Revision TKR 3 years out - Injury?worked

Is it normal for the incision to itch? Mine is still covered by the bandage that we leave on for 10 days, so I can't see it, but I want to make sure that is not a sign on infection. It looks fine through the bandage and the pain is getting better each day, but I am overly paranoid about infection.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
You have a very good PT from what you have described.....heed his advice and don't overdo.....easier said than done I know but trying too much too soon can actually slow down your recovery; I know about overdoing...since I was stubborn during parts of my recovery......(FYI...lived in north Austin area near Round Rock in mid 80's-how much that area between Austin and Round Rock has grown in that time; was down for business a couple years prior to my TKRs and participated in a charity run in Georgetown....you live in a great part of Texas...Roll Tide).

Take care and have patience during your recovery-it will pay dividends.

Best of luck to you...

Very cool, I live in Round Rock! It's amazing how much it's changed, even in the past 5-10 years. I used to love driving in to Austin to run Town Lake. There was nothing better than getting there at like 6am and jogging before it got too busy. In ran with Austin Fit, man I miss those days! I would do anything to be able to run again after my knee was healed, but I know it's highly frowned upon. Heck, I would even settle for just a short warm up of like a mile!

I hope you are a Longhorn fan! We are counting down the days!! Charlie Strong has a football camp just for women, at the end of each July. I've missed the last two years because of knee surgeries, but I hope to go next year!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@HookEm613 wow, I can't believe you are up to going out, my tkr was June 13th and I can't even imagine going out yet...be careful that you don't over do it and end up regressing!

Uva55-I've been trying to find your recovery thread, but I can't seem to find it. How are you doing? Good I hope!! [emoji3]


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Is it normal for the incision to itch? Mine is still covered by the bandage that we leave on for 10 days, so I can't see it, but I want to make sure that is not a sign on infection. It looks fine through the bandage and the pain is getting better each day, but I am overly paranoid about infection.
Itching is not a usual sign of infection. I think that sometimes it's a sign of healing. I don't think you need to worry about it.

The signs of infection are increased pain, heat, redness, swelling and discharge from the wound. Sometimes you will have a raised temperature as well.

It is OK for your TKR knee to feel warmer than the other knee - that's also a sign that healing is taking place. It took almost a year before my TKR knee was the same temperature as my other knee.
 
:yes!::happydance::ok:​

It is OK for your TKR knee to feel warmer than the other knee - that's also a sign that healing is taking place. It took almost a year before my TKR knee was the same temperature as my other knee.
@Celle
I am so glad to read this. I've been wondering about my hot knee after 3.5 months. I can feel the heat even through jeans. It's not red any more, just hot. Relieved!
 
:yes!::happydance::ok:​


@Celle
I am so glad to read this. I've been wondering about my hot knee after 3.5 months. I can feel the heat even through jeans. It's not red any more, just hot. Relieved!

Thanks y'all!! I feel like when it comes to odds, I somehow fall in to the small percentage of rarities, a lot. Heck, three years ago I was picked out of 1,400 people, to be on a jury for a death penalty case. Luck is not on my side.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well I really hope luck is on your side when it comes to your recovery. Hey your luck may already be changing when you found this site (at least that is definitely how I felt). Welcome to the insomnia club I was a member for several months but happy to say I've finally given up my membership hehe.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
So glad your recovery is coming along so remarkably well at only 1wk out @HookEm613! I hope to catch up with you soon- haha!
 
Thanks y'all! Overall, I think my recovery is pretty on-par with most patients that I read. I definitely have my good times and bad times. PT today was rough, and I saw the PT assistant, not my normal PT. I have cancelled all further appointments with her. I have only agreed to PT this early because my therapist agrees with everything I have read on here about recovery.

Tomorrow I have an appointment with my regular doctor, because earlier I felt like I was getting a UTI. I want to double check that I'm not, plus I've developed a cough tonight. A quick trip to the doctor won't hurt!

Anyhow, hope all is well! Healing prayers are sent everyone's way! [emoji3]


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
At 7wks I began my outpatient PT. They understood & agreed up front the way things were going to work if they wanted my business.

I'm happy to report that after 2 visits my flexion has increased from 50*s to 87*s! Sure I have sore quad muscles, I've been a recliner potato for 7wks. But I'm happy that my flexion is increasing!

I went into my TKR with very limited flexion due to arthritis. And I also didn't have adequate post-op pain management so I wasn't a motivated patient in regards to movement, AT all, for the first 6wks. But in your recovery, even if you choose to have PT under YOUR terms, I believe we can all reach our goals of mobility giving us our quality of life back!

Good for you @HookEm613 for canceling future therapy from that insensitive PT assistant! That's managing your recovery with what works best for you and what you've learned here-!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, @Suz this is a time to celebrate that increased ROM! Gentle works, doesn't it? We expect to be a little sore after our exercising, not in terrible pain after incorrect PT. Thank you BoneSmart for saving so many from undue and needless pain!
 
Good for you for saying no to an aggressive pt assistant. Good luck tomorrow hope everything is ok.
 
I woke up feeling 100% better so I cancelled the appointment. Other than the continual nausea from pain meds, I am doing pretty well.

I am supposed to take my large bandaide off today (actually yesterday), but I am scared. I don't do well seeing things like staples in skin, so I might pass out...literally. I know I need to do it though. Do y'all keep your incision covered all of the time, or do you have it open? I don't remember the doctor telling me what to do, but they did give me a bag of gauze and tape.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My surgeon's office took off the big bandage and took out the staples at my first follow up visit which I think was at about 2 2weeks. After that mine was open to the world :)
 
Home health nurse took mine off at 1 week and said to leave it uncovered unless I found it too sensitive, which it has been. But, for the most part it has been uncovered. My staples were taken out this past Friday and we had to cover it then because of staple bleeds. That was for only one day, though.
 
I took mine off myself and I was a little nervous too, me and that sort of stuff don't do well together. But it wasn't bad to see and I think you'll feel better with the added freedom of no bandage. Oh and I left mine uncovered per docs instructions. I think it's better for the healing process. Good luck - you can do it, but be sure someone is around in case you do faint ;-)

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I wish I could take mine off, I was told to leave mine on until I see my doctor next Tuesday.
 
So yesterday was a pretty rough day. Tuesday was the first day that I had both of the kids back, and although I was feeling really well, I must have overdone it a bit. I woke up Wednesday and my knee was super stiff.

Then I went to PT (which was dumb, I really considered cancelling), and that was rough. It was uncomfortable but not painful, so I didn't think much of it. Then about 30 minutes after PT, my knee started screaming at me. It is a lot better today, but it was definitely a wake up call. I have PT tomorrow and I'm waiting to see how I feel later today, when deciding whether or not go. I find that PT works a lot of the stiffness out, so I think it's a good thing for me...just not when I am in pain or overly stiff to begin with.

I did think it was interesting that my PT does wound care though. I didn't know they would do that for you. My PT checks my wound every visit, sprays it with a cleaner and then recovers it. I like that because it's like a professional set of eyes to check for. Infection.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Back
Top Bottom