BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] 30 days and still recovering <

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Marvin L, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Someone was getting too anxious :no-fin:
    Use this Sunday as a day of rest. Ice the area of discomfort several times for 40-60 minutes, no less. Take some OTC pain relievers if you feel the need until you're feeling better. Then....behave! :wink:
    I'll bet you're better in a day or two...Happy Sunday!:wave:
    @Marvin L

• Like Like x 1
  2. Marvin L

Marvin L member

Hip pain is better today, ankle still hurts. And back aches when getting out of bed. Took it easy yesterday, just went to church and out to lunch and a walk in the evening, over 100 degrees here in Houston. The ups and down of this recovery are mind boggling. But it goes on and I know everything will be good, just don’t know when.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. linette333

linette333 senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I couldn't agree more @Marvin L ! Every day seems to bring a new issue to test us, it seems. Everyone keeps on telling us that it will get better.... :whistle:
    But like you, what I want to know, is WHEN?
    Meanwhile we will just keep on along the recovery road....... Thanks to this forum, it really helps to know that others are feeling the same.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Marvin L

Marvin L member

Water PT today, my hip hurts this morning and my ankle. I think I was feeling better 2 weeks ago. I slept on my side last night, maybe that’s why my hip hurts, I’m getting tired of the pain every day. Please, let it stop. I’m going to continue sayin it, I’m healing nicely. I’m thankful for the healing that’s occurring. Thank God for the healing. And today goes on.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Layla

Good Morning Marvin,
    You have a great attitude. Early days in the whole scheme of things, even at two months out. You're paired up for life with this prosthetic and all needs to settle in place and completely heal.
    Keep that in mind. It does take patience.
    You're doing great. Go out and seize the day!
    @Marvin L

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Cecropia

Cecropia graduate

Hi Marvin. I wonder what parts are you noticing the healing???? In my case, I still feel the pain in the morning, the buttuck muscles, hard to walk at first, but they don't take as long now to loosen up. Still notice soreness during the day, but I can walk without assistance and no limp.
    I say I'm thankful for the parts that are healing too. For me the last 2 days ONLY, I can now bring my surgery foot up on my other knee at long last and put my sock on or shoe. Hope this lasts. Not sure what part of the surgery healed to let me do this tho, but thankful.
    Also as long as I use my hiking poles I now can walk the bike paths along the river again for about a mile, working up the mileage and no pain, feels good. I could walk without them, but I feel I get farther using them. We have beautiful walking, bike paths that start a block from our house. My goal was to get back out and use them. I just want the pain to stop too, but I still work in my yard and yes go fishing. Gotta go fishing... I think you will notice improvements very gradually, that's how it is happening for me so far....keep the faith....

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  7. Tarajeane

Tarajeane junior member

When was your surgery?
    Tara

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Marvin L

Marvin L member

June 5th. Same as you. I went to pool Pt n she kicked my butt. Did a lot of range of motion, massage n stretching. At the had me swim in places n put my legs apart, causing a lot of stretching. I liked it, even though I hurt some. I can walk with no cane without limping. Can’t get my operated leg unto the other leg yet. Therapist said I’m very tight, entire body is. So I’m doing the stretching every day. Can ride the stationary bike which I really enjoy. Going to up the time, work on stamina and strength.
    Tarajean, you seem to be a little ahead of me. But I’m not comparing, I know I’m going to be fine. My goal is to go back to work in Oct. I’m in sales, so I will be on my feet a lot, decided I want to work, because I enjoy it. After all of this time recovering, working sounds real good to me.
    The therapist thinks I have to get my body loosened up, I over compensate my muscles protecting my hip, she said I can’t hurt the new hip doing theses stretches and exercise, my muscles might get sore but that’s ok. I always think I’m hurting my new hip if I get any pain in the hip area. Which method is better? Just walking or doing the stretches n exercises? I like being proactive but I don’t want a revision or dislocation, tomorrow is 10 weeks out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. linette333

linette333 senior

I find your post really interesting @Marvin L . Like you, I am really stiff all over and I badly need to start to loosen up. I am seeing a physio tomorrow (even though the surgeon told me that I had no need to) and looking forward to some advice and stretches. I am very envious of your pool PT - sounds perfect. I have started pool walking now, so hope I can build in some stretches there.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Layla

Marvin,
    I think you can do it all, if you take it easy. Walking, gentle stretches and the pool PT.
    Personally, I wouldn't do things to the point of hurting. You shouldn't have to get to that point for results.
    Keep up the good work, you're doing great!
    @Marvin L

• Like Like x 1
  11. Marvin L

Marvin L member

I’m surprised, not much pain today. Just a little sore in hip and ankle. Legs are a bit sore but that’s exercise soreness which I’m good with. Email my surgeon assistant to have imaging on my ankle. I think it hurt because of the difference in height. My operated leg is a little shorter. That was one of my fears going in, I thought this dr was good n would make sure they are the same length. I’ve read on hear it may feel longer until it settles but mine is shorter, it’s not much but I can feel it. If I stand straight with both knees locked I can see is maybe a quarter of a inch shorter. It’s amazing how God created us so perfect. Blows my mind the design of the body, dall the stuff it does. We are made in Gods image, so I guess it’s difficult for the surgeon to match that. So I’m thinking I might need some kind of a insert for my shoe but I don’t want to be guessing, I want the dr to get me the exact size. Does my surgeon do that or do I have to toe to a different dr?

12. Layla

Hi Marvin,
    This is something my colleague, Jaycey has dealt with personally and she's advised to wait 3-4 months before doing anything. Then she's recommended at that point to see a good PT or Podiatrist to get an exact measurement of the LLD. Or you can speak with your surgeon about it at your next follow up visit. It could also be tight or atrophied muscles and it may ease with time.
    Hope this helps.
    @Marvin L

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Marvin L

Marvin L member

I see my surgeon on the 28th. Have land PT this morning, she gets me a little nervous, because she likes to push me. So far, haven’t felt to bad, afterwards. Went to gym yesterday, did 15 minutes on bike and stretching and light weights. I walk back n forth in this mirrored room to watch the way I walk. No limp. But I need to work on my posture, stand up straighter, chest out, stomach in, n keep my head tall. The mirrors really help.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

Sounds more like atrophied muscles. A bit of gentle stretching and time needed. Do have your surgeon measure using your x-ray. But I would bet this will settle. Give it a good 3-4 months. post op.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Layla

Just remember this....She's not the boss of you!
    Hope you have a good session and a great weekend. :wink:

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Marvin L

Marvin L member

Doing ok this morning. Ankle still bothering me. A little sore from PT. Life is beginning to get more normal. Have soreness in thigh n butt n groin. Thinks it’s from the strength building exercises. Wonder if I should take it easy today. PT said I need to do exercises every day. Think I will do the stretches n the easier exercises. Still conflicted, how much exercising n PT I should do?

17. Layla

Hello Marvin :wave: Happy Sunday!
    I say take a day off. If you're conflicted, go for a walk. Set the PT exercises aside for one day.
    Walking IS exercise. You're doing great....keep it up! :walking:
    @Marvin L

• Like Like x 1
  18. ForumUser

ForumUser member

Marvin,

Couple of things I may have missed.

1. Did you ever get ted socks and wear for the swelling?
    2. Can you confirm you are off narcotics?

I still believe you are overthinking this ... at ten weeks you can walk as much as you want to. IMO, I would stop the PT and simply walk - you will need, of course, to personally execute stretching to improve your range of motion - this is something you can do yourself - the opinion of the PT professional is helpful, but YOU are the judge of what makes you feel better, sleep better, etc.

I am close to your age - no PT was even recommended - I walk a lot, stretch ... did I mention I walk a lot? I am really busy because it is good to be really busy!

I specifically try and forget I have some extra components ... this isn't about internalization ... it is about moving as much as possible.

• Like Like x 2
  19. CricketHip

CricketHip FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Oooh @Marvin L I'm late to the party but I hope you rested today! I have to chime in and tell you that I don't like the sound of a PT who is pushing you hard. Gentle stretching is good.. gentle stretches.. based on my clientele, men seem to be tighter and less flexible so just take it slowly and progress at your comfort zone.
    Then, you mentioned doing exercises every day? Back in my weightlifting days, (truth!) we always took a day off in between to let the muscles, tendons and any resulting inflammation settle down. I would think you would want to follow this rule, now too. But that's only my thoughts on the matter.
    My OS told me that at 6 weeks the actual replacement would be solid and strong--that its the risk of getting tendonitis or some other fool thing that slows everything down, I took what he said and made it 12 weeks in my mind.. because I believe in the bonesmart ways. But it's true. Why risk some nagging tendonitis or tendonosis after going through the replacement surgery? I've spent several days in the ODIC so I'm not saying it's easy some days.
    The best exercise at this point, if you are still having discomfort, is to exercise your patience. You've come a long way!! I enjoy your thread and reading your questions and I think others do too. It's helpful!

:flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 1
  20. ceezee

ceezee member

Very well said, this is true for all of us.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1