THR 3 weeks after THR (july 28, 14)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@PuppyLove, nope, no PT. just some home exercises. I do have a wife who is a rehab doc. so she gives me tips on how to walk.
 
Well, folks, Its been 1 month since my LTHR and I thought I bore y'all with my journey to wellness.

The pain is 99.8 percent gone but occasionally I get a soreness? dull ache? in my lower butt area where I imagine my implant is. My main pain complaint is in my groin/upper thigh area when I walk, even then is more of a level 1-2 that is not even worth taking a tylenol. This pain is driving me nuts because I keep thinking it might be from my implant (I am super-sensetive about dislocating my hip). My wife keeps telling me its from muscles that I haven't used but i'm not going to to happy until it goes away.

Still using my walker altho I am looking lustfully at my cane. Tried to walk a few steps but still not strong enough for it. I can't wait to use my cane.

Still have swelling but I understand that swelling can go on for another month.

Getting easier to get in and out of my bed even with "log legs", still sleeping on my back altho, I have been turning to my side (maybe a 45 degree angle) but enough to get comfortable. I know I could sleep on my side but choose not to. The neat thing about this is that I can use my legs(even my operated leg) to adjust my bed position.

Making myself coffee in the morning and setting up for my wife what I want for breakfast. My chores right now are confined to light kitchen work such as, making coffee, washing dishes and getting the mail.

I was able to get into my car without any difficulty so this weekend I'm going to try to make several short trips, church, bank, and see how it goes.
 
Well, folks, Its been 1 month since my LTHR and I thought I bore y'all with my journey to wellness.

Anyone who is bored is free to hit Next, give it to us.

Tell me more, tell me more..... :)

The pain is 99.8 percent gone but occasionally I get a soreness? dull ache? in my lower butt area where I imagine my implant is. My main pain complaint is in my groin/upper thigh area when I walk, even then is more of a level 1-2 that is not even worth taking a tylenol. This pain is driving me nuts because I keep thinking it might be from my implant (I am super-sensetive about dislocating my hip). My wife keeps telling me its from muscles that I haven't used but i'm not going to to happy until it goes away.
I have heard of a "tendonitis in that area" but thought this was more of an anterior approach side effect, while it sounds like you had the more common posterior THR.

Can you get ice to it? (A little tough up high in the crease of the groin like that I think)?

Have you mention this to the surgeon or the PA/Nurse?

Your are much tough than I am if you think it not even worth taking a Tylenol for a 2 every time you walk. Sure a 2 is a "just a 2" but when it is constantly nagging at you it really interferes with both your comfort and your concentration, and with enjoying all the progress.

Maybe you should rethink "not worth taking" vs. "driving me crazy"?

A 2 can drive ANYONE crazy if it is persistent enough, and frequently it's hard to explain to people that even though it doesn't hurt BADLY it just wont leave you alone.

Still using my walker altho I am looking lustfully at my cane. Tried to walk a few steps but still not strong enough for it. I can't wait to use my cane.

Still have swelling but I understand that swelling can go on for another month.
Getting easier to get in and out of my bed even with "log legs", still sleeping on my back altho, I have been turning to my side (maybe a 45 degree angle) but enough to get comfortable. I know I could sleep on my side but choose not to. The neat thing about this is that I can use my legs(even my operated leg) to adjust my bed position.
Personally, I am a side sleeper so having to sleep on my back or even on my 'other side' is terribly annoying, small in the grand scheme but still irritating.

It's amazing how much easier things get for you when you can again push or even just stabilize with the procedure leg.
Making myself coffee in the morning and setting up for my wife what I want for breakfast. My chores right now are confined to light kitchen work such as, making coffee, washing dishes and getting the mail.
:) :) Dude, washing dishes is WAY too difficult, I think you should hold off on that particular exercise for a while :) :)

But the chance to do something and be a bit independent is really heartening isn't it?
I was able to get into my car without any difficulty so this weekend I'm going to try to make several short trips, church, bank, and see how it goes.
[/QUOTE]
That's great, I take it you mean as a passenger.

How are these short trips when you need to walk into church or some other place?

It's amazing how WIDE a road or driveway looks when you have to use a walker or a cane.

How the heck did this parking lot get way over in the NEXT COUNTY?

I wonder if I should have packed a CANTEEN for this walk across the Mohave Desert? (summer in Arkansas is not that much different than summer in central Texas I bet.)
 
@HerbM, Wife is a peds rehab doc so I'm comfortable in taking her advice and she thinks it more a muscle ache than anything else.
As to a lvl 2 pain. Its not a constant just when I walk or exercise. Dealt with bone on bone for a while so this is a cake walk for me.

No. I'm planning on driving my car. Not far, maybe a mile or two, just enough to make me feel independent. Doc said that I could drive at 5-6 weeks. As long as I'm not drugged up. I only take oxy at bed time and I'm seriously thinking about stopping it. (Using it more for the sleep effect at night "very light sleeper"). Will start tonight and see how it goes.

Nah, dishes aren't hard work, so far. most of the dishes go into the dishwasher (son or wife takes care of the dishwasher part) but coffeepot, skillet, are easy to clean so no biggie.
 
@whyme , have you thought about progressing from your walker to crutches, then one crutch then a cane? I found one crutch much more stable than a cane - in fact never used one.

You may indeed still need pain meds. Pain control is still important. Don't be too quick to ease off. When you start forgetting doses that's your signal that it's time to reduce your meds.
 
You also can try two canes. I did that for my first post-op walk on day 2 last week.

My issue after the hip surgery was almost immediately the limitation of my knees -- the original problem.

So since both knees are jacked, I took two canes on that walk. Don't REALLY need even one but having both for a good sized walk (5/8 mile) was a tremendous benefit.

Unsolicited Advice about driving: First time out, act like you are teaching a kid to drive. Get positive control. Let the car roll gently, stop it. Let it roll a little more, hard stop it. prove that you have control before you move very far or very fast.

I too have been taking VERY LITTLE narco, but agree with the advice of not backing off too soon.

This is not only due to the very common (and standard BoneSmart) advice to "stay ahead of the pain" but also my own limited experience. My surgeon also agreed immediately and fully.

I am mostly taking narco at bedtime, not quite for the sleeping effect, but to FEEL a LITTLE more PERFECT so that sleep is peaceful and fully restful (no tossing or turning, no waking up uncomfortable).

Maybe a little for the direct sleep aid effect, but most for the above -- the surgeon was ADAMANT this was a good and proper use of the pills.

"Hey, I someone tore out a hunk of your body. I was in there grinding, cutting, drilling, and hammering so of course you can use it to feel a bit better." It doesn't need to be "pain only". We are NOT using it recreationally even if there is no actual or specific pain.

We are using it to allow our bodies to heal.

I am back at work for the first day today, and so far have been stuck in my chair for 5 hours so I am actually thinking about taking 1 to "feel a little better". Not that I don't feel ok, but my body is a LITTLE TIRED.

First I am going to get up to walk a little. Then see how I feel.

This is the first day I haven't been REAL ACTIVE, and likely the longest period of inactivity so far. Glad you post caused me to think that through.

Not everyone is as lucky as I've been to be ABLE to be so active but my TAKING ADVANTAGE of the opportunity keep active has probably been like a feed forward loop helping me improve even faster. We might say, "Activity Leads to Activity" (as long as you don't overdo it.)

All my life (since puberty), I have been involved in sports, army, martial arts, and several jobs where pushing myself to keep going longer than most of us though possible was just part of the activity.

What you learn in that is NOT 'how to go on forever' but rather 'how to see your TRUE LIMITS and stop just short of them' or stop while you still have resources to withdraw, turnback, go home, etc. It's a tricky thing but also a surprisingly learnable skill.

In one job I had, it was common for me to be up for 48 hours and I did 65 hours a couple of times -- had to be able to not only stay awake but to do advanced math, make engineering decisions, and explain all this to customers (oil company reps) so they would take action and then go direct the oil drilling crews to do the work.

No big deal, but it meant knowing how far you can go, using your resources down to the nub but always protecting them when you didn't know what was in store. A lot of it is built on belief, knowing you can go on frequently means you CAN go on (until you can't :) )

Kidding about dishes -- trying to give you an excuse to avoid them (*I* don't like doing dishes :) )

Keep improving.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
And also I have using the "aviator's rule": 8 hours bottle to throttle.

The idea is to avoid operating motor vehicles and heavy machinery for (at least) 8 hours if you drink or take drugs that might impair your abilities -- no matter how "ok" you feel.
 
@Jaycey regarding meds, I having been forgetting my meds so I agree that if you forget you meds you probably don't need them. If I needed the meds, I would probably be watching the clock as to when I could take another. Another sign for me is when I grab a tylenol because a oxy/hydro would be overkill for my pain. We'll see what happens tonight. I'm going to skip my usual nighttime usage and have it as a backup if needed.
 
@HerbM, regarding meds, I having been forgetting my meds so I agree that if you forget you meds you probably don't need them. If I needed the meds, I would probably be watching the clock as to when I could take another. Another sign for me is when I grab a tylenol because a oxy/hydro would be overkill for my pain. We'll see what happens tonight. I'm going to skip my usual nighttime usage and have it as a backup if needed.

Your comment on driving, rings true, so I'm waiting for another week and drive on the weekend when traffic won't be so bad. I am thinking that a little driving will be theraputic but too much will be hazardous.
 
If you are forgetting you meds you don't need them URGENTLY for CURRENT PAIN.

You can however forget them just like your blood pressure or other important meds if you only need them to feel a little better so you can feel good while doing activities or sleeping etc.

I literally did what you said on the 4th and 5th nights post op, deferred the meds at bed time but ended up getting up and taking them later. It wasn't pain, but I didn't feel REALLY COMFORTABLE lying in my PERFECT BED.

Also, I am sleeping "quick" -- sleeping so well that 4-5 hours is plenty for the most part, especially if I catch 1-2 hour nap to go with it.

I was lucky on the driving thing the first time. My wife got tired and went to take a nap when I wanted to go to our Y which is VERY close by, and it was Saturday. So I cruised on down being extra careful and there was very little traffic. Did it again on Sunday even driving my wife because it was easier.

All I meant about taking it easy was to find a quiet street, driveway or parking lot and give yourself a "quick lesson" to prove you can move correctly and quickly enough. For me it was not an issue but I did the due diligence anyway.
 
@HerbM,
tried to go to sleep last night w/o any meds. That was a mistake. I tossed and turned for couple hours to get into "that comfortable position" but couldn't. Took a oxy and finally got to sleep around 330am. HerbM, you were right.

I did notice 2 odd pains Lvl 1-2.
First one was a antsy, squirmy feeling around the base of my spine (it went away after some squirming and wiggling of my hip and back) and I'm wondering what that was. Anybody have an idea?
second one is in the area of my glut max, just a tad over my incision but feels deeper (dull achy pain like a muscle burn but I can't localize it) so I'm not sure what that is. Anybody have any ideas?
 
@HerbM,
tried to go to sleep last night w/o any meds. That was a mistake. I tossed and turned for couple hours to get into "that comfortable position" but couldn't. Took a oxy and finally got to sleep around 330am. HerbM, you were right.

I did notice 2 odd pains Lvl 1-2.
First one was a antsy, squirmy feeling around the base of my spine (it went away after some squirming and wiggling of my hip and back) and I'm wondering what that was. Anybody have an idea?
second one is in the area of my glut max, just a tad over my incision but feels deeper (dull achy pain like a muscle burn but I can't localize it) so I'm not sure what that is. Anybody have any ideas?

In the first paragraph, that sounds exactly like what I experienced the two nights I skipped meds. The meds aren't necessary but the doc says that this is OK (and everybody here agrees) so I will take them at least a few more days.

I don't MIND taking them, but at first felt like it might be abusing them. Pretty much like drinking a couple of beers before bed (though I am NOT DRINKING at all.) Doing it to "feel good" sort of SOUNDS wrong but isn't.

Not sure about your gluteus but two ideas (maybe 3):

1) Could be similar to what I experiences as "dull aching of my femur head" (though that ended for me with the replacement hip).

2) "like a muscle burn" -- Either residual or new irritation in the sciatic nerve which runs through a channel I perceive as being along a margin of the gluteus maximum. If I am interpreting this correctly (and no doc nor massage therapist has disagreed) the irritation, inflammation, or other trauma to that nerve can produce either a localized pain, burn, electric, etc. or even more sorts all the way down the leg and even in the front or up to the spine.

My guess is this is the source. It sounds like what I get (although always difference because of the diversity of sensations and apparent locations that sciatic nerve can generate.)
 
It's post op pain and can be managed by your pain meds. Your body is obviously not ready to go it alone without your night time meds. If it were me I would continue with those meds for now. Sleep is very important in this process.
 
I agree, for me, other than the word "pain", that is pretty much the way that it seems.

Mine is definitely NOT pain in any sense of the word, not even the '1' I use for something that 'almost hurts' or is a 'warning that pain may follow'.
 
Sept 3

well, its been 5 weeks (Jul 28, 2014) since the operation (THR) and its been about a week since I last jotted sown some notes on my recovery.

Good things

walking is getting better but still have an issue with raising my hip so I'm gimping still.
can stand and make coffee and breakfast for myself.
got into my car and drove to go out for dinner 2x.
I drive with somebody in the car with the instruction that if I not driving properly or they notice I have problems to tell me to stop and switch positions. ( I won't go by myself yet.)
still sleeping on my back but easier to get in and out of bed.
difficult to fall asleep but once I do, its more rest full. 5 hours was my longest sleep time but its getting more frequent with longer periods of sleep.

I'll work on the bad things tomorrow
 
Sept 3, pt 2

bad things

legs are still swelling,
laying on my back but I found the sweet spot so I been getting some decent hours.
sore muscles, some haven't worked for a while.
having to rely on my walker, leg isn't strong enough to be on a cane. even thought i tried twice. it will be soon.
 
Are you elevating your legs during the day? That may help with the swelling. I had the sore muscle problem. Some of them needed to wake up as they had been sleeping for quite a while. I also had to "relearn" how to walk with a proper gait, which can be tiring in itself. Hang in there!
 
My leg & knee swelled for some time after any activity @whyme.....I used one elbow crutch for 6 months due to limp & bad gait and I walk great now....didn't find a cane very useful as it didn't provide sufficient support...and those sore muscles will get better....in time! X


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Wondering how you are doing @whyme
Do hope that swelling has stopped & you are feeling better.....xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom