> 3 months out and sleep is terrible

Status
Not open for further replies.
So happy it's going so well for you!

That's great about the scar, wish mine was on my bikini line- but I have other scars anyway, gives me character I say! [emoji39] But yay for hidden scars. Mine goes straight up and down my thigh- interesting how all doctors have different approaches to the same approach! Lol

I know it will all go great for you and then you can start getting back to some normalcy, I keep pinching myself at how good I feel now.

The energy drain will be your body working to heal as well as the meds and low bp- rest and know it's all working as it should! Energy will return!

Will be thinking of you tomorrow while I'm working (boring lol) [emoji4][emoji106]


Candice - 29 year old from Aus
RTHR 1 June 2016 LTHR 13 July 2016 Revision of LTHR 12 October 2016.
 
Hi everyone.

Everything went well with the op but i have been experiencing 10 level pain. There has been many tears, many more meds and something does not feel right.

Apparently the op was much easier than my other hip, as my surgeon told my husband.

The pain feels like bone pain not muscle pain. It is a deep and strong ache. They have put me on 15mg of Endone, I am on Fentanyl, and they are about to hit me with codeine. I am not sure what to do...


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@JMACCA - so sorry to hear this. I had sudden deep pain with my second too, but they hit it with morphine and that quickly did the trick. Can you tolerate it I wonder? Worth asking. I wonder how long ago they adjusted the drugs - I'm picking this up about an hour and a half after you posted. Is there any change yet? Are they also supplying ice? Thinking of you.
 
I assume you are still in the hospital? Staff will work to get this under control if that's where you are. Sounds like unmanaged post op pain!
 
Oh no, so sorry to hear you are in pain. I was post op #2 also but this was due to insufficient meds (no Panadol osteo is not enough thank you nurse).

Hope they've gotten it under control. Once it gets ahead of you it can be harder to get it back under control so hope the staff are being proactive. Make sure you keep on them.

Thinking of you


Candice - 29 year old from Aus
RTHR 1 June 2016 LTHR 13 July 2016 Revision of LTHR 12 October 2016.
 
Dear @JMACCA, sincerely hope by now the pain has been controlled and you have some idea why this has happened. Fentanyl is extremely heavy duty, so let's pray it did the trick. Are you receiving a slow release opiate like Targen twice a day? This can be used as the basis for pain relief, with fast release Endone for 'bridging' any break out pain. Am wondering if you had a spinal block or not for surgery?

I hope this setback soon rights itself and you are on the road to recovery. You were doing so well. Thinking of you. xx
 
Hope things have improved and your feeling better and up and about more!


Candice - 29 year old from Aus
RTHR 1 June 2016 LTHR 13 July 2016 Revision of LTHR 12 October 2016.
 
Hope you are feeling better today and the pain is under control just keep telling them if not. Keep going and letting us know how you get on.
 
Sorry for my lousy update schedule! After spending 6 days in hospital with a couple of 10 pain nights, I am now 5 days into rehab and going home in 4 days.

My left leg is still giving me grief. I have had a temp that spikes every now and then, I have had blood work and cultures done which are clear. The doctors and nurses at hospital have all told me that this is most likely due to the extra pushing and pulling that was done and the fact that I had a bone graft as well. I wasn't aware that I had a bone graft and I am not sure what this is, why it is done and where it was done - @Josephine, I am wondering if you could share some information on bone grafts and why they are done.

It appears that 10 days post surgery is the magic amount of time for me to start feeling normal. Despite the pain, I am feeling amazing and every day is an absolute blessing! Each day I feel stronger, more able and confident.

I was very reluctant to go to rehab, thinking that I would be fine at home - but I have to say it is amazing. Just going to physio each day is incredible. I was sceptical of physio's as they haven't done much for me in the past but they have been a huge help and I have really changed my thinking. My body feels great after physio and I look forward to doing my exercises every day.

This has truly been a life changing experience. Not only having 2 x THR but also watching and meeting amazing people - nurses, physio's, and people that are working hard to participate in the world (i.e. people who have had THR's, TKR's, strokes and other injuries). There are just so many beautiful people around! So many stories, so many people trying their darndest to be able to do the simple things in life. This experience has taught me that we need others to get better and do better. Being independent is not always a good thing, and can hinder you somewhat.

I am off for a snooze now....:sleep:
 
Great update, Juanita! It sounds like you are doing well. I'm so glad you have had such a positive experience at the rehab facility! It is very true that there are times when we are dependent, and there is nothing that can change that except for time and healing. It's best if we can accept that gracefully and make sure we have plans in place ahead of time, if possible. I can only say good things about my experience in rehab, which was for 14 days. It was terrific for me because if I had gone home, I know I would have overdone things, and being there forced me to rest most of the time, and when I was up and about, to do the 20 pound weight-bearing correctly, without cheating. It didn't hurt that the food was pretty good; the facility was clean and attractive; nursing and support staff were excellent and responsive; and I could spend time outside each day in one of their gardens. The PT people were good, too, although I wasn't allowed to do much. It was more to help the rest of my body, other than my operative hip, to get stronger.
 
I am now 5 days into rehab. My left leg is still giving me grief. I have had a temp that spikes every now and then, I have had blood work and cultures done which are clear. The doctors and nurses at hospital have all told me that this is most likely due to the extra pushing and pulling that was done and the fact that I had a bone graft as well. I wasn't aware that I had a bone graft and I am not sure what this is, why it is done and where it was done
I think the excuse of the 'pushing and pulling' is just that - an excuse! They say things like that because they can't think of anything else intelligent to say about it!

The bone graft used in a hip replacement is quite routine but they should have planned for it and told you about it beforehand. Instead it seems like they discovered it was needed during the procedure and somehow forgot to tell you about it afterwards.

You can read about the bone graft here Bone grafts and hip replacements.

It would be perfectly in order for you to ask why the extra bone was required. It is, after all, your hip and you have a right to know!
It appears that 10 days post surgery is the magic amount of time for me to start feeling normal.
And who told you that little gem? In my experience, it's more like 2-4 weeks!
 
Hi @JMACCA, good to hear you are almost at the end of your marathon and am sure you'll be very glad to get home finally. How many days have you been away altogether? It has certainly been an important life event for you (as it is for us all) but for you in particular with two surgeries back to back. Glad you are well cared for and getting the right support. Those daily goals and improvements are very motivating for sure!
 
Glad you are doing well after some rough moments. You certainly have a positive attitude despite it all. Keep us posted as you continue your progress through recovery.
 
So glad you are done and going home soon. Hopefully, your temp stays down and that left leg gets better.:)
 
@JMACCA - gosh Juanita what a relief to hear from you. Was so glad to read this update but sorry you experienced such pain and really hope things are more under control now. It sounds like rehab had been a happy experience for you and good buffer between hospital and home. Will look forward to more updates - stay well, and positive :friends:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom