2014 July Sparklers - Are you having knee surgery in July?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have brought forward this month's list so that you can easily see who your surgical buddies are.

Welcome to our latest and all July Sparklers!

[Bonesmart.org] 2014 July Sparklers - Are you having knee surgery in July?


Feel free post your surgery date in this thread, and I will add you to the list. However, please start a thread of your own in the Pre-Op Knee Section to post comments and share your journey toward knee replacement. Here's the link that gives you the instructions you need to do this: Starting a new thread and posting

02 July14 @wnygal
03 July 14 @71Beetle (her second)
07 July 14 @knees (her first)
08 July 14 @Roselover, @mark2667 (bilateral)
14 July 14 @Monah, @Betsy-Knees-7-2014, @doingmykneenext
23 July 14 @Racey60
28 July 14 @samatney, @meechmom, @Daystar
 
RTKR on Bastille Day, July 14 - - - if I don't weasel out til after the summer heat in Arizona.....

We'll just have to make our place under the ceiting fan. Fresno is hot also. Will you be going home after surgery or to rehab?
 
I am scheduled to have my right knee replaced on July 8th.
@Roselover , I see you are right in front of me on the 14th. And I also will get a new right knee. I wanted to do both but none of the Drs in Fresno ( Ca ) will do 2.
So let's go the road together. Will you be going home or to rehab.? I am going to Rehab.
Have fun reading all this gr8 stuff.
 
I think during the heat of July and August will be a good time to recuperate from our RTKRs in the Southwest. It’s too hot to do any thing outdoors.
I will be going home when I leave the hospital.
 
Gotcha, home you will go, I see you are my age too. Are you using Medicare and have you heard any specific instructions regarding their coverage? My supplemental is Medicare also so I think it will go smoothly.
 
I'm scheduled to have a LTKR on July 28. (This is the first time I have posted. Not sure if I'm doing it right!)
 
Hi Daystar and Welcome.
Your post looks good to me. I'll be having my RTK on July 14th, so I'll be ahead of you a couple of weeks. We're also the same age'ish. So glad we can keep each other on course with these exercises. urgh..

What do you like to do read? knit? listen to music?

Glad you found this site before your surgery, plenty of info to learn. BFN, Betsy
 
HI Mark 2667.,
I see you are also on the East coast. Did you have to talk the Dr into doing your BTKR? Here in Fresno, I couldn't find one that would say yes to both legs. I guess they think 65 is old... over the hill. NOT!

Did you have injury from Sports? We'll travel this road with you.
Betsy
 
Hi Betsy-Knees-7-2014,
No not really I'm totaly bone on bone in both knees. My Dr. gave me the choice of doing them both at the same time, or one then the other a month apart. Your not over the hill. I don't believe your age means anything. I have heard that some Dr. just won't do Bilateral, maybe a money thing. I took out my right knee playing sports in high school and tore up my left falling thru a roof at a house fire. (Vol. Firefighter). Been in pain and putting it off for over 6 years.
 
Whow a Firefighter... you rock!
I wish I could do both because I think if you're going to have pain in the other knee, it may as well be on new parts. But I didn't want to waste the summer.
Do you know about the ice machine? One make is DonJoy Iceman and it circulates cold water for us. I am going to ask the Rep who supplies the CPM machine to send Mr Iceman...
Will you be going home or to Rehab? Should be an adventure for all of us.
 
BTKR July 8
@mark2667 I had a BTKR---I think that, if the OS is OK with it and you are healthy, if yo need both done, it is the way to go!

Recovery can be a bit more challenging, as you do not have a non-surgical knee, but once you are done, you can look back and realize that you only have one pre-op, one surgery, one hospital stay, and one recovery.

Plus, I can teach you the "BTKR Secret Handshake"!
 
Hi, Betsy. Thanks for the welcome! I'm so glad I found this site. I like to read, and I spend way too much time on my iPad and PC. How about you?

In response to other posts: My surgeon recommended that I do both knees at the same time, which is what he recommends for all his patients under 70. But when he realized that I had a DVT and pulmonary embolisms a few years ago, he said I couldn't do both at the same time. I was relieved that I don't have to make that decision.

The only ice water thing I have heard of is the Cryo Cuff. I'm just about at the point of ordering one, but I guess I should research other kinds first.

Betsy, why are you going to a rehab place? I thought that decision was made after the surgery. My husband will take a few days off from work, and then his sister is coming for maybe a week. There are several things I need to take care of in the next few weeks, though.

Cindy
 
Just heard from the OS and I will be haveing a LTKR on July 15, 2014. Now I'm getting nervous. But thanks to BS I think I'm getting well prepared for the recovery process.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, jsm. Welcome to the July group. I just joined yesterday. I'm glad to have people to keep to keep me company.

Cindy
 
Thanks @Daystar and welcome and we can keep each other company during recovery. See ya later
 
It's official! July 31st will be my LTKR!! Been two years since right one and I think I am ready for this!!

Do I still need to start a new thread here as I already have one in the recovery thread?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom