2018 August Hot Shots - Are you having knee surgery in August?

@Izzy59 I'm so sorry to hear of your infection. On the good side, you don't want that infection anywhere your knee. Let us know when you'll have your knee done and best of luck. Feel better!
 
I have brought forward this month's list so that you can easily see who your surgical buddies are.


Welcome to our latest and all August Hot Shots!


[Bonesmart.org] 2018 August Hot Shots - Are you having knee surgery in August?


Feel free post your surgery date in this thread, and I will add you to the list. Start a thread of your own in the Pre-Op Knee Section to post comments and share your journey toward knee replacement. Here's the link that gives you the instructions you need to do this: Starting a new thread and posting


01 August 2018 mikeboaz64, Biggmac
02 August 2018 sanderss
03 August 2018 yesyvonne (her second)
06 August 2018 ricekrispy, sparky9059
07 August 2018 redsox100, bertha, Bethy (bilateral)
08 August 2018 ladygolfer (her second), mngirl (partial), Ti22, Picasso90 (revision)
10 August 2018 tarajenni
13 August 2018 momweb (her second), KitCatCove (her second), Mickey77
14 August 2018 candybak (revision), bertha2493, Chrism
15 August 2018 Kathy0427, Geri773
16 August 2018 DLR (her first)
20 August 2018 kildahls (bilateral), DblDn65 (bilateral)
22 August 2018 Minnie's knees (her second), MJR, KoolBreeze (his first).
23 August 2018 Netra709
24 August 2018 Ang8793 (partial)
27 August 2018 InkedMarie, Nuknee2018
30 August 2018 Ark_ PB
31 August 2018 psuodu (bilateral), Joy77
 
[Bonesmart.org] 2018 August Hot Shots - Are you having knee surgery in August?
@Joy77, you have been officially added to the MONTH surgery list! You are now officially am Augusty Hot Shot!

Welcome to the BoneSmart forum. We’re so pleased that you have joined us here.
We want to share your journey with you so please start a thread of your own in the proper forum.
By starting your own thread, you and your questions and concerns will receive the attention they deserve.


For additional help, look in the white heading under the blue, click on "Help & Info", then click on "How to Use This Forum". Lots of info there to help you navigate the forum.

We are here to help in any way we can because We Care!
 
@Patient101 I feel pretty much the same as you. Tonight I'm sitting here thinking that my knee doesn't hurt all that much. Yeah, stairs are an issue, walking fast for a long period of time is an issue, going down hills is an issue, but other than that I'm fine. My surgery is the day after tomorrow and for some reason I am a wreck tonight. Like you, I can't help but wonder...will it be better? And this is my second knee, I think I know what I'm in for and yet, the anxiety is creeping in big time. Help!!
 
[Bonesmart.org] 2018 August Hot Shots - Are you having knee surgery in August?
@sparky9059, you have been officially added to the MONTH surgery list! You are now officially am Augusty Hot Shot!

Welcome to the BoneSmart forum. We’re so pleased that you have joined us here.
We want to share your journey with you so please start a thread of your own in the proper forum.
By starting your own thread, you and your questions and concerns will receive the attention they deserve.

For additional help, look in the white heading under the blue, click on "Help & Info", then click on "How to Use This Forum". Lots of info there to help you navigate the forum.

We are here to help in any way we can because We Care!
 
Hi All!

I’m from Southern California and having LTKR on August 31, 2018. Take a look at that crooked and arthritic left knee in my photo... ouch!
 
Hi @KitCatCove, I noticed that you and I are having surgery on the same day. Are you ready? This is my second and I'm as ready as can be. Tomorrow I go for a glue test. My last surgery was 3 years ago and I had staples on the incision. Now, my surgeon uses glue, but I'm highly allergic to adhesives and nervous about the possibility that I'll be allergic to the glue. So, we're running a test tomorrow to see how I react. I'm hoping all goes well. I can't believe it'll only be a few more days. Starting to get a little anxious.
 
Hi @Joy77 . My surgery is tomorrow. I'm not quite as crooked as you, but the knee is definitely not straight. I had an ACL reconstruction back in 1979 that changed the structure and form of my left knee. I've known I've been bone on bone for over 3 years, but I've finally decided that now was the time.
 
Pretty sure I did that wrong! Yes! Anxious! Tomorrow is my right TKR. I had the left done in November and it went pretty well. I was pretty knocked kneed, more on the left, and I'm anxious my legs will match! I know that sounds irrational, but, that's my worry. Right now, my right leg is functionally shorter. When it's straightened out, if the spacer and whatever is cleaned out, hopefully, I'll be mostly straight-legged. For the vain me, that is what I'm looking forward to most. I'll get through PT.
 
@KitCatCove that's ok, just put @and the person's name you want to refer to. I had my right knee done 3 years ago. Tomorrow they'll do my left. The big advantage is that I should be able to drive sooner this time. I had a little meltdown last night. Am I ready? Should I be doing this now? Why am I doing this now? And then I crawled up the stairs and I knew I was over reacting and it was time. I'll sleep downstairs for 2 weeks since we have an extra room there and a futon that opens up. I already have a huge scar down the outside of my left knee from a 1979 ACL reconstruction. My surgeon said he's going to do everything he can so my new scar isn't ugly next to the old one. Isn't that sweet? Only time will tell. I don't go in until noon tomorrow. It's going to be a looooonnnnng day!
 
@momweb I'm wishing you the best for tomorrow and will be sending you good thoughts. Getting rid of that bone on bone will be a relief! I hope you feel good enough to post how you are doing as I'd like to follow your progress. That's exciting that you'll now have both knees done!

@KitCatCove you're getting your second leg done then you'll be all set. I wish you the best during your recovery. I'll be watching for posts from you as well as I'll be only three weeks behind. I'm sending good thoughts your way.

Positive thinking goes a long way so focus on the outcome of having this all done!
 
Thanks @Joy77 . I'm actually going in to set up my knee recovery forum. I don't remember how, but somewhere here it tells you. I'm hoping to post as soon as I can after surgery, providing I'm awake!:zzz::heehee:
 
@Joy77, @momweb, and @KitCatCove,
[Bonesmart.org] 2018 August Hot Shots - Are you having knee surgery in August?
Dear Members, This thread is for listing your surgery date and to give you a place to see who is having surgery along with you this month.

Discussion should take place between you in your own threads in the pre op forum. You and your questions and concerns will not get the attention they deserve on this thread like they will in your own threads.

Here are some links to help you start your own thread, locate your thread, and locate another member's thread:
Starting a new thread and posting
How can I find my threads and posts?
Finding another member's threads and posts
 
Last edited:
Hi fellow August hot shots

I am scheduled for a left TKR on Aug 27. I am told be ready to feel like I was hit by a Mac truck so worried about the pain. I remember my ACL and medial meniscus surgery back in the 80’s and was miserable during the recovery so now am preparing in advance!

I am working with a personal trainer to strengthen now and still working to drop some weight. Yet I dread the pain as I remember too well the ACL and medial meniscus repair surgery I had in the 80’s after a ski accident.

On a positive note it helps to read what to do in advance and know I have a group who is going through the same experience to offer advice and commiserate with.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
[Bonesmart.org] 2018 August Hot Shots - Are you having knee surgery in August?
@Nuknee2018, you have been officially added to the August surgery list! You are now officially an August Hot Shot!

Welcome to the BoneSmart forum. We’re so pleased that you have joined us here. We want to share your journey with you so please start a thread of your own in the proper forum.

To start a new thread about your recovery, hover your mouse over "Knee" on the blue line at the top of the page for the drop down menu. Click on the "Pre Op" forum. On the upper right hand side under the "Joint Replacement Awareness Day" banner, you will see a black rectangle with the words "Post New Thread" in white. Click on this, enter whatever title you want for your thread, but do try to keep it short and sweet, then tab down to the dialogue box and start typing your post which can be as long as you need for it to be.

By starting your own thread, you and your questions and concerns will receive the attention they deserve. Just FYI: get all your reading about knees done before the 13th. Knees are a bit more difficult than hips---so be prepared.

For additional help, look in the white heading under the blue, click on "Help & Info", then click on "How to Use This Forum". Lots of info there to help you navigate the forum.

We are here to help in any way we can because We Care!
 
Hello fellow Hot Shots (love the name for our group). I'm scheduled for Left TKR or PKR on August 27. I won't find out which procedure is planned until next week when I go back to my surgeon and review results of pre-op testing, including MRI, which is happening 5 hours from now. One of the issues is my history of nickel allergy. I'll be having patch testing for assorted metals (plus bone cement, I believe) starting on Friday, August 17. Since it's over a weekend, the patches will be on 3 days instead of 2. Has anyone here gone through that testing? I've heard the itching can be pretty intense if one or more are "positive" results. The patches come off in the allergist's office on Monday, then I have to go back again on Wednesday for her to interpret the results.

Since I just got my surgery date last Thursday (August 9), I've been running around (more like limping around) since then with all of the other pre-op testing. Yesterday was the lab (blood, urine, MRSA swabs), EKG and chest x-rays at the hospital followed by the 1-hour joint replacement class there. Our local medical center (a regional trauma center plus top rated joint replacement facility) has a lot of support services for those of us going through this experience! I'm sure part of that is demographics, with so many of us who are Baby Boomers getting new knees and hips. Anyway, as per above, today is MRI day, then Friday I also have surgical clearance appointment at my primary doctor's office and the allergist.

Besides all of these medical appointments, I've been getting other things organized in anticipation of recovering from the surgery.

I'm so glad to have discovered this group and have been reading posts a little bit obsessively. From past health issues in my life, I know how helpful it can be to share observations, resources, practical suggestions and more as we all go through this journey together. I look forward to getting to know the rest of you in our group and wish everyone a good recovery!
 
[Bonesmart.org] 2018 August Hot Shots - Are you having knee surgery in August?
@NanaBeach, you have been officially added to the September surgery list! You are now officially a September Sapphire!

Welcome to the BoneSmart forum. We’re so pleased that you have joined us here. We want to share your journey with you so please start a thread of your own in the proper forum.
To start a new thread about your recovery, see the instructions above. By starting your own thread, you and your questions and concerns will receive the attention they deserve.

For additional help, look in the white heading under the blue, click on "Help & Info", then click on "How to Use This Forum". Lots of info there to help you navigate the forum.

We are here to help in any way we can because We Care!
 
@InkedMarie Hi. We will have to stay in touch as we progress. I was told my insurance initially denied cover so not sure it’s going to happen now. But my doc did dictate an appeal to send. Time is ticking!
 
@Nuknee2018 I’m sure your surgeon will get your coverage approved. I’ve heard of others who said their doctor had to re-word things. My approval came last week; guess I’m ready!
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom