Spine 3 level ACDF recovery

I had the MRI but do not know the results. I also went for the EMG and NCS but that Dr only did the NCS (nerve conduction study) so I need to have it re-done but I chose to go to a different doctor. That appointment is in 3 weeks. They are checking to see if I have carpal tunnel syndrome and/or something wrong with the ulnar.
 
So sorry that you are still waiting for answers, @Grammy57.

If it was me, I was ask for copies of the reports from the MRI and NCS. The information is yours, so you have the right to it under federal law.
 
Catching up with you Granny. It's been quite a journey for you. I agree with canceling the chiro. The minute there is movement in the neck, I don't want anyone touching it who can't see the mechanics of what happens inside!
Do the doctors you are seeing have a patient portal? That's where all my test results show up and it allows other doctors to access them.
How many levels in the neck are they talking about fusing? They discussed 3 for me, then decided to go with one and see how it went - I apparently have had enough stabilization with that and am most grateful it was sufficient. Mine was a cage inserted front the front and rod and screws inserted from the back; likewise with my lumbar fusion.
I do hope you get some clear guidance soon and relief!
 
@NightQuilter Thank you. They are only talking about 1 level C7/T1. I had 3 levels done not quite 3 years ago and wedges put in 2 years ago. They say it is sliding there. I have a CD of the MRI but not a report. I can request one, I suppose. The Dr does not have a patient portal (the one who ordered the MRI). I have a question, the Dr that said no surgery wants me to have an MRI of cervical and thoracic. Why would he want this if he thinks surgery won't help? I know you can't really say why, but what do you think?
 
Hi Granny. Frist, understand I have no medical training whatsoever; my observations are purely from my own experiences/circumstances and conversations with my own surgeon. My guess is that he may want them to benchmark where you are at this point. And it may be that they have developed new techniques for treatment other than surgery. Or it may give them insight as to whether a rhizotomy might be a way to deal with the pain. (My daughter has had several successful ones to delay her eventual need for a lumbar fusion.)

This is a question to ask your doctor - there are so many variables. Good luck - I hope it yields some good solutions for you.
 
@NightQuilter thank you. I knew when I asked that it would only be your opinion from experience and observation. I just read my MRI report and it says I have uncovertebral joint hypertrophy at C7/T1. I was told that the x-ray shows dynamic instability at the C7/T1 level and anterolisthesis at the C7/T1 level measures 1.7 mm on extension and 3.6 mm on flexion views.
 
Hmmm. Those technical terms translate (thank you Google) to enlarged joints causing inflammation and pain, "dynamic instability" was when they decided it was time for my lumbar fusion for spondylolisthesis - anterolisthesis is also described as the movement of one vertebra forward or backward of the one next to it. I don't know what the measurements mean, unless they are just for getting a set point for now. Great questions for your doctor and why they aren't thinking of stabilizing.
 
@NightQuilter I think that is why the first surgeon is recommending the laminectomy and the 2nd is still deciding but had mentioned laminectomy also. Somewhere in the report from the myelogram spondylolisthesis was mentioned. I took the measurements to mean how much the vertebrae was actually moving. I think the reason the 2nd surgeon didn't immediately recommend surgery was because of my hands spasming and he ordered the EMG. I'm not sure if it will make any difference or not if my vertebrae are actually moving.
 
Well, I had the EMG/NCS done last week. I had a zoom appointment with the spine doctor today. He says that I have moderate to severe carpal tunnel and cubital tunnel syndrome. He said that he thinks surgery to release those nerves will help my arm/hand issues but not my back. But, he says at this time he feels the benefits of surgery do not outweigh the risks. He said let him know if the back pain gets worse. I think part of the issue is how fast my spine got worse after the first surgery. I have an appointment with a hand specialist on Friday.
 
I'm sorry that the spine doctor doesn't think surgery will help with your back, @Grammy57.

Has the other surgeon with whom you spoke seen the EMG results? Perhaps it's worth sharing them with him and getting his throughs.
 
@benne68 That's a good idea. He did say that right now the benefits do not outweigh the risks. The first neurosurgeon said I could have the surgery whenever I was ready. I have an appointment for my hand on Friday and will go from there. Thank you.
 
I see the other surgeon tomorrow. The one that did not recommend surgery. I will see what he has to say. He ordered an MRI of both cervical and thoracic spine and X-rays which will be done there just before I see him. I am waiting to see what he says before making any other decisions. The pain has calmed down for which I am grateful. I also have my hand/arm surgery scheduled for 3 weeks from now.
 
I'm glad the pain has decreased and your next appointment is tomorrow. We'll be waiting for your update.
If you tell us the date of your hand/arm surgery, what they are doing on the left or right, we'll add it to your signature.
 
I saw the second opinion Dr again today. He had ordered an MRI and X-rays. The last time I saw him, he said surgery would not help. That was also my first appointment with him. This time he said I could have surgery if the pain gets worse but he thinks that the longer I can wait the better off I will be. I wish I would have thought to ask if I was getting worse but I just didn't. He wants to see me in a year with more MRIs and X-rays. Since the pain has calmed down, I am willing to wait. I'm not sure why it's better but I am thankful. I did buy a massager and I do think that helps. He mentioned that surgery could be done from the front or the back. The other 2 Drs said laminectomy. I didn't question further as surgery isn't in the near future. Now I can concentrate on my hand/arm issue for the time being. Thank you. Oh, the first surgeon also said the timing was up to me.
 
Good Morning All:
I've many ortho and neuro surgeries -spine and , hip, shoulder and knee replacements. I've been on this site before though not for a year or so.
I'm 70, good shape though largely deconditioned, as all these surgeries have for the most part been close together.
Coming up 3/25 I now have a XLIFT -L1-2 , PDLF T10-S-1 and while I've had 3 spine surgeries prior, I know this one is going to be a bear.
Anyone have one , or something similar?
Thanks and enjoy your day

​

 
Coming up 3/25 I now have a XLIFT -L1-2 , PDLF T10-S-1 and while I've had 3 spine surgeries prior, I know this one is going to be a bear.
Welcome back to Bonesmart and Best Wishes for your upcoming surgery.

Just to let you know, Bonesmart has a two tiered membership, and you are currently a Basic Member, which enables you to only search the forums, and read about other recoveries, and post on threads already established, as long as your post relates to the original member’s subject.

If you want a more personal and interactive experience, including starting a thread of your own, as well as input from the Bonesmart Staff, I hope you will choose one of our options to become a member of the Insiders Club. Here are some links for you to check out:
Membership/Insiders Club
Guidelines for Posting

You can also join the Insiders Club easily by clicking on your username and avatar and then selecting MEMBERSHIP in the drop-down menu.

We are a non-profit organization and the small contribution cost goes toward keeping BoneSmart available for everyone.

Best Wishes! :flwrysmile:
 
Follow up, I meant the upcoming surgery is 3/25/26
 
Hi @bk321. Thanks for providing your corrected surgery information. We will add it to your signature.

However, please do not continue to post about your situation in Grammy's thread. It is not permitted unless you are posting to help her. Describing your story here derails her thread, which is unfair to her.

As Jockette explained above, we changed our membership program last year to ensure that we can continue to keep BoneSmart operating. If you would like to start a thread to share your journey and seek advice, you should join our Insiders Club. Hope to see you there.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom