Guest viewing is limited

THR 3 weeks after THR (july 28, 14)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everybody,
just a quick update on my LHR, its been 2 months since surgery. So far everything is working out well. Still sleeping on my back (Nurse said I could sleep on stomach with pillow but so of afraid to. I decided to wait another month or 2) getting a good Solid 5-6 hours sleep so I'm ok with sleeping on my back.
legs are still swelling but I guess its expected for another couple of months.
Still using walker but am transitioning to cane. Cane walking is still hard but i'm using it more and more. Altho I think I using the walker more out of habit then I should.
No meds at all.

Major concerns

Starting to bend more and trying to pick up things off the floor and hip reminds me that I'm pushing the limits that I can bend. Got to get in my my head that just because its starting to look easier to bend and reach DOESN'T mean That it is.

Starting to get odd electrical pains in leg and back (Motor neurons firing? during sleep time. Not constant but it is disconcerting.

That's it for now!
 
Good 2 month report @whyme...hope the good bits just get better. I used one crutch until I was 6 months post op & have good gait & no limp...my body would not cooperate sooner!
And...oh yes....your body lets you know soon enough if it's not quite ready to bend, etc....if you leave it a few weeks & try again you may be surprised....! Those electric shocks do take you by surprise ......but they too will pass!! Xxx



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@whyme......patience is sometimes the most difficult part of recovery. But you are very wise to not try to be on some artificial time schedule. Your recovery is normal. And you're doing the right thing by listening to your body. You'll know when it's ready to move on to new activities. Hang in there!!!
 
Got to get in my my head that just because its starting to look easier to bend and reach DOESN'T mean that it is.
This is so true. You can try the golfer's reach if you have somewhere to hold on to when reaching.
[Bonesmart.org] 3 weeks after THR (july 28, 14)

Starting to get odd electrical pains in leg and back (Motor neurons firing? during sleep time.
No meds at all.
I think you answered your own question. This is still post op pain. Take something at night if you need it. Sleep is still very important!
 
Greetings everybody,

its been about 6 months since my left THR and I thought I give you a heads up as to what is going on. I'm starting to transition from cane to normal walking (as normal as it could be with a gimp ). walking to and from kitchen and bathroom and the rest with a cane. If my leg muscles were stronger I would be walking more.
SPOILER ALERT!!!!!
If you work (exercise) your muscles pre-op, your recovery and transition to walking will be quicker and easier. Don't do what I did and not exercise. The aching you have before your operation with make it easier to walk afterwards when you have the operation.

Pain wise, hardly any but there was some and most of it was from my body transitioning from emphasis on my right hip bearing most of my weight to a more even distribution. Still having problems with muscles aching but knowing that the muscles that are hurting are muscles that finally being used, I can definitely deal with them.

So, all in all, I been good and dealing with it. Any questions, feel free to ask.
 
@whyme good news on your progress! Long may it continue!
If you work (exercise) your muscles pre-op, your recovery and transition to walking will be quicker and easier. Don't
This may be the case but for some it is just impossible. That bone on bone pain can be very wicked!
 
Hi Jaycey,

I was bone on bone also and I agree some exercise can be near impossible but it would have done me a lot of good to start early strengthening my body and I still would advise to do any exercise that would help strengthen in the long run. perhaps I should have put in a caveat or link to the bone smart mantra if it hurts don't do it.

I had some pre op PT and I made a half-hearted attempt thinking it will be easy after the op. But I blew it off and now I realized that it was a mistake and made post op therapy harder than it has to be.

so my advise would be to ask your doc or pt therapist as to what exercise you can do without hurting yourself but do something
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom