THR 3 Year post OP Dislocation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also yesterday I was completely medically cleared for surgery. So T-minus 11 days till my total left hip replacement revision and leg lengthening! Here's to getting this over with and on the mend. They said that the femoral stem looked good on X-rays and shouldn't need to be replaced but will be prepared to if they get in and feel it's necessary. So hopefully just the socket/cup will be fixed and what not!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
That's great news! Hope they don't have to replace the stem. 11 days to prepare and then the big event, and you will be on the road to recovery.
 
Hi Aaron, so sorry to hear about your dislocation. I'm around your age (20) and just had both of my hips replaced a few days ago due to AVN from prednisone. I am inspired by your ability to do all of those activities after your replacements, and it keeps me hopeful during my recovery. I wish you the best of luck with your revision surgery so that you can get back to living life to its fullest!
 
So T-minus 11 days till my total left hip replacement revision and leg lengthening!
All the best Aaron! We will be here for you through this additional journey!
 
Just a few more days until surgery! Getting nervous! But ready to be out of this brace.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I had my surgery yesterday. The surgeon only needed to replace the socket part of my old replacement. He also did lengthen my leg some. He said he really got in there and fixed everything and should be much better once it is healed. I am still in the hospital have not had my physical therapy yet that starts in a couple of hours, which I am dreading. Im in a decent amount of pain and having some muscle spasms. They are trying to get all of my medicines together and working. I am pretty worn out! But overall everything went smoothly. Will keep you all posted. I will be having the other hip done later this year.
 
Let the healing begin!!!! Rest and take care. We are thinking about you--catch up in a few days.
 
Way to go, Aaron! It all sounds like very good news. I am impressed with how together you sound considering you are one day out! Hope they get your pain under control soon. My first in-hospital PT was very mild and involved things like standing up and getting over to the chair, no exercises or anything like that. They shouldn't be pushing you beyond what you can do this early! Take care...
 
Congratulations. I'm so glad you made it. That's good news that he only had to replace the socket. I hope the PT is easy and gentle, and that your spasms subside. I started to spasm the first night, and the nurse gave me a breakthrough drug that stopped it. Take care.
 
Welcome to the other side once again my friend. You know the drill! Glad they are working to tweak your pain management.
having some muscle spasms.
I had this as well when they evened up my leg length. Hopefully they have given you the right meds to ease this.

Don't let PT push you!
 
Welcome @AmBlocker! I, too, had those nasty muscle spasms! The spasms just increased the pain I was already experiencing. It took a while, but all did calm down.

You must be relieved this is all done. Slow and steady with the PT!:yes:
 
So the pain has been pretty intense. They upped my pain meds yesterday which helped but still hurting.

My surgeon said that he replaced the entire socket and put in a bigger one, he also changed the ball to a bigger ball he said and made it to where I'll have a bit more range of motion to make it more stable and less likely to dislocate. He also added 4millimeters in length so before surgery it was already about 7-8 millimeters longer than the right leg so now it's about 12millimeters longer. I can definitely tell but he said this was to make it more stable as well. He said we will put a little shoe lift in my right shoe to help and once this leg is healed he said we can discuss moving to the right side and doing the revision on it and making the length closer to my left side.

To me the pain has been just as bad or maybe a tad worse than the initial replacements but it's more localized into my buttock/groin since he didn't have to change the femoral stem. I should hopefully go home today and continue my care there and in therapy. Very read for this to be over.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
That all makes sense. I didn't even feel my hip after my bilateral replacement. It was the outer thighs that were really tender. Probably from all of that hammering. I'm glad they upped your medications. I'm sorry you're in pain.

That's interesting about the ROM to prevent dislocating. I'm always cautious when I twist since reading your thread. I hope things continue to improve, and that your pain fades.
 
I am now 7 days post op and man it's been a whirlwind of a week! After I was released to go home on Wednesday late that night I started running a low grade fever which figured was normal. By Friday night my fever spiked to 102 so called surgeon and they said go to the ER. So of course they check my hip and incision and X-ray it to rule out infection. It wasn't infected, which was my big worry. But come to find out I have the flu and a urinary tract infection. :( so they ran a bag of IV antibiotics and made sure my fever went down and I got to go home. Feeling a bit better but still running low fever. It's been a crazy week. I also feel like this revision was more painful than original THR, anyone else think that? I start outpatient PT on Wednesday.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It's hard to navigate that first week, isn't it! Sorry about your extra pain this time. Are your pain meds different from before? Can't even imagine having the flu during that first week, ugh. And the UTI, ugh, again. Can't believe you are starting out-patient OT just one and a half weeks after your op. I had very gentle in-home PT, and a few in-home nurse visits, for the first 4 weeks. It was heaven not to have to struggle to go out-patient. Is that even safe, I wonder, as you will be exposed to more people's germs and have to do all of that getting out of the house, into a car, into the place and all back again. I would have been completely worn out just from that, never mind the PT.
 
Same pain medication and dosage, it's controlling the pain for the most part but it feels different than the replacement. They also lengthened my leg and I think that's throwing me off too because I can really tell the difference but won't get a shoe lift for a couple of weeks in of PT and some of the swelling goes down so they can get an accurate measurement. I was hoping to do a little in home PT but health insurance is being a hassle trying to get in home so outpatient it is. The clinics not terribly far from my house but I know I'm gonna be worn out more than usual.

It's been a tough week! I think the UTI is clearing up still having some issues and then the flu I can't tell whether my aches are from the surgery and hip or still fighting off the flu. Hopefully it's gone!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hang in there @AmBlocker ! You are dealing with a lot! Let things settle before using any lift in your shoe. You know the drill - ice, elevate and meds.
 
@AmBlocker Feel better! Hopefully the joint is feeling much more stable....even if the rest of your body is protesting.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom