday i was at 93 .. i could care less now about the numbers i judge everything now on how the knee feels and how it reacts to what excersize i am doing. Listen to your knee and i wish you best of luck... and ice and elevate i was doing that all wrong to but this forum helped correct me...
 
I know somebody who's a bit of an expert in health care Jamie and Knitter4444 - don't know if Knitter will reply. She's not been around much lately ....
 
Look in the social room under the topic Affordable Care Act. Knitter4444 has some great information and website links I think you will find useful. With healthcare laws changing in January and your loss of income you may not have to pay much if anything for health insurance. Also you can no longer be denied coverage due to a pre existing condition. I wish you all the best and hope you find some relief!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I am around. Just finishing up writing a medical billing course with tight deadlines.

Marco..As someone who has had bilateral knees done..bilateral revision and also manipulations, thumb joints replaced and a hip I can feel for you. I wish I could help that part..but believe me when I tell you that I know the pain and the depression. BoneSmart saved me.

Let me try to help you with your insurance issues. I am going to private message you and give you my phone number and lets see what I can do to help you. I can call you if you cannot make a long distance call. There is a good chance with no income that you are entitled to the subsidies that the Affordable Care Act makes available but..let me tell you something else. There is a global fee for your surgery, meaning that your care for your knees from your surgeon is covered for 90 days from the date of surgery. I would never suggest that anyone be without insurance, but you may just have to pay for one month (December) Your insurance will be good through the end of Nov..or should be since it is paid in advance a month at a time. Your PT is not part of the surgery so that will be extra but you can learn a lot from your therapist in these few weeks.

The new laws go into effect on Jan 1st. but you have to sign up by Dec 15th for that starting date. Lets work together and make this happen.

Merry
 
Marco, I sincerely hope Merry has some suggestions that will help you.

I'm not sure I understand why you feel you would not be eligible for unemployment payments. Have you checked with your human resouces department and they told you this?
 
He has to he available to work Jamie and it doesn't sound like Marco can right now.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
 
Ohhhh.....now I understand. I'm glad you are going to try and help.
 
Marco, I am so sorry to hear all you are going through. Can't you collect disability if you are unable to work? It should pay more than unemployment and when you are able to work you can collect the UI. Just concentrate on getting better and listen to all the advice you have been getting on this forum. I hope it all works out for you. I'll keep you in my prayers.
 
I hope knitter can help you!! I am a supporter of the Affordable Care Act and know there are ways to help regular people
Best to you!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
The only disability I'm aware of is Social Security disability and that takes time to go through the application and approval process. Some people obtain separate disability policies, but that would be something an individual puts in place before a problem arises.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom