THR 3 Year post OP Dislocation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really sorry you are going through this ordeal. What you have written makes sense. Yours sounds like a complicated case. I'm glad you trust your surgeon. That makes such a difference. I feel for you. This is intense. I hope you have the support that you need.

Do you think the low impact jump roping or other activity had anything to do with it? That jumped out at me when I read your post.
 
@AmBlocker, I am so sorry to hear about your situation. That has to be a lot to wrap your mind around. Please know that you are in my thoughts and you'll have the support of your fellow hippies here as you move forward.
 
I think my active lifestyle probably did play into it. Being so young I forget I have fake hips and do too much. But I think the leg length discrepancy is the real problem as well. From what I can tell that's what my surgeon was getting at. It's longer enough than my right one to have caused instability he said. Either way I need surgery to fix it.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I can see how that would throw everything off in your body. I think one of the advantages to bilateral surgery is that they can achieve an exactness in the leg lengths. You are also healing them at the same time. It's hard to know how much is too much activity. I'm constantly questioning that on a daily basis.

The other issues you mentioned make a lot of sense, too. All of the parts affect the whole.
 
Hi. I dislocated 3 years after my hip resurfacing surgery. The er ortho popped it back in Was the most painful thing ever. Had a revision done 6 months later long story
That was in 2010. Still weary of hip and still use precautions.
Good luck
Susanne


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Aaron, I am SO sorry to have made you feel that you had to apologise to me about this! It's not what I intended at all. If you are confident in your surgeon then ignore anything I've had to say about that. You know I was only thinking of you. I fully understand you are nervous and it's hardly surprising so I reckon that me waffling on about how good your surgeon is was the last thing you needed. I really am truly sorry.

That article was interesting but I noticed these comments which speak very loudly to me
  1. Several risk factors were described, including the surgical approach, the diameter of the head, impingement, component malposition, insufficient abductor musculature.
  2. Preventing hip dislocation is obviously the best strategy. Surgeons must take into account patient and surgical risk factors. For patients at high risk for dislocation the surgeon should accurately restore leg length and femoral offset; the use of larger femoral heads, posterior transosseous repair of the capsulotendinous envelope if posterior approach is chosen or the use of a lateral approach should be considered.
  3. Component orientation is a very important factor affecting the stability of an implant
I actually saw no mention of AVN being a risk factor - where did you see it?

I've even edited this article Dislocation: incidence of dislocation after THR to include quotes from this article, so thank you for that!
 
@Josephine I do get you were thinking of my best interest and I appreciate that, but I do feel confident in him. I posted that on an emotional day (all of this has hit me hard emotionally) its just inconvenient among other things. BUT Looking back my surgeon was referring to the leg length discrepancy being the big issue it was I think he said 7-10mm longer. If that makes sense to you with the leg length discrepancy?? As I am unfamiliar with that but read if it is too much of a discrepancy can lead to dislocation. Anyway it adds up it has to be fixed. I am in a lot of pain still. My back hurts, my leg is very unstable.

Back to the article under the Risk Factors and "Patient Factors" section- 6 paragraphs down the one that starts with "Other Identifiable risk factors include history of fractures, OSTEONECROSIS, or inflammatory arthropathy". Osteonecrosis is synonymous with Avascular Necrosis. Here is a link https://www.niams.nih.gov/health_info/Osteonecrosis/osteonecrosis_ff.asp and linking the article again https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2739467/
 
Thanks everyone. My surgery date is March 7th just got the call today. Will keep everyone posted.
 
Thinking about you! How frustrating to have to do this all over again. And the layers of worry, fear, and even guilt over the dislocation and revision. And it can be overwhelming! I had a failed hip repair (not THR), and I blamed myself even though it was only a band aid procedure. Even though it wasn't my fault....and just crummy bones.

Over the next couple of weeks of waiting....take great care of yourself!! Hang in there, and vent when you need to--we are here for the ups and downs.
 
Osteonecrosis is synonymous with Avascular Necrosis
Honey, I've been in orthopaedics since 1962 - I think I knew that probably before your mother was born! (just kidding, honestly!) :heehee:

I know you've been stressed out about it and now you've got your date, you can expect those stress levels to escalate some. But hold fast, you'll be so much better when it's all done. I promise you that. God bless you.
 
@AmBlocker So glad you got your date already! Worry not - you will be fine. We are here for you!
 
Lol! Josephine I know! Was definitely not insulting your orthopedic knowledge! Got me beat! Yeah I wasn't even thought of when you started ortho lol! I just like to always point out and back up my comments with articles & credible info websites it's a habit that my PhD mentors are drilling into my brain!

Thank you all for the support. I have 2 weeks to get myself ready and prepared and unfortunately 2 weeks in this stupid brace! But it'll get here sooner than I think I know!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Trying to catch up on some of the posts that I missed! So luckily for me I am at the point in my school career where I have a little bit of flexibility. I have so many sick days I can take and also have an AMAZING mentor and team. I will be missing at least a month of school then will ease back into it. I am at the research stage of my program working on thesis. Just got lucky in the instance of how this worked out. My surgeon said I would need 3 good weeks of down time with therapy and resting etc so ill miss all of the month of march (God willing no complications) I will lease back into my school stuff in april. I am not having both hips revised at once my dr said he would not do them at the same time and not within 3 months of each other. So with the leg lengthening I will get a lift put in my other shoe and then have my right hip revised probably closer to the end of the year or if I have some time to do it before that.

Thanks everyone once again for letting me vent and the kind words. Thanks @Josephine for everything as well. I will find out monday when my pre-op appointment is. Also I am on Humira injections an immunosuppressive to treat crohns disease and trying to track down my GI to work out that because I need to change my injection schedule for surgery but can't get in touch with him. So that is frustrating and my plan tomorrow is to get someone to get me him since it is urgent.
 
Josephine. So weary of hip. Can't sit on floor break 90 degree angle in fear of it dislocating again
As a special Ed preschool teacher with limited and restricted use of knee hip and shoulders it's s little concerning
Thanks always for listening
Susanne


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I am not having both hips revised at once
That would be standard practice as one never knows how a revision will go. There are a variety of things that can cause the surgery to take extra time so much better to pre-empt the risk of having a long anaesthetic/surgery.
 
I'll tell you guys this. My back hurts pretty bad. I'm on crutches but having to favor my left hip more with this brace on and I can feel that my right hip is starting to ache more now that it's having to carry a little more of the burden. Doing my best to rest as much as possible until surgery. My pre-op appointment is tomorrow!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Good luck with the pre op appointment ! Hang in there!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
I'll bet it is, honey! But a lot of that might be referred pain from your hip as well. Not long to go now ...
 
So my birthday was this past Monday and a good friend of mine got me this "hip gifts" today. Thought you all might like it (the grabber is awesome) and then one picture of a shirt I bought a couple months back.




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom