THR 3 weeks after THR (july 28, 14)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Water keeps muscles lubricated and supple. It's great for your skin. It makes you have to get up and pee. It keeps your body from water rentention once it realizes that you are going to keep hydrated. After a nights sleep, you probably lose 24 oz just overnight. Please add it to your daily routine and be amazed at how much better you'll feel.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@bottomshollow, decided on a cat picture for the moment. Not happy with it but will keep looking for a more defining avatar. Like the picture but not the wording.
Saw yours and almost choose one but didn't feel right.
Thanks for the help
 
Maybe I can fix the cat picture to have no message---I'll see what I can do.
 
@beachgal, I drink about 4 cups of coffee, 2-3 glasses of Diet coke Caffine free, 2 glasses of sparkling ice (water drink with a little apple juice).
 
@whyme, here the pic for you. I have a great little program I downloaded off the internet that I use for these things--Photoshop is too complicated for me.

[Bonesmart.org] 3 weeks after THR (july 28, 14)
 
@beachgal, I drink about 4 cups of coffee, 2-3 glasses of Diet coke Caffine free, 2 glasses of sparkling ice (water drink with a little apple juice).

I would kindly suggest to limiting your coffee to 1 or 2 cups, lose the Diet Cokes, and get yourself a water bottle with ounces marked and keep a diligent record of how much water-only water-you consume. Ideally this should be spaced evenly throughout the day, stopping about two hours before bedtime so as not to make you have to use bathroom during your sleep. Radical change from your normal routine but you will be amazed at how differently you will feel and how your body responds.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgirl, before the surgery, I was trying to wean myself off of diet coke and had done a decent job of restricting it. But the THR screwed up by intake because of the sheer boredom of just sitting in one place all day. This being confined to the house got me into several bad habits; overeating, drinking too much dietcoke, and coffee. Now I do confess that I do drink at least 2-3 cups of good coffee, fresh brewed, from kenyan or sumatra coffee beans and that will probably never change but I got to get back into the good habits (like exercising, staying away from fatty foods and sweets) that i had before the surgery. The more mobile I become the more I can concentrate on builing up my good habits.
 
Agree,@whyme, but it's time to reign in some of those bad habits now!! Easier said than done, I know. I took off 40 lbs in the year prior to my THR, not knowing it was coming, so it was my good fortune to be lighter pre-op. In the course of my losing weight, I cut the carbonated drinks, increased my water intake considerably, cut carbs and sugar, increased protein and healthy veggies. Little did I know that this regime would prepare my body for a healthier recovery. It has been a remarkable journey thus far.

I'm only three days ahead of you! My surgery was 7/25. While I admit it has not been easy to sit and twiddle my fingers, I have not had the urge to return to snacking, etc except for frozen fruit bars. That seems to be my weakness! Still just 90 calories and no sugar.

Your wonderful coffee would not be a problem if you did the water thing. Just ponder my musings and see if it's something you can try.

Wishing you only the best!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal, Should have told you that about 2 years ago, I was 315lbs. Dropped to 250. took about a year and a half off (its hard work loosing weight) and promised myself that after recovery, I was going to drop to 200lbs after recovery. So I'm pretty confident that I can make my goal after recovery. One of my secrets to losing weight is to get my mind in the the right mindset and unfortunately, I'm not quite there yet. Mostly because I'm homebound
and sedentary lifestyle.
 
Totally understand. Losing weight is in your head and the results of that mental change just show up on the scales. You'll get there. At least try to drink more water, though. It really will help you immediately. Congrats on the weight loss and all the THR successes so far!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Woke up from a pretty decent night sleep of about 5-6 hours on my back. Think I'm getting used to sleeping on my back now so this weekend, I'm going to try for 8 hours.

Tried to use a cane but leg was not strong enough. Will try again next week.

Coming down with a cold. Just what I needed. Now I have new muscle aches and not sure if it is hip related or cold related.
 
Cramps.

Nobody told me there would be cramps.

Arrrggggghhhhhh!

I hate cramps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

woke up this morning with a cramp in my upper right thigh. I managed to rub and then walk it off.

And I had a good day yesterday.


I had pinch in my inner thigh this morning also. I jumped so quickly to stand up! yikes!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Did something real stupid this morning.

I looked at myself this morning in the mirror. I did not like what I saw. A fat , out of shape, old man. Now, I know that I put on a couple of pounds but I think I maybe lying to myself.
I promised my self that I would diet and excercise after the hip gets better. But I don't know if I can wait another month or two.
What information do we have on dieting while in recovery?
What information do we have on exercise (weight training)?
 
@whyme

I don't think you are ready of weight training just yet.
I have a mirror outside my bathroom also. (I always stare at my leg in amazement. it finally looks normal and even! )
I am excited to lose weight also but i think it is safe to say to focus on clean eating.
Are you scheduled for physical therapy? I believe physical therapy will provide you with elements to begin a regimen.
I'm excited that I'm starting aquatic therapy next week!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
also check out @Poppet link for food suggestions.
also I've reading a book called eat for your type. it is a eating plan is based on your blood type.
feel free to check out the site. dadamo.com


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Hi @whyme, I had a lot of anxiety about putting on weight too. Like you I had lost a lot of weight prior to my hip problems. Then coming up to the op I put on weight and following the operation.

I tried early to cut back and found myself exhausted and worn out. I waited another month and was careful in the mean time. I joined a slimming group and follow a healthy plan. Its not to drastic and ensures i eat pkenty fruit and veg. I have dropped about 10lbs of the 40lbs I now need to lose.

Just take it easy as you may put too much pressure on yourself that said eating healthily is important. I know that is easier said than done but you will know when you are ready to get back on your weight regime.
 
@whyme, are you going to PT? If so, they can help with gait training and then walking will eventually become more comfortable. I found that if I elevated in the recliner in between walking trips to the kitchen, bathroom, etc, I didn't have swelling. I had some muscle pain, but that's what happens when you're suddenly using muscles that have been inactive for a long while! It does get better with time. If you're still taking meds, try drinking a big glass of water with each dose- helps with water consumption and helps the pills to dissolve!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom