TKR 22 years old Sept 8 - knee won't straighten

Katie, my heart aches for you - you are younger than my three daughters and wish you weren't dealing with this. You might want to ask about a pain clinic in addition to seeing orthopedic surgeon, maybe something besides meds would help.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks this is really tough :( I think physio is going to look at referring me to a pain clinic because at this point the rare times I do Take hydromorphone Oxy or other 'natural' drugs is more or less to just make me fall asleep and not feel the pain

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
 
Your case is complicated so I am unable to comment in regard to your ROM. So I agree with Roy, this is really something you need to discuss with your surgeon. Do you have a follow-up appointment with him? If not, can you contact him and ask for one?
I have a follow up March 4th

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
 
ROM is range of motion - a measurement how many degrees your knee bends/straightens


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
ROM is range of motion - a measurement how many degrees your knee bends/straightens


3. Right TKR due to knee stiffness (only
45 degree flexion) and pain and removal of plate 1 Feb 2016

2. Broken tibial plateau and knee dislocation, surgery with plate inserted 22Sept 2015

1. Right THR 17 Dec 2013

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
Thanks :)

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
 
Hi Katie1624, Sorry you've had to go through so much in your life already, you must be a very strong young lady. I also have a sensitive stomach, I am able to take Tramadol, have they tried that for you ? I also depend on ice packs and my cryo cuff. Can you call and have them move your appt up ? March 4th is a long way off if you're in pain. There is a lot of information at bonesmart that will help you get through this, and great people who understand what you are going through.
 
Katie, was your knee bent before your TKR? If it's been bent for a long time, the tendons and ligaments will have shortened and it can take a long time (and lots of patience) for them to lengthen again.

It is quite common for extension to take longer to achieve than flexion, but yours does seem to be taking a long time, so I agree that a consultation with your surgeon is the right approach.
 
Hi Katie1624, Sorry you've had to go through so much in your life already, you must be a very strong young lady. I also have a sensitive stomach, I am able to take Tramadol, have they tried that for you ? I also depend on ice packs and my cryo cuff. Can you call and have them move your appt up ? March 4th is a long way off if you're in pain. There is a lot of information at bonesmart that will help you get through this, and great people who understand what you are going through.
Hey there I've tried calling they won't get me in sooner and the tramacet didn't seem to help [emoji19]

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
 
Katie, was your knee bent before your TKR? If it's been bent for a long time, the tendons and ligaments will have shortened and it can take a long time (and lots of patience) for them to lengthen again.

It is quite common for extension to take longer to achieve than flexion, but yours does seem to be taking a long time, so I agree that a consultation with your surgeon is the right approach.
It was not bent before and strange part is it was straight right after surgery this bend thing happened like 3 weeks after surgery

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
 
Well , I went to see my surgeon finally and he seems to think 6 months after surgery that being stuck at 25 degree extention (not bend ) is just going to take work . I am beyond frustrated and do not think that this is right he says to keep working on it . I have no energy left for this is emotionally and physically draining .. went out and bought a massage stick with beads and working on it everyday day now and he put me on celebrex for the swelling .. frustrated
Sept 8, 2015 trkr

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
 
Have you tried what was mentioned a few posts back? I found that letting my heel sit on an ottoman while I sat in a chair helped extension. I imagine it will take a while, but it worked for me and others.
 
Hi Katie, please see my signature below; the exercises thread gives some good approaches to extension (there's loads of ways of doing it mind).

I think your surgeon's response is weird; your extension is worse (much worse!) than before surgery, it seems to me that there must be a proper reason for it. The only thing I can think of is to approach a different surgeon, a revision specialist with no connection to your original surgeon, for a 2nd opinion.
 
Have you tried what was mentioned a few posts back? I found that letting my heel sit on an ottoman while I sat in a chair helped extension. I imagine it will take a while, but it worked for me and others.
I have been trying that for so long

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
 
Hi Katie, please see my signature below; the exercises thread gives some good approaches to extension (there's loads of ways of doing it mind).

I think your surgeon's response is weird; your extension is worse (much worse!) than before surgery, it seems to me that there must be a proper reason for it. The only thing I can think of is to approach a different surgeon, a revision specialist with no connection to your original surgeon, for a 2nd opinion.
I think that may be my next step just not sure where or how to get a referral to a revision doctor

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
 
Katie1624,
You can start looking for an OS who does revisions by asking your primary physician. You can also start looking at the surgeons web sites, they will usually say they do revisions and/or complex joint reconstruction.
Do a web search for Winnipeg orthopedic surgeons, a whole host of Dr rating web sites came up. You can read the reviews and give the offices a call to see if they do revisions, and if so how many. You want some one who does at least 50 or more a year.
 
just not sure where or how to get a referral to a revision doctor
BoneSmart is a fair beginning :)

Anyone who's gone through this care to comment? Near Winnipeg would be a bonus!

Your general practice doctor might also be a good reference point.
 
Katie1624,
You can start looking for an OS who does revisions by asking your primary physician. You can also start looking at the surgeons web sites, they will usually say they do revisions and/or complex joint reconstruction.
Do a web search for Winnipeg orthopedic surgeons, a whole host of Dr rating web sites came up. You can read the reviews and give the offices a call to see if they do revisions, and if so how many. You want some one who does at least 50 or more a year.
Thanks just having trouble finding someoen in my area

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
 
Katie, you may have to go out of your area to find the right surgeon. Of course, that's inconvenient for you, but one good thing about it is that a surgeon from out of your area would be less likely to have any personal or professional contacts with your current surgeon. A new surgeon would be able to look at your knee with new eyes, not influenced by your current surgeon's opinion.
 
Surgeon is saying he can't do a revision for one year I just wish I knew if anyone is as far along (8 months ) as me abs can't straighten :(

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom