TKR 2nd TKR 10/18/23- recovery time

I just want to say I am really struggling with excruciating pain tonight. I can’t get comfortable elevating. Icing even hurts. I can’t quit crying
Very different from last time.
I just had my right tkr oct 30th. I had my left done in 2016 and this time was very different. The first one I was in the hospital 2 or 3 nights. This time just overnight. The hospital wouldn't discharge me the first time until my pain was under control. This time was a nightmare. I had unrelenting pain (pain scale if around 8) from the time the spinal sedation wore off until 5 days post op. They didn't give you the pain meds automatically, you had to ask every 4 hours and then they were 20 to 25 minutes late. They told me they would give me a half dose of pain meds prior to PT but never dus. I was in excruciating pain and was so embarrassed because I cried through the entire time I told my surgeon my pain level was 8 and he discharged me anyway. I had no pain meds on discharge and had to wait until the following day because they called them into the wrong pharmacy. They also messed up my PT as well
@DogMom45 I am so sorry to hear of your ordeal. What is the reluctance with pain control and giving patients what they need? I sure hope you have you pain under control by now.

My OS had me fill several RX 2 weeks prior to surgery so I had enough at home for the first week. It’s interesting to me how OS handle things so differently.

Best wishes for healing and full recovery.
 
I have a question about quads. For the first 2 weeks couldn’t get my quad to fire. Now it’s fired all the time. It’s so ‘on’ that I can’t relax it and it’s so very tired. I can’t sleep. It hurts. It won’t relax or let go. I’ve searched for ideas for relief. Tried ice, heat massage, stretching, mediation- you name it. It’s starting to drive me just a bit nuts. Has anyone else experienced this? How did you find relief?
 
Hi KPup,
I am sorry for the pain and sleep loss you're dealing with.
Does what you describe feel like a spasm? Is there any twitching involved or is your quad hard / stiff? Please consider contacting your surgeon's office so a member of his care team is able to advise through conversation. Possibly you need a muscle relaxer, temporarily?
@KPup
 
Hi KPup,
I am sorry for the pain and sleep loss you're dealing with.
Does what you describe feel like a spasm? Is there any twitching involved or is your quad hard / stiff? Please consider contacting your surgeon's office so a member of his care team is able to advise through conversation. Possibly you need a muscle relaxer, temporarily?
@KPup
@Layla it’s like I’ve done a quad set to contract the muscle and can’t get it to it relax. It’s been almost 24 hours and I’m still contracted. No spasms or twitches. It’s stuck in a quad set.
 
Ugh! I'm so sorry, KPup. It must be miserable.
Please call your surgeon's office for advice so you're able to obtain some relief. I'm sure they'll have something constructive to offer...
@KPup
 
I agree with Layla. If you are in physical therapy, let your therapist know what has happened. Sometimes they can use trigger point massage to help release muscles that are in spasm. Your surgeon or GP can also prescribe a muscle relaxant that may help. Applying heat is another good option to try.
 
Stopping by to say :hi: and extend anniversary wishes.
Happy One Month Anniversary! At least I hope it's happy.
Has your quad muscle calmed down yet? Please let us know how you're doing. We do care.
I hope your weekend is a pleasant one, KPup.
@KPup
 
Stopping by to say :hi: and extend anniversary wishes.
Happy One Month Anniversary! At least I hope it's happy.
Has your quad muscle calmed down yet? Please let us know how you're doing. We do care.
I hope your weekend is a pleasant one, KPup.
@KPup
Thanks for checking in @Layla ! Haven’t been online in while as I am back to work part time starting 11/13. At 6 weeks post op now. Have appointment w/OS tomorrow so will provide a more thorough update afterwards.

Quad and hamstring pain has settled down and I am off opiates, at least only at night every once in awhile. ROM is excellent at 115 last week. I’m tired, sore and swollen, but know that improves with time. I am so grateful for the support provided. The first days and weeks are so difficult and having a team to help means the world.
 
Best Wishes for your appointment tomorrow!
We will look forward to your update, when you have the time.
@KPup
 
6-week post op visit.

X-rays look great! First time in about 45 years that my knees look healthy. A big win!!!

ROM is good. Flexion 114 and extension -2

I was surprised that OS said 114 is excellent and that as swelling goes down it will improve. I thought they wanted us at 120 by this time.

Released to fly. Just get an aisle seat so I can get up and walk around. No more than a 3 hour flight and use wheelchair at airport. Think I’ll wait a few more months though as I can only sit 10-15 at a time.

Work- because I went back at 4 weeks he said to expect recovery to take longer and do not return full time until next year.

He said that recovery from my appendix removal scheduled for 12/27 may take longer and that it could also impact my healing journey for TKR.

Next visit at 1-year anniversary.

Now the hard part.

Christmas is just less than 3 weeks away. Normally by this time of year inside/outside lights are up and tree is decorated and all gifts purchased, wrapped and mailed.

I haven’t done a darn thing. Have no energy to do anything so am spending time on my phone playing games and listening to books major procrastination!!!

I started asking myself if I might be depressed and cried for a few hours. I guess that’s a big yes!

I find it hard to get dressed, cook, walk the dog and talk to anyone.

I am not prone to depression so I am hopeful that this is temporary.

I tell myself that rest is important, that it’s exactly what I should be doing and so on.

Anyway- I wanted to share the good news as well as my struggle with depression.

TKR is so hard. But there is light at the end of the tunnel. For example, last night I slept for six hours and didn’t wake up in pain one time. Major win!!!

Oh the last bit of good news? My scar is healing very nicely.

Thank you bonesmart family. I couldn’t make it without y’all.
 
I am not prone to depression so I am hopeful that this is temporary.
I think almost all of us go through this during our recovery, here‘s an article from Bonesmart’s Recovery Guidelines:
 
Christmas is just less than 3 weeks away. Normally by this time of year inside/outside lights are up and tree is decorated and all gifts purchased, wrapped and mailed.

I haven’t done a darn thing. Have no energy to do anything so am spending time on my phone playing games and listening to books major procrastination!!!

I started asking myself if I might be depressed and cried for a few hours. I guess that’s a big yes!

I find it hard to get dressed, cook, walk the dog and talk to anyone.

I thought I was reading my post! my surgery was Oct. 16th and I too had a stellar doc's report recently. I'm still on opiates, but I think I overdid it last week and experienced more than usual pain. However, I am taking them in longer spurts of time. Today is good. But every day last week was not. I can so relate to your post. I think I wrote in one of my posts that I am going to ignore the holidays! LOL. but I can at least excuse myself and set expectations with my family. I also guilt myself by thinking "I could be cleaning out a drawer or sorting through stuff etc etc" but I just don't feel like it!! and definitely don't want to visit with anyone!

It is depressing, to feel like you can do more than you can do. The beginning stages of healing and so on are so hard. To concentrate on the 'wins" is a good thing to do. and I try to remind myself that I'm not just lazing around, I am HEALING! :yay:

Just wanted to reach out and say I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL. This too shall pass (EVENTUALLY):old:. Hang in there!:dubious:
 
Anyway- I wanted to share the good news as well as my struggle with depression.
You're not alone. Here is a thread on the very topic, if interested.
Depression/post-op blues - open for all
Remember it's temporary and know that we're here for support always.
Wishing you a peaceful evening and Sunday!
 
I haven’t done anything about Christmas yet either. No energy for any projects yet. But I’ve given myself permission to let everything slide until next week and then start with accomplishing one thing a day. I plan to blitz my Christmas shopping on Amazon. A lot of my family members do Amazon wish lists.
 
higI have done the majority of my Christmas shopping online this year…… now I just need to muster up some energy to wrap it all and deliver the gifts!!!
I’m sorry you’re feeling so low but I’m thankful that people share their feelings through this forum as I, for one, can usually relate to most of the stuff posted on here by people on a similar timeframe to myself.
I wish my ROM was as good as yours at 6 weeks post op….. 80 flexion was the most I could achieve this week at physio…..
I don’t see my consultant till 21/12 so I’m praying for a miracle to happen by then!!!!
I really wanted to get out in the fresh air and go for a little walk today but I’ve woken up to snow so that’s no longer an option…. So I’m going to stay indoors wrapped up warm and ice and elevate my way through the day….. sending you best wishes and a hug :hugzz:
 
I am not going big for Christmas this year. I have made donations instead of buying gifts my family doesn't need. We don't have any littles in our family. So I used Amazon to fill a Samaritan's Purse shoebox. It's amazing what you can find on there! I have also made donations for local angel trees. I have a few homemade gifts. Since I am going for another surgery Dec 19, I am doing what I can.
 
I have a question. Starting to freak myself out a bit, and imaging that all kinds of things may be wrong.

Although I do have swelling and muscle pain, my biggest pain is bone pain. I think it’s likely inflammation. But the shin pain is unbearable at times, and hurts up into my hip joint.

Is that normal? It started happening after my six week visit, so wasn’t able to ask surgeon.
 
Back
Top Bottom