> 3 months out and sleep is terrible

Status
Not open for further replies.
@JMACCA I am glad that you will be going home soon. Always more comfortable there.
Sorry you had a rough time postop. I had more difficulty with him number 2 also. But tincture of time makes all the difference in recovery. I remember thinking that I was sure glad the first surgery was easier otherwise, I would have waited to have hip number 2 done! So you are all finished. Keep up the positive outlook!
 
So how are you doing now @JMACCA? Do you feel things are improving, is pain controlled, are you more comfortable and have you taken in-board Josephine's comment that 10 days is unrealistic?
Do update when you can - we really do care :console2:
 
Hi all!

Well here I am 27 days post my last surgery and still taking it easy. All up I was 28 days away from home - it felt like such a long time.

I am doing great, getting lots of sleep and not needing additional pain meds during the day. I am taking Targin in the morning and night and that seems to be seeing me through.

I am in a bit of limbo at the moment - not quite sure what to do with myself. It has been many years since I have been able to 'do things' I am not quite sure what to do with myself. Anyone else experience that? I am still using the walker in the house - simply because it is easy, it has a tray to carry things, but I am not sure if I should be making it 'harder' by using the crutches instead. It's kinda like I don't know what the next steps are.

I have been walking outside with crutches - only about 100 metres - but that seems enough. It is flat but with a slight incline. Do you think it is enough? I have made a physio appointment for Friday as I think I just need a bit of direction and help to work out how far I can push myself - I think it always helps to have someone to say, yes you can bend that far, yes you can do X.

Some of my meds will be finishing in the next couple of days, do I ask for more? Or do I see what it is like without them. I find it interesting being in a place with no help / direction on what I should do.

There is no hip pain - it is wonderful!! However now all I feel is weak muscles that seem to be having a hard time working out what they should do. That is where all the discomfort is coming from. My left side is the worse (where I had the bone graft and the groin strain) and it makes my left knee sore.

And who told you that little gem? In my experience, it's more like 2-4 weeks!

Sorry - I should have made myself clear here. That was my experience in relation to when I felt good enough to read and think without the grogginess. It was the same amount of time for the first and second hip.
 
Hi @JMACCA, great to hear from you after your marathon effort with two hips replaced consecutively. Phew. I'm not surprised you are a feeling a little in limbo - you are probably a bit stunned I imagine that it's all finally happened, and actually over. This phase (aftershock?) is likely just a natural mental and physical processing, it's been an intense time for you. Just approach all that you do with care. I think I'd be trying out your crutches now. Going by my own experience, I wasn't given a walker, just 2 crutches. I was encouraged to get off the two crutches and onto one at day 7. But I just tried that around the house, and if out somewhere I used both because I didn't want to affect my gait by listing/leaning until I was truly ready. It was handy being on one crutch in the house as I could carry my cuppa/survival bag/lunch in the other hand!

Practice your walking to the extent that you are comfortable, and just gradually increase each day if you can. I would walk up and down a longish garden path with two crutches, then the next day do it twice etc. If you don't feel like it, don't make yourself do it. There is no rush.

You may find the physio will give you a surprisingly challenging schedule, just be wary. Always err on the side of conservative. We trust these people, believing they know what they are doing! But they don't always. On the PT's second visit he made me lose both crutches, walk with a cane for 8 steps, said I'd mastered that then had me walking on an incline without crutches for a return trip of at least 400 metres. All before week 3 anniversary, all in the one visit. I blithely followed what he said. I found I could do it, so it gave me some confidence but I suffered that night, and for two weeks took no exercise (even walking) and told him not to come back! He had also insisted I discard both crutches during week three. NO WAY. Please don't do bridge exercises - (as I was made to do) they're dangerous for anterior approach. My PT also at week 3 wanted me to use bands around knees to make exercises harder, and extend each leg out from bridge. Doing bridge this was something I found hard and dangerous for the back (let alone new hip) even when I was fit. There are more tales of horror from that PT experience, won't bore you further!

Most definitely get to your GP pronto and get a back-up script filled. Do not on any account run out of your meds. I don't want to give medical advice, but my own experience was this:

I just tapered off the meds gradually. I asked my GP for 'lesser value' Targin, 15mg and 10mg (because you shouldn't physically split the slow release tablets in half). This way I could tailor things. Only you will know what your body needs. I was quite religious with the meds and could probably have reduced earlier. But the meds help the healing process by keeping us comfortable, so I wasn't in a rush. My GP recommended staying on over-the-counter Panadol four times a day and having that as the last med to come off. I think this is pretty standard medical protocol. Sorry, Josephine, if I'm overstepping the parameters by talking about this.

We have probably all experienced this sense of 'what now' - and 'what do I do' - THR recovery is not within our normal range of experience, and most of us have nothing personal to draw upon. While it is great having the forum, each journey differs wildly. You will have your own pace, your own expectations, your own needs for care, your own limits.

Take care, let us know how it all goes.
 
@JMACCA we haven't heard from you in awhile. How are you doing these days? Just checking!
 
I was encouraged to get off the two crutches and onto one at day 7.

Oh I simply couldn't imagine getting to one crutch after day 7! That is amazing. I certainly feel slower than the 'pack'. I am still using the walker around the house - lightly pushing it rather than leaning on it - it is more for ease of carrying things rather than using the crutches. I use two crutches while I am out and about. I am trying little tiny steps around the house without the walker when I am feeling good.

I have been told that I am about 3 weeks behind because of the stupid muscle strain that I had. The new physio exercises are helping and I got into the pool yesterday - it was heaven! Next week I return to work. I am so glad that I am working from home for at least the next 2 weeks, I couldn't imagine going into the office (an hour by train) at the moment.

I just tapered off the meds gradually. I asked my GP for 'lesser value' Targin, 15mg and 10mg (because you shouldn't physically split the slow release tablets in half).

I am on Targin 30 - morning and night, but I have just been taking it at night. Endone, just when I need it (i.e. after the pool work yesterday).

I just feel so behind - like I am not where I am meant to be - it has been two months since the first op and 6 weeks since the second. I am still on two crutches. If I don't use crutches I walk with a limp unless I walk really slow and with focus. I am not sure what else I should be doing. It is definitely muscular, like I don't have muscle strength, should I practice more around the house without the walker? Maybe I am simply not being brave enough, the muscle strain I had did scare me, but I also know that I feel much better the day after doing the physio exercises, walk or go to the pool (never all in the same day!).

we haven't heard from you in awhile. How are you doing these days? Just checking!

@Jaycey and @Miss Muffet, thank you so much for checking in on me!! It really means a lot. I have been super lonely, and I feel horribly house bound and quite flat at the moment.
 
@JMACCA hi there so glad you came back on. You seem a bit down but honestly you are doing really well especially as you had both hips done and are only 8 weeks post op. It's early days yet so don't worry about how far to push yourself. Your hips will tell you when you've done enough. I find this forum helps me through the blue days so try and come on a bit more often as talking to others might cheer you up a bit. I am 10 weeks post op so not so far in front of you and am only just beginning to feel normal again. We all recover differently and I don't think you are behind at all!!!! You are just you and you have had major surgery and your body has got to have time to heal and adjust - it will do that in it's own sweet time. LOL ! Keep smiling you are doing great . Never feel alone we are only a click away. Carol:friends:
 
I certainly feel slower than the 'pack'.
My friend you are not slower than anyone. Each and every THR recovery is different and you are recovering from 2 major surgeries in a short space of time.
Next week I return to work.
I wish you could wait a bit longer but if you much get back to work please do pace yourself. Still lots of healing going on and there is still energy drain.
Maybe I am simply not being brave enough, the muscle strain I had did scare me
There is no toughing out this recovery. If you are limping then you need to stick with your walker or crutches until you can walk confidently without any limp. It will come! Just keep trying.

You are doing great @JMACCA ! Be good to yourself!
 
@JMACCA - so glad to hear back from you. Please don't get too down. You've been through a lot and yet your earlier email said you felt you were "doing great, getting lots of sleep and not needing additional pain meds during the day". I know you feel you should be further ahead, but personally I think you're expecting a lot of yourself. You mustn't compare your situation with others, though I know it is natural to want to check how you are faring by using others as a barometer. I had my hip Ops spread over several months (not weeks, like you) and the latest was a little while ahead of your second, so you've had a lot done in a concentrated period of time. I also tried cutting down on my meds but have found that I still do need them as I get very stiff and sore sometimes - especially after activity. That was disappointing as I wanted to ditch the lot, but I had a talk with myself and accepted that clearly my body was asking for help and when I gave it that help it thanked me. The meds are there for a reason and when we need them we need them. It is interesting that you say you needed more meds after your poolwork. I hope you're not pushing it in the pool or at PT. It is very easy when you feel practically weightless to do more than you should and then pay for it later. Your mobility will improve over a period of time, so be encouraged by what we say and try to accept that you will get there, it is just that our recoveries don't always happen at a specific, measurable rate. In the meantime, try and occupy yourself at home with relaxing activities that take your mind off things - and don't panic, you will get there. :friends:
 
Just another thought. If you don't feel ready for a return to work can you GP provide you with a note which extends your break? You should, at least, have a phased return and certainly if you don't feel up to it.
 
Hello @JMACCA! I was just catching up on your thread. So glad to see you are going well. You are not slow at all, my two ops were completely different t with healing well after 6 weeks on the first and then taking three months to feel not even the same level for the second. As others have said, just pace yourself and keep doing what your doing. Slowly does it, rushing will do more harm than good.
I would say If you are still limping then the muscles are still healing and learning their new positions. Keep with the walker and crutches as you have and when you feel comfortable go without them you will know yourself.
So glad you are on the other side. Honestly it will be winter and you will be getting around so much more and feeling great and you won't know where the time went, I swear the second half of 2016 went by in a flash for me. Just keep trucking and you'll get there!


Candice - 29 year old from Aus
RTHR 1 June 2016 LTHR 13 July 2016 Revision of LTHR 12 October 2016.
 
Hello again @JMACCA - would love to know how you are getting on. Did you return to work or have you been given a little more time, or even a phased return? We would all love news from you. Do update when you get a chance. :friends:
 
Hi there lovely people...it seems like I haven't been on here for AGES!! I have been adjusting returning to work. I have A LOT to catch up on!!

The last two weeks I have been going into the office once a week - and it completely exhausts me!! The tiredness is phenomenal. I can barely make it to 3.00 in the afternoon.

It is a really interesting feeling tiredness with a splash of nausea! Last week I came home and immediately went to bed and slept for 2 hours.

I am working full-time and I get SO much more done when I am remotely working from home. When I am in the office I am dragging myself around in a fog. I have a 1.5 commute both ways and it sucker punches me. The next day I sleep all day. When I work from home I don't need anywhere near as much rest.

Should I be feeling this tired this far out from surgery??? Should I be worried?


I am doing gentle pilates each week - it is absolutely wonderful!!
 
Hi @JMACCA ,
Not at all. There is nothing to worry about. You're perfectly normal. Your tiredness may not even be hip related. I can tell from experience, and you can also read this in the press, that commuting to work (I take it you go to work by car) is extremely unhealthy in the long run.

I'm almost 2 years out from my surgery. During my rehab - 3 1/2 weeks in a rehab centre rand 2 weeks at home, I was healthy and fit and well focussed on everyday life and the challenges that faced me. Then I returned to work. Especially last November and December then, my husband was wondering why I was so lethargic after work. InGermany, that was the autumn of course. Now that spring is coming, things are getting better again because we're getting more daylight. In Australia it's the other way round - I take it, the fact that days are getting shorter could contribute to tiredness.

Could you work from home more? Unfortunately, I don't have that option.

All the best
 
Should I be feeling this tired this far out from surgery??? Should I be worried?
Not at all. You had 2 major surgeries in a very short space of time. This is just the energy drain that comes with recovery. Please try and take it easy - don't add to your work days with any other activities. Just come home and rest. This will ease with time but unfortunately you can't fight energy drain.
 
I consider myself to be doing very well, but I didn't mention in my recovery thread that I still get some fatigue. The energy level is good most of the time, but it was very difficult for me to stay up last night to watch the Oscars, even though I took a nap during the day and didn't do much other than my usual home PT. You had two surgeries, not just one, and if I think back a few weeks to where I was a little less than three months out, I had quite a bit of energy drain.

I think that you can expect improvement in the coming weeks, but I wouldn't push myself.
 
Wonderful to hear from you. Don't be so hard on yourself - as Jaycey says you've had two wolloping surgeries weeks apart and only a few weeks ago. @Constanze is right travelling is stressful and tiring so I'm not at all surprised you feel worn out after you've had a day at work plus travel. It will ease but in the meantime I'm so glad you can work from home - can they be persuaded to let you do more of that I wonder?
 
Work has been terrific..., I work had from home and the days I am in the office is disruption after disruption. Because of my output, work has no issue with me being at home. I am very fortunate.

Pilates has been incredible - I have started doing it twice a week for the past couple of weeks and it has made a significant difference. I feel much stronger and my energy levels have picked up significantly. I have started taking iron again and have reduced my meds - I think that my meds were the real problem with me getting tired at work. I now take panadol oseto during the day and targin only when needed.

Yesterday I did 2 hours in the garden - it was amazing! I was even using the chainsaw. I find though, on the days that I exercise, I get really bad 'zaps' in my quads (more on the sides of my quads), like electric shocks, that keep me from sleeping. I only got about 3 hours sleep last night. So, I think I over did it in the garden, and my little nerve endings were firing all over the place. Anyone else get that??

I miss being on here so much and I really want to give back to others as people have given support to me. As I adjust to new life, new amazing life, know that I am thinking of you all!
 
So, I think I over did it in the garden, and my little nerve endings were firing all over the place. Anyone else get that??
Yes,, I remember the zaps post LTHR. Gentle stretches helped a bit. But you are right - sounds like you over did it a bit. Ease into any activity and give yourself time to rest afterwards.

Sounds like you are doing great!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom